VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2.../01/index.html

Quote:
Eighty-six percent of the recent decline in U.S. teen pregnancy rates is the result of improved contraceptive use, while a small proportion of the decline (14%) can be attributed to teens waiting longer to start having sex, according to Explaining Recent Declines in Adolescent Pregnancy in the United States: The Contribution of Abstinence and Improved Contraceptive Use by John Santelli et al., published in the January issue of the American Journal of Public Health.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That study was obviously not done in my area. 17% of the high school students at the local school are pregnant or have children, and my brother (still in this school) tells me that there are 2 pregnant 8th graders, and one pregnant 6th grader.

I am happy that there are fewer births by teens, mostly due to the fact that these parent are unexperienced and still going through their own issues. Let's hear it for planned parenthood!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ya..we have ALOT of pregnet teens in our local high and middle schools. It's hard to go to all of your classes in the day with out have a few pregnet classmates.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I wonder how they determined what is responsible for the decrease in pregnancy rates (haven't read the full article yet).

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I wonder how they determined what is responsible for the decrease in pregnancy rates (haven't read the full article yet).
I'd assume that they figure out the number of sexually active teens and what ages they are sexually active.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
The reason so many teens are pregnant is because of lack of education. Some really smart people decided that teaching abstinence would really keep teens from having sex. And by doing this, NOT teaching about birth control. Yeah, really smart...

I know about 5 people from my high school who have kids. These are people I know, there are about 9 or 10 people I know OF who have kids. They graduated in 2004. Stupid kids, use birth control!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Psst..it says teen pregnancies are down.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilvegan View Post

That study was obviously not done in my area.
You don't know that. Naturally, some areas will have higher rates of pregnancy than others. Others will have lower rates. It's a national study.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
danakscully64,

i could not agree more, except - not stupid kids - stupid adults, and stupid backwards moral code!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would've used contraceptives...had my mom not TAKEN THEM AWAY

Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I had went to Planned Parenthood to get them. I was 17 at the time and when she asked me what they were, I told her birth control. She made me throw them away, because, according to her, "You don't know what's in them."

WHAT??!??

I would not tell anyone this if it weren't true. I got pregnant at 18 and had my child at 19. Not a good choice, but I had to learn that the hard way. Having kids at a young age will change someone's life...but not necessarily for the better. I chose not to use contraceptives. I wanted to have a child, not realizing how hard it would be. And please, spare me the flames.

Just voicing my opinion.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

is Plan B available without a prescription now?
yes, depending on age. If you're 18 or older, you can get it without a prescription, IIRC.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I actually don't think that's that crazy of an argument. I've known several people who have had major health issues on birth control. I think that young women should really think about putting something that chemically alters their hormones in their mouths.

That's not to say I'd deny it to anyone, but I don't consider it totally safe, either.
Well pregnancy has a lot of physical effects, dangers and ramifications, too. But your point is well taken. I worry about young women not talking enough about the pros and cons of various methods, especially that they must not smoke while on the pill. So I feel risks and benefits of all options and outcomes, including pregnancy and abstinence need to be weighed. I think teens also need to seriously think about what they would do if pregnant. Realistically. Ok with being pregnant and giving birth? Are they ok with abortion? Is their partner? If not, they need to seriously think if they could give up a baby for adoption or actually care for one. I doubt most teens discuss this with partners, but that needs to be encouraged along with handing out the pills. Doing adult things, take adult responsibility.

I do think that there are probably a surprising number of teens who are very responsible or would be if given proper guidance. Many of the people I was friends with were. Too bad most of them had to get their info from my mother or elsewhere because they couldn't (or wouldn't) talk to their own parents.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I knew what was in those pills. I had sat down with a counselor and everything was explained to me. Plus, I did research in my own about it. My mom did it because she thought it was best. She never allowed me to make the decision to take them...she took that choice away from me, and that was wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts