VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me?! Ever since i went vegan a couple on months ago my teeth have declined terribly in health. i've done a lot of reading on it and apparently this isnt an isolated thing, apparently it happens to alot of vegans, especially raw vegans.
so.... i was told that taking vitamin k, A and D(3) would help me with this. do you think thats all i need to do to supplement this problem? or am i doomed to having to eat animals? i reallllly dont want to eat animals every again.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I have not heard that teeth can decline due to eating a plant based diet, other than possibly fruitarian. My teeth are in excellent shape and I have been vegan for well over three years. Each time I get my teeth cleaned I am complimented on how healthy they are, and have not had a single cavity as a vegan, though plenty years ago as an omnivore. I guess it might depend on your diet in particular. I imagine if you ate all raw and focused mostly on fruits it might cause problems due to the sugar content? if you did eat all raw I would try to focus on getting in some leafy greens and nuts/seeds each day. Or if you ate a ton of processed sugary junk food as a vegan you might have problems. But I can't imagine teeth declining that fast in a matter of two months? Unless the changes you made were drastic. Maybe there is some underlying problem going on? When you say your teeth are declining, what symptoms do you have?

I supplement with B12, Calcium and vegan D (the latter two due to loss of ovaries/natural hormones at a young age and osteoporosis which I acquired long before becoming vegan). I get plenty of K in my diet, especially eating a lot of leafy greens each day. You can get most bone building vitamins and minerals and specifically calcium through low oxalate leafy greens (collards, kale, turnip greens, bok choy), some nuts/seeds, white beans, blackstrap molasses, fortified plant milks, vegan yogurts, and fortified orange juice, calcium set tofu and just eating a well rounded plant diet in general.

I would be interested if you could point me to some of the reading you have done on vegans with poor teeth. I have only ever heard of it happening with extreme raw fruitarians.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
That is actually new to me!
We often have questions about skin problems, brain fog, digestive issues, hair problems, but I have never heard one about teeth!
Really, a couple of months isn't long enough to blame it on diet if you've kept up your usual dental hygiene.
You can get vitamin D2 which is vegan. Many mushrooms now are even rich in D2, having been placed to absorb sunlight- check the label.
Naturebound is absolutely correct in the dark greens-calcium, k serve with D grown portabellos, something with c to increase the iron and you're good!

Often when we make changes we change habits that aren't related to the change, just happenstance. That can lead to blaming the change itself.
Things like eating acidic foods right before brushing.

OMG! I googled "vegan diet and dental problems" and came across an incredibly horrible site! Curetoothdecay.com! So full of misinformative it was sad, but funny-but sad because so many will listen! Did you know breastfeeding wasn't vegan?
I'm not finding anything other than basic dental tips. Nothing (besides the wacky ones) that indicated anything concerning.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Go out and get SUNSHINE. Not supplements.

You will burn until your skin adapts if you havent exposed the trunk of your body to the sun in a long time.

I use to take vitamin D supplements, eat leafy greens for vitamin A/K and its not the same thing as sunshine with leafy greens. I cured my dysbiosis by exposing my trunk of my body to the sun.

There is some research which indicates that we produce multiple types of vitamin D when we expose our skin to the sun and that there is a lack of funds to do proper research.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts