VeggieBoards banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

To me spanking is assault plain and simple and if we wouldn't be happy if an adult was assaulted without their consent, why doesn't it concern us when it's happening to a child?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

Me neither. To be fair I haven't seen any children being hit in public here (although I'm sure it happens and I have seen them being yelled at), but when I l was in France I was in H & M and saw a woman beat her child (who looked between 9 and 11) around the head and shoulders with her hands, screaming at her while the poor kid just cried. I thought it was absolutely shocking but I wasn't sure what to do about it- I spoke to the store staff but they said it was normal and what can you do. In the UK I would have called the police as I think hitting a child's head is forbidden even if spanking isn't.

To me spanking is assault plain and simple and if we wouldn't be happy if an adult was assaulted without their consent, why doesn't it concern us when it's happening to a child?
Ugh that's awful about the staff not doing anything. I witnessed a children being abused a couple times while working retail but NEVER let it go. The police were called ASAP. Our management team always reinforced the policy that if we ever encountered any forms of abuse to immediately call the police.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Being spanked with a belt is just normal spanking, isn't it? I don't know why this made news.
No. I don't believe in spanking, but if a parent is going to spank a kid, they need to:

1. Not be angry when they do it
2. Use their hand

My dad used to spank me and my brothers with a belt back when he was a crazy person. He didn't have the greatest childhood, and to him such behavior was totally normal. He was never as bad as that jerk in the video though.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Assault is assault. Just because someone is under 18 and physically attacking your children is a cultural norm doesn't make it okay (although the fact that it's a cultural norm at least makes it somewhat more understandable). There's no evidence AFAIK that physical discipline is effective. That said, belt whipping is so common that I didn't find the video all that shocking. It's wrong and I hope this guy doesn't get reelected as judge, but without more info I also wouldn't want to see a witch hunt of this guy. I would much rather this lead people to question the idea that it's fine to assault your kids.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It's a scary thing, if your parent hits you and you fight back, you will be arrested, that's what a cop told me while on a house call that came from me telling someone about when me and my dad got into a fight. To me it makes sense she waited and didn't go to the authorities, it wouldn't have done her any good the cops would have told him to hit her harder and her to keep her mouth shut.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
It was best that she didn't say anything at the time because he may have retaliated against her harder if she brought it to the authorities. But by waiting all this time, now he's going to get off pretty much with a slap on the wrist due to the limit of liability. In my opinion, the limit of liability should not be just 5 years. It should be at least 20 years (enough time for the abused person to become an adult and speak on their own).

These matters are such a fine line to walk on. On one hand, you could have a teen exaggerating abuse and an innocent parent getting in trouble they don't deserve. But then you have cases like this where it's obvious that nothing but pure, violent abuse was going on. She was very smart to video tape it. That helps a lot and the world is responding accordingly.

He should be held to the same standards as everyone else. Most jobs will fire employees who post taboo pictures of themselves on Facebook. Well, I think that proof of physically abusing your children is worse than that. What about jail time? Well, I already stated that I think the limit of liability should be 20 or so years, so he should still be accountable for it. Therefore, it should be treated as a large man beating a defenseless 15 year old girl with a leather strap. If a large man beat a girl he didn't know like that, what would be done to him? Whatever it is (and I'm sure the punishment would be very strict), that's exactly what should be done to this guy. It doesn't matter whether she had half of his DNA or not. She is the same as any other girl her age and feels the same kind of pain. Therefore, this guy should suffer the same consequences as if he beat a stranger's daughter. Period.

Lock him up and throw away the key. Or better yet...

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FtZkBr2Icc
lol, of course she waited for 7 years. she wanted to use him as much as she could. and she didn't go to authorities because she knew that nothing bad happened there but the child worshipping crowd on youtube will make a big fuss over it

also good timing with setting up the camera *sarcasm*

hope he destroys that nasty and ugly human being

Edit: i have no clue what vitriolic means, but i assume this isn't vitriolic anymore

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This is really hard to watch and I have not watched either of the videos I have seen in this thread in their entirety. This girl may have started stealing as a way of acting out due to previous abuse in the house.

What a mess. It's amazing what some people will survive as their so called childhood.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post

This is really hard to watch and I have not watched either of the videos I have seen in this thread in their entirety.
I was trying to avoid the video and not watch it but they kept airing it all over the news.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

lol, of course she waited for 7 years. she wanted to use him as much as she could. and she didn't go to authorities because she knew that nothing bad happened there but the child worshipping crowd on youtube will make a big fuss over it

Edit: i have no clue what vitriolic means, but i assume this isn't vitriolic anymore
Awful lot of assumptions there. It isn't child worship to be against assaulting children, that's the same way we treat adults.

I don't get the line about the camera set up. It was (unsarcastically) good timing.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:

How come you don't have this attitude on VB towards animal abuse and hidden cameras that have been used to expose the perpetrators?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Anonymous embarrassing themselves yet again. They describe her as a young disabled child who is too young and too disabled to understand what's going on when she's 16 and not mentally disabled at all.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:

Vitriolic means caustic and scathing. And saying : "hope he destroys that nasty and ugly human being" is vitriolic.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

How come you don't have this attitude on VB towards animal abuse and hidden cameras that have been used to expose the perpetrators?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
First off Thanks for the video from the today show I had missed that. About the video I shared that on facebook and my sister as a nurse was so upset about it and concerned and he needs help. I have stopped at the video the actual one at the mother says she needed to act like a 16 year old.
I have gotten a belt or a shoe from my parents growing up, I only had a few swats and thats it and a few times my dad was angry, my last one with the belt was I was 18 years of age and that was worse I had a bruise for weeks but after that I never was spanked again.
I do believe if you do use a belt to disclipline you need to not do it in anger because it hurts more. I am Thankful my dad didn't go this far in the with the belt he used on my in my teen years and childhood.
As for Ira's comments even the edited comments by ira was disturbing and I will not comment further about Ira's comments.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts