Dark chocolate

Swedish Fish

Granola

Fruit juices

Waldenfarms No Calorie Products

·
Registered
212 Posts
You'll have to check the ingredients. Here's a list of animal ingredients on Happy Cow. If your issue is with bone char sugar, your options are typically to either contact the company or not buy the product. For the fruit juices, from what I've heard most are filtered through gelatin. That's another one where you'll need to contact individual companies.

Edit: My post was from a US perspective. I don't think bone char is as much of an issue in the UK. I'm sure somebody else here can help you on that.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Sherbet - no

Sorbet - sometimes

Betty Crocker Frosting - i have no idea

Frozen yogurt (tart flavors) - no

Diet Coke & Diet Sprite - yes

Dark chocolate - sometimes

Swedish Fish - yes

Granola - rarely (usually has honey)

Fruit juices - typically

Waldenfarms No Calorie Products - i have no idea

But yeah, checking the ingredients yourself is really the way to go.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yes...please look on UK based sites (if the products you are talking about are from the UK and not US imports) American sugar is filtered through animal bone...uk sugar is not..brands like Tate and Lyle and Silver Spoon are Vegan.
Since you are in the UK try looking at supermarket own brand stuff in Sainsburys they label all their own brand vegan items...places like Tesco and Asda, youll need to become fluent in label reading lol.

As for the juice thing again check own brand stuff most supermarkets will label vegan juices or just have a quick look at the ingredient list on the side of the carton...Someone can correct me but im 99% sure UK juice is geletan free...

On another note seriously what on earth do you Americans do to your food...why filter something like sugar or juice through an animal by product...YAK! I feel for you guys!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sherbet- this means different things in the USA and the UK. If you mean Sherbet powder, it might be, check ingredients.

Sorbet- can be, check ingredients.

Betty Crocker Frosting- don't know, check ingredients

Frozen yogurt (tart flavors)- only if you freeze some soya yoghurt. dairy frozen yoghurt is obviously not vegan.

Diet Coke & Diet Sprite- yes

Dark chocolate- some- check ingredients

Swedish Fish- don't know

Granola- depends (honey is the main offender)

Fruit juices- usually (as long as no 'added omega 3' which is fish oil

Waldenfarms No Calorie Products- don't know

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Everything---Read the label

Every time. Ingredient lists change once in a while.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Yes I agree with reading UK labels , their labels are different then US however in the US our Better Crocker frosting has high fructose corn syrup in it and I avoid it because I don't want to get things with HFCS , I would advise to find a Vegan recipe for Frosting and make it yourself.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
If you have a smartphone you could D/L apps that help you to I.D ingredients when you are in the supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

On another note seriously what on earth do you Americans do to your food...why filter something like sugar or juice through an animal by product...YAK! I feel for you guys!
Don't waste too much time feeling bad for them, most of them on VB recently made it abundantly clear that they didn't really care about it and ate the products made using bone char anyway.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Don't waste too much time feeling bad for them, most of them on VB recently made it abundantly clear that they didn't really care about it and ate the products made using bone char anyway.
Always so kind.
I'm pretty convinced by now that everyone from Australia has **** that smells like roses, too.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Always so kind.
I'm pretty convinced by now that everyone from Australia has shiit that smells like roses, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterphonetica View Post

Ummm, what on earth is Swedish Fish?
Little gummy fish. They're actually gelatin free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

what can be in a sorbet that makes it non vegan?
I think some are stabilized with gelatin or something, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

what can be in a sorbet that makes it non vegan?
Most sorbets I have seen are vegan, but they can sometimes contain dairy (in which case, I think it really ought to be called sherbet, right?). Gelatin might be an issue too, but I haven't see it in any that I've looked at (US grocery store brands, at least).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorbet should just be water ice, but often has egg white in it, or has dairy in it. I recall having an argument with staff about that in Pizza Express.

Thanks for the info on Swedish Fish!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Always so kind.
I'm pretty convinced by now that everyone from Australia has shiit that smells like roses, too.
All I do is point out the truth to the people who call themselves vegan while making use of animal products that it is wrong as vegan to do that. Probably because of their own guilt about it, people like you choose to be nasty and insult me over it. Interesting parallel with defensive omni psychology right there.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
For the record, I do not eat oreos.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

All I do is point out the truth to the people who call themselves vegan while making use of animal products that it is wrong as vegan to do that. Probably because of their own guilt about it, people like you choose to be nasty and insult me over it. Interesting parallel with defensive omni psychology right there.
Please, some of us just do our best. You do not live in the United States, you do not have to put up with all this confusion with bone char, especially in an omnivore family where most of the vegan stuff could have bone char filtered sugar. It's hard enough just avoiding eggs and dairy and honey and all those animal products where I live, and I'm just trying my best. I feel like I need to draw the line somewhere, I need some sanity about obsessing over every little detail, and I stop at sugar. I love animals, and I try my best to make good choices to prevent their harm, and since animals aren't killed just for bone char, it's more of making use of the leftover waste, then I focus on all the animal products, which make bigger impact against animals.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Please, some of us just do our best. You do not live in the United States, you do not have to put up with all this confusion with bone char, especially in an omnivore family where most of the vegan stuff could have bone char filtered sugar. It's hard enough just avoiding eggs and dairy and honey and all those animal products where I live, and I'm just trying my best. I feel like I need to draw the line somewhere, I need some sanity about obsessing over every little detail, and I stop at sugar. I love animals, and I try my best to make good choices to prevent their harm, and since animals aren't killed just for bone char, it's more of making use of the leftover waste, then I focus on all the animal products, which make bigger impact against animals.
I am also having trouble with the bone char issue. It sucks because most ingredients just say *sugar* and you have no idea which kind it came from. I have like 5 different apps on my phone for these circumstances when I need help but not everything in the universe is on there so I generally try to avoid what I don't know about.
That being said- unless I'm eating at home, I have virtually no control over sugar. You could order a tomato soup at a restaurant- ask if its dairy free and meat free, and for some random reason, the chef flavored it with a sprinkle of sugar and has no clue what bone char even is if you asked him. Then you are sipping the soup agonizing over *hmmm I might taste sugar- gah- do I say something?* when you are at a wedding dinner for your sister in law and the best man is making a speech. Just not appropriate. So I eat it. *shrug*
It would be easier for all of us in the States if they just didn't use it. But they sneak sugar in everything and you can't always know. Maybe we can write someone a letter?
I just don't know how to avoid it- it will find its way on my plate- and sometimes I won't know about it. So I can't let it get to me and I can't let my brain spiral all over the place about it. I need to have a good time with friends instead of explaining my problem with bone char while they roll their eyes and scratch their heads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts