VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently given birth to a lovely baby boy. I have decided to go Veg but I don't know how to tell my parents and family as I know they will criticise especially with having a child now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some people are very sceptical of veggie/vegans and the diet - but just let them know that you can get allll your vits and mins in a veggie diet just as you would in a omni diet. Also if you choose to bring up your son as a veggie, just tell your folks that you will go see a doctor regularly (and go!) and never put your sons life at risk if it is not the right diet for him (not saying you would but its a good thing to say to them too!).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan-victoria View Post

Some people are very sceptical of veggie/vegans and the diet - but just let them know that you can get allll your vits and mins in a veggie diet just as you would in a omni diet. Also if you choose to bring up your son as a veggie, just tell your folks that you will go see a doctor regularly (and go!) and never put your sons life at risk if it is not the right diet for him (not saying you would but its a good thing to say to them too!).
Not sure why a vegetarian diet would put someone's life at risk as veggies, whole grains, and beans are much healthier and nutrient rich than meat. And, an omni diet doesn't always provide all of the nutrients one needs. Most omni's I know eat crap like burgers and fries quite often. It is shocking how much meat and white pasta most omni's meat and how little healthy veggies most eat. I've met very few omnis who eat a truly balanced diet. If you eat actually vegetables in place of meat, you would be far more likely to get what you need than if you ate the meat.

As for your question, I wouldn't make an announcement. I would just do it. If anyone notices, just tell them you are a vegetarian. If they seem truly interested, I would share info with them (like asking how do you get your protein, etc..). If they are simply challenging you, then tell them your diet isn't up for discussion. Or, tell them to read a good veggie nutrition book and then get back to you with questions. I still have issues with my mom. I have told her the reasons why I don't eat meat, and she continues to insist that I do it for my cholesterol. She seems to have trouble registering the fact that I don't like eating dead animals b/c I love animals. She latched on to the one thing--that my cholesterol went down 80 points, and focuses only on that. It's annoying.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Not sure why a vegetarian diet would put someone's life at risk as veggies, whole grains, and beans are much healthier and nutrient rich than meat.
Neither do I - I just know from past experiences, that some people seem to think youre going to become anemic and shrivel or something!

·
Registered
596 Posts
You are an adult with your own child now, if your parents are rude enough to criticise you over your lifestyle choices, you have every right to tell them to keep their opinion about it to themselves unless you ask for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

You are an adult with your own child now, if your parents are rude enough to criticise you over your lifestyle choices, you have every right to tell them to keep their opinion about it to themselves unless you ask for it.
I second that.

My parents are huge meat eaters and it did come as a shock when I told them I was going Veg. They are still adapting, but since the initial shock has worn off, my mom even calls me and tells me, "I found this great recipe I want to make for you, it's vegetarian!!"

In the end, they will either come around, or they wont. Just remember why it is important to you (and possibly your new son) to live the veg lifestyle!

Best of luck!

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
My dear - you have a new baby! You're going to be criticized for everything you do/don't do from here on out!
So do what you think is best - for yourself and for your little boy, and don't worry about what your family says.

Congratulations on making a great decision for the both of you!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! If your parents are anything like my parents then they'll think you'll automatically drop dead from lack of protein - like you can't get it anywhere else. Really, protein and iron (red meat) seem to be the only benefits anyone can think of for eating meat - both of them are available in much more nutritious areas like mushrooms for protein and leafy greens for iron, though I hate mushrooms so I guess my parents did have a somewhat valid point. Anyway. I second the post about being an adult with your own child. Aside from this, there isn't a correct way to bring up a child. There are incorrect/wrong ways - but no one correct way. Parenting is the only thing Darwin left out of his Theory of Evolution. You need to do what you feel is best and believe me your parents are going to think they know whats best, because after all they brought you up didn't they? Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that and you need to stand firm - I'm sure after a while and they see how committed you are and healthy and bouncing your baby is, they'll come round to realising that an omnivore diet isn't all that its cracked up to be.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Congratulations, both on your new diet, and your new son. The one thing I'd worry about is your parents "accidently" slipping him meat and saying something like, "I didn't know. I wasn't watching what he ate." etc. I don't know what you're going to do about that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
haha yeah like in a chapter of desperate housewives, when bree gives meat to her vegetarian grandsoon xD....

well i think this is a really good idea for both of you!! congratulations!!! just remember that kids need like 3 times more the proteins that adults, and get a doctor that its up to date with the veg diet =) for your baby ^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts