VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Firefox as my browser and GMail for e-mail.

For the past month or two, I've noticed that 9-digit telephone numbers in e-mail appear as hyperlinks. When I "mouse over" the hyperlink, it says

tel: (615)555-1212

or something like that. When I click on the hyperlink, I just get an error message.

The hyperlink appears even in newsletters and such contained in e-mails. These typically offer a weblink where you can read the newsletter on the web. None of these web newsletters have hyperlinked phone numbers. So these hyperlinks are being added somehow during the e-mail transmission process and/or by GMail or Firefox.

Can anyone shed any light on this? What are these telephone number hyperlinks for? Are they used in conjunction with some other program, like Skype?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I get those when I use Skype. I've looked for a way to turn it off and have never found anything. I had to uninstall it to get rid of the hyperlinks. I find them quite annoying.

·
Unintentionally Kittened
683 Posts
I assume that you are getting an error because you don't have a google phone number, but i don't know that much about it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a Skype thing. I've had google voice for years and the hyperlinks only show up when Skype is installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts