41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

Here you go:
http://familyrightsassociation.com/i...nking_laws.htm
And here's a list of countries that have banned spanking, all at the bottom (no pun intended) of this very good article on why spanking is a very bad idea:
http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/tenreasons.html
Though I did hear somewhere that New Zealand reversed their ban, someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
I have no idea why the UK seems to lag so far behind other countries with this issue.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Count me in the group that feels spanking is wrong.
This wasn't spanking. Be anti-spanking all you want, but don't lump a swat on the butt in with a beating.

The mother here is just as guilty as the wonderful judge.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

This wasn't spanking. I have no problem with someone being anti-physical discipline but I wish they'd stop comparing a swat or two on the behind to beating.

The mother here is just as guilty as the wonderful judge.
Completely agreed. My point, and maybe everyone else's as well, was that spanking is bad, and this takes it to an all new and much worse level. Not only that, but allowing spanking leaves the door open to where it's easier for much more severe assaults on children to happen. It's a fine line between a swat and an assault, so it's much safer to classify everything as an assault.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Being spanked with a belt is just normal spanking, isn't it? I don't know why this made news.
No!!

The girl was beaten and abused. No child deserves to be treated like that.

The fact that he was a judge makes the story even more horrible. Who knows how many criminals he set free.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Being spanked with a belt is just normal spanking, isn't it? I don't know why this made news.
I don't know how common getting spanked with a belt is, but I think this story made news because he beat his daughter off and on for 7 minutes, while repeatedly swearing at her AND he's a family judge.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia82 View Post

If you're on Facebook, please like this page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dont-R...17089511694481

And also, I don't give a **** what anyone says, and I'm normally not someone to come out and say that an anonymous person on the internet has severe issues, but Ira, please recheck your thinking, and that kind of thinking does make you or anyone who actually thinks like that (and I still hope you're kidding) unfit to be a parent. This clearly crosses the line between discipline and abuse.

While I never had cerebral palsy, I was whipped often by my father growing up for things such as wearing shorts to school on a sweltering hot day in a non-airconditioned school when he insisted on me wearing pants. He clearly enjoyed it. I cannot bring myself to watch the video, as I know that it will trigger my PTSD.

Sadly though, it does seem to be very acceptable in states like Texas (I grew up in Tennessee and Indiana, close enough) to use hitting to discipline your kids. During the final days of me living in the US, it was a sickening cycle that I would start to make friends with someone, at age 29 most of my peers would have at least one kid, the kid would have been put to bed but might have needed to get up because they were deprived of attention, scared of nightmares, their room was too hot, whatever, and before being allowed to speak the kid would be screamed at with something along the lines of "Go to bed or you're getting a spanking! 1....2....3...." This and plenty of studies have shown that physical discipline creates MORE behavioral problems! But of course, hit the kid for these behavioral problems, of course it's ok, they're only a child!

Now, I live in Holland, where it is a criminal offense to spank your child. So thankfully, when my boyfriend and I are ready to have kids, we can raise them without being criticized for being bad parents because we believe that hitting children is wrong.
no, it doesn't make me unfit to be a parent.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Thank Buddha that kids have access to video cams and camera phones nowdays. Yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

Don't forget to drink lots of water before you go to bed to minimise your hangover!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

You apparently weren't beat since it turns people into such great human beings according to you. And yes it does make you unfit to be a parent, or an aunt, or to be around any children ever.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

You apparently weren't beat since it turns people into such great human beings according to you. And yes it does make you unfit to be a parent, or an aunt, or to be around any children ever.
Actually, an overwhelming number of parents who beat their kids were beat themselves. Both of my parents were, and my brother also turned right around and did the same thing to his kids. The only explanation that I can think of is that being beaten warps a person's perception of what is "normal". Some, like myself and my brother's kids, rebelled against this idea of "normal", and have sworn to each other that we will never hit our children. All too many others, like my brother and my parents, don't question and then think that it is "normal" to hit their own kids. I really hope that the latter isn't the case with anyone on here.

It really doesn't seem like rocket science that being hit by a person much bigger than you creates anxiety issues, which then leads to more acting out, which leads to more hitting. Its one of the biggest things that's ****ed up with the world.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I guess it's good that she can forgive her mother, but I don't. The mother was an abuser and I don't care how beaten down she was herself, that's no excuse or mitigation for what she did to her daughter. I can understand allowing yourself to be victimized, but I have real contempt for people who allow their dependents, whether children or animals, to be victimized, and participate in it themselves.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I have no idea why the UK seems to lag so far behind other countries with this issue.
Me neither. To be fair I haven't seen any children being hit in public here (although I'm sure it happens and I have seen them being yelled at), but when I l was in France I was in H & M and saw a woman beat her child (who looked between 9 and 11) around the head and shoulders with her hands, screaming at her while the poor kid just cried. I thought it was absolutely shocking but I wasn't sure what to do about it- I spoke to the store staff but they said it was normal and what can you do. In the UK I would have called the police as I think hitting a child's head is forbidden even if spanking isn't.

To me spanking is assault plain and simple and if we wouldn't be happy if an adult was assaulted without their consent, why doesn't it concern us when it's happening to a child?

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_charm View Post

To me spanking is assault plain and simple and if we wouldn't be happy if an adult was assaulted without their consent, why doesn't it concern us when it's happening to a child?
Precisely, and it's also a case of the vulnerable being assaulted and people turning a blind eye because many consider it acceptable. Very easily comparable to how most people accept the treatment of farmed animals. And untill recently, it was also considered perfectly acceptable to assault your wife or your slave. Hopefully people will soon be equally concerned with how millions of children and animals are assaulted every day.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.