VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am of the teenager years, and there are always the get togethers with friends, eg. spending the night, camping... How do you infrom the friend that you are a Vegetarian? Is it rude to infrom them befor hand?? Or should i just bring Veggie Dogs, and say "hey look what i found in my bag!"

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Just say it?

Vegetarian is very normal and generally accepted....at least in europe....

Oh...about the food; I'm vegetarian

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell them before hand most definately!

Because if you don't tell them until the event they might feel a little unprepared, shocked, or they might even feel as though they have been a little insenstive....

And hopefully you'll only have to tell them once, so once it's done, it's done....

And hopefully they will respect your decision, and support you.. But also be prepared for some negative feedback..

And stupid questions... "So what DO you eat??"etc

Hell I'm such a wizard with words at 2:30am....aren't I?

Danny

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, tell them in advance and bring your own food. There are people who think that vegetarians eat fish and chicken. In my expeierence people make a big deal about it and have no idea what to feed you...Silly, huh? Shannon

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi! I became a vegetarian when I was a teenager, now I'm a ripe old 28!

Here's more validation, not much different than the rest of the posters but...

Yes, tell you friends that you will be camping with, hanging out with etc. a few days before that you are vegetarian. Most definatly bring your own veggie dogs with a few extras for people to try.

Don't forget to pack your sense of humor and be prepared for the inevitable, "What do you eat?" and Where do you get your protien?

Have a good time!

·
Registered
604 Posts
and there's those stupid questions like "Would you rather eat meat or s*it?" or expect meat thrown at you. I get it everyday at Middle School *sigh*

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always tell people beforehand, but make sure you don't sound too picky...I bring my own food or sidedishes to get-togethers. At my youth group retreats, they always have veggie burgers or TVP "Chicken" patties for me now

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm 14 and i'm a vegan so i know how you feel. I would teel them first. Most of my friends are pretty cool about. ( but there always the exception......) Cause you can always have a salad or something easy like that. When I go places I usually bring a power bar or something like that just in case i cant find any thing to eat.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would most definately tell them. I would also bring some of "your food" just in case.

I just spent 10 days at a conference... and the only vegetarian option was salad w/o dressing... that was only for lunch and dinner, but breakfast was almost always fruit (bananas and apples that's it!)

I brought my own food, but I still lost a lot of weight. (8 pounds in 10 days)... Take it upon yourself and bring your own food... even if it's somewhat junk food... stuff you wouldn't mind sharing with others.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Inform them beforehand, definitely. If you just announce it when you're there, there's little they can do about it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chelseab2008

michael_veggie dont you feel alianated when people throw/shove meat in your face. I know i do. middle school can be so cruel
shoot, college can be so cruel. i got sausage and all that ickiness shoved in my face by college students. aawww maturity

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by spamari

shoot, college can be so cruel. i got sausage and all that ickiness shoved in my face by college students. aawww maturity
this reminded me of when i was 19 and a fresh trainee administration manager for sainsburys. one of my jobs was to go into the meat processing room 3 times a day and check that the scales were weighing correctly, of course the butchers thought this hilarious and i eventually managed to wriggle out of that 'responsibility' as they finally got caught waiting for me and chucking meat at me ffs!

can laugh about it now, but i used to stand outside and try and catch my breath and focus so that i didn't throw up in there, maybe i should have done and i'd have lost the 'responsibility' sooner

gits lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
As everyone else has said, warn them in advance!! I'm sure they'll understand. Bring veggie food too, just so you don't go hungry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts