VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, but here it goes. I notice a lot of young people in their teens and twenties in here, and I'm wondering if this is the new rebellion against parents. "Mom, Dad, I'm going to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less meat."

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Teenagers and young people are trying to figure out who they are and what they believe - it's a popular time for a lot of people to flirt with vegetarianism or veganism. I know a lot of friends who went vegetarian in their teens - at school there was an average of about 3 vegetarians in a class of 30 (my tutor group had five inc me) which is much higher than the general population. Many of them stuck with it, and plenty of people were "vegetarian" for a couple of weeks and then stopped.

I don't think it's really a rebellion though (if so, I think they need to get some better tactics haha). I think it's just part of trying to figure out who you are, what you believe in, and deviating from the idea that what your parents say is always right and trying to find out for yourself. Younger people also tend to be more "left"/"liberal" than the general population also, and tend to have more politically-left field ideas.

Also, out of all the friends/classmates who were vegetarian in their teens, I'm pretty sure none were concerned about eating more fresh fruit and vegetables! It's not a nessersairy part of vegetarianism. I had a vegetarian friend who ate nothing but chips and crisps!

eta: Although now I think of it a lot of parents reacted very badly to their childrens choices - but I think that's because of the extra work involved for a parent catering to more than one diet. I know my mum was a saint catering for me (vegan), her and dad (vegetarian) and my brother (omni) at every meal, and doing a splendid job of it too
)

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

Teenagers and young people are trying to figure out who they are and what they believe - it's a popular time for a lot of people to flirt with vegetarianism or veganism. I know a lot of friends who went vegetarian in their teens - at school there was an average of about 3 vegetarians in a class of 30 (my tutor group had five inc me) which is much higher than the general population. Many of them stuck with it, and plenty of people were "vegetarian" for a couple of weeks and then stopped.

I don't think it's really a rebellion though (if so, I think they need to get some better tactics haha). I think it's just part of trying to figure out who you are, what you believe in, and deviating from the idea that what your parents say is always right and trying to find out for yourself. Younger people also tend to be more "left"/"liberal" than the general population also, and tend to have more politically-left field ideas.

Also, out of all the friends/classmates who were vegetarian in their teens, I'm pretty sure none were concerned about eating more fresh fruit and vegetables! It's not a nessersairy part of vegetarianism. I had a vegetarian friend who ate nothing but chips and crisps!

eta: Although now I think of it a lot of parents reacted very badly to their childrens choices - but I think that's because of the extra work involved for a parent catering to more than one diet. I know my mum was a saint catering for me (vegan), her and dad (vegetarian) and my brother (omni) at every meal, and doing a splendid job of it too
)
I agree with this. I think a lot of people go veg right after they move away to college. That's what I did. I was 19 and realized I could finally, easily do what I had always considered doing. People had always expected me to do it too.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I don't think its a rebellion they just want to better the world and they know what is going on in factory farming. I think parents needs to sit down and talk to their teens more often and talk about life choices and this is one of them.
Some teens do need to be a Vegetarian and Vegan for health purposes because what their health iliness they are experiencing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As with what identity_ said,

I went vegetarian when I was 12 - kind of on a whim. I thought I was doing it for the animals at the time - and I'm sure that was the catalyst - but I think the real reason I followed through with it was that I was finally in middle school, and I wanted an identity. Everyone was a "punk" at the time, and that didn't really appeal to me; even at 12, I saw through it as a fad. So, I picked up vegetarianism, let my hair grow out, and started listening to The Beatles, and incidentally became a hippie.

It did, however, become a social rebellion at heart. When people criticized me for being a vegetarian, and told me to cut my hair, it just strengthened my convictions. 8 years later, I still don't eat meat (essentially a vegan at this point), and my freak flag still flies.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I went vegetarian when I was a young teen. It had nothing to do with rebellion. I was doing a research paper on slaughterhouses and that was enough for me to stop eating meat forever. This was also before the internet really existed (I had to actually do research from books in the library using the dewey decimal system
) and the words "vegetarian" and "vegan" were so rare and uncommon.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Since alot of stars are Vegeterian and Vegans maybe some teens wants to try the lifestyle. However, it depends on the individual and reasons why they are wanting the life style.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I went vegetarian at 15. For me, the catalyst was watching yet another family member die from cancer and heart disease and I had a vegetarian coworker that got me curious about the benefits. ("Vegetarian" was actually my very first search term on the internet via America Online.) Admittedly, I was already a bit of an outsider in my own extended family because of my free-thinking ways. My parents encouraged my tendencies, so I was hardly a rebel.

I'm sure there are some kids who do come to vegetarianism to be rebellious, but I think most are genuinely here for the "right" reasons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm eighteen, and I've been a vegetarian for a year, but have wanted to since I was fourteen. For me, it has nothing to do with rebellion- I think that the reason so many young people are becoming vegetarians or vegans is simply because younger people are more open to change, and also because of the huge amount of resources out right now that show how unethical the treatment of slaughterhouse animals, etc. is. When I stumbled upon things like that and understood how badly the animals were treated, I was simply disgusted by the thought of eating flesh.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I'm not the rebellious type at all. I'm the good kid, I get straight A's (most are A+'s), awards in school, I don't cuss (I still think words like "stupid" and "dumb" are bad words and have never even said those), I don't date, I dress appropriately, etc. This year, I really feel like I'm "finding" myself. I've moved to a rural town, with a lot friendlier, diverse, less stuck-up people, made some new friends, cut my hair short and left it curly, instead of straightening it like others tell me I should, started wearing my glasses, discovered some possible career choices to strive for, and done a lot of similar things that I find are the best choices for me and stopped caring about what other people think. I never really have, but I think under the surface a part of me might still have that was keeping me from being myself, and I've been able to overcome that.

I've always loved animals, and saving an abandoned dog and her only surviving puppy, and later getting a rescue dog that my godmother found on the street made me remember that, so in my interest in animals I found the desire to become a vegetarian one day. I did some research, found Meet Your Meat, and was horrified that not only are animals killed for food, they're tortured and brutally murdered in the process. I also realized the horrors of the dairy and egg industry, when before I never understood why people became vegan, and I also decided it was wrong and disgusting to steal cows' breast milk or chickens' eggs, so instead of becoming vegetarian, I went straight from omnivore to vegan.

I would've been vegan if a lot of other people were vegan, too; I didn't become vegan just to be different. However, since I don't know any vegetarians or vegans, being vegan has really strengthened me. People's reactions and rude, cruel comments to me would've made me crumble just 7 weeks ago, as an omnivore, and I've gained a lot of self-esteem and have been able to be less shy, too. As soon as I became vegan, it felt natural to me, and it's become a part of me. I feel like I was meant to be vegan, and the opinions and strength I've formed and gained as a vegan has also really changed and shaped the person I am.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
i cam see some trying to rebel. but i don't think the ones who stay vegetarian for longer than a month or two are doing so. because while this is going against the belief of their parents in most cases it is also going against the belief of their friends. teens who would want to stop eating meat just to piss off their parents wouldn't want to deal with rejection of their peers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is this bad? I am 14 and i chose to become a vegetarian. I have gotten so thinner, more energetic and healthy. I'm not rebelling, I did my research and found the advantages of becoming a vegetarian. I dearly love my parents and they didn't like the idea at first, but they caught on and we live happily

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioko360 View Post

Is this bad? I am 14 and i chose to become a vegetarian. I have gotten so thinner, more energetic and healthy. I'm not rebelling, I did my research and found the advantages of becoming a vegetarian. I dearly love my parents and they didn't like the idea at first, but they caught on and we live happily
Why would it be bad?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mid to late teens and early twenties involved a lot of drugs and a change in how I dressed. I guess that was a rebellion to some extent, but I think a lot of young people experiment with identities. Vegetarianism, then veganism began later. I hid my veganism for a while from people because at the time I was insecure and my veganism was heart felt and bound to compassion, not a fashion statement.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I went l/o when I was 13. I read a book on factory farming, cried throughout a good portion of it and then refused to eat meat afterwards. I got zero support from my parents, my dad is a very meat and potatoes kind of guy. I had no friends who were veg*n and I was one of only two veggies in my entire town. Veggie options ranged between slim and none

Definitely wasn't a rebellion for me. I was too busy getting on the honour roll, playing 3 instruments, singing, taking extra credit classes, and generally being a type A pain in the butt. I don't even think I did it as part of individuation and standing out from my peers. It was just the right choice for me to be able to feel comfortable with myself.

My brother did a more rebellious stint of vegetarianism. He went veg from 13-19 or so. I think it started as an attempt to irritated my father. Within a month of me moving out my brother went veg. This was shortly after my dad actually said he was glad to get the "rabbit food" out of the house. Meh.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I went when I was 12. It just occurred to me one day after eating chicken. Bleh. This is a dead body.

So not really teen, and not really rebellion. But still young :p

·
Banned
7 Posts
I don't see what's so bad even if one did take it up purely for rebellion. I am sure society would be much better without just a bunch of mindless adherents.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I'm not sure if this is in the right place or not, but here it goes. I notice a lot of young people in their teens and twenties in here, and I'm wondering if this is the new rebellion against parents. "Mom, Dad, I'm going to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less meat."
I went vegan when I was nineteen and that was honestly the last thing on my mind when I made the decision. It was because of the cruelty to animals. I decided it was the right thing to do, other people's opinions be damned, and I still feel that way. It's not so much a rebellion for the sake of rebellion. It's a grounded ethical lifestyle change I made.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts