VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Andie and this I'm going on my second year of being a vegetarian. It's been rough lately because I am determined to lose weight but I have a problem; I'm not really a fan of vegetables or beans. I'm such a picky eater, I wish I wasn't. If there's anyone out there like me or at least has an idea of how or what I could do please let me know! Also if you guys have any suggestions of what to eat, let me know! Thanks so so so much

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Are there ANY vegetables you like? Can you tell us what foods you do like in general? Maybe we can find new options for you using those.

For beans, which ones don't you like, and prepared which ways? You could try things like hummus (chickpea spread), or pureed white beans in a tomato soup (adds creaminess). If you like fruit, you can make fruit smoothies and even slip green leafy vegetables in there - a little bit of them won't change the taste because fruit has a strong, sweet flavor.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
As Clarita says, we'd need to know what kinds of things you don't like/do like to really give good suggestions.

What I can tell you in general, is only my experience. I'm naturally a small person, but I know lots of people on diet and used to be an athlete type at school. So I hope this helps-

I know when I was bulking up (as an omni) I ate a lot of carbs. My regular meal, plus an extra bowl of pasta.

Watch your carb intake.

I'm not saying completely cut carbs. But look at how much rice and pasta you're serving yourself. Often we put far too much of it on the plate. It need only half a cup to a cup. If you're eating pizza, eat it with a salad next to you. It can be something simple, with some lettuce, onion and olives. But it will fill you up faster.

There's also 'swapping' your snacks.
Unsalted popcorn/soy chips with nuts/nuts/grain chips/fruit should all be better than potato chips.
Drink plenty of water.

And finally- exercise.

The best motivation for this, is to sign yourself up for something. Like, a fun run in your area. Even if race day comes and all you can do is walk around the course, then that's something! Without a goal, you can become distracted.

Best of luck.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Try looking on foods you like as a form of masturbation. Then visualise the palms of your hands getting hairy.

Then, when you eat vegetables, think of the new tastes as being 'different' instead of unpleasant.

Associate the new tastes with a new you. The new you that you want to become, as it were.

Theoritcaly the more you want to become what you say you want to become then the more pleasant the new tastes will become to you.

The rest of that is pretty much down to how much you really want it.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Incorporate some raw food meals into your diet. You can, if you wish, eat fruit for maybe 1-2 meals per day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I really don't like any beans but I do eat a lot of salads and fruit. I also don't eat seafood so I've been having the lack of protein problem. I exercise everyday, too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can probably make a few suggestions! Like you I'm super picky with what vegetables I like/don't like! Do you like bell peppers or carrots? They're my staples as I've found you can sling them in pretty much any cooked meal to bulk it up and increase your veg intake!

With your worries about not getting enough protein - what are you eating that's protein? I find cheeses and quorn make up the bulk of mine and cooking the quorn normally involves adding veg. You'd be surprised how much veg you can cram into a spag bol or a curry!

·
Registered
8 Posts
For me when I'm trying to lose weight it's because I'm lazy and I eat junk because I can't be bothered to try and find something to make with what I do like? Would be easier to think up nice, easy meals if there were more things I liked to put in said meals =P

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's harder to lose weight because I don't eat enough vegetables and instead eat too much grains. For protein I eat Cottage cheese, the Morning Star vegetable protein corn dogs and chick'n tenders. I also eat almonds.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andielove View Post

It's harder to lose weight because I don't eat enough vegetables and instead eat too much grains. For protein I eat Cottage cheese, the Morning Star vegetable protein corn dogs and chick'n tenders. I also eat almonds.
You can lose weight without eating vegetables. Just eat less of whatever it is you do eat. Although you still should eat vegetables for the sake of general health.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts