VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In essence, isn't gasoline non-vegan because it's a by-product of animals? Sure some fossil fuel is from plants, but how would you distinguish the difference? And I don't think any oil companies really care to cater to vegan drivers...

Granted, the animals being "used" weren't tortured by humans, (forgetting whatever wildlife is disturbed to get to that oil), but it's still an animal product, and so would a pure vegan not be able to drive unless their car was electric? And couldn't use plastic for that matter...

I dunno, what do you guys think about that?

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I've heard that it's much more from vegetation than Animal. The most non-vegan thing about it is how careless the oil companies are about getting it out of the ground and the Animals killed when all "those accidents" happen.

·
Registered
120 Posts
And maybe the wood that built your house grew in soil that was fertilized by a decomposing animal body... Or, much more likely, perhaps the vegetables you eat were fertilized by feces from animals that went on to be slaughtered.

If you're going to be this extreme---that you can't eat or use anything that might have been an animal product at one point in in the ~4 billion year history of our planet---then suicide is the only logical conclusion. I'm not saying that as a personal attack or anything, just pointing out that continuing to live is not possible under such extreme definitions of veganism.

I'm going to ahead and continue using gasoline and consider myself a vegan, even if it may have been part of a triceratops at one point.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
There are hundreds of products in your daily life that come from petroleum. There are plenty of realistic reasons to reduce/eliminate your consumption of gasoline that do not have anything to do with exploiting something that died millions of years ago.

Are you trying to be a purist yourself? Or just poking fun at those who are trying to be?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Are you trying to be a purist yourself? Or just poking fun at those who are trying to be?
I'm hoping it's the second. People can take the whole one-upping the vegan thing to impractical extremes. At the point it's no longer actually doing anything tangible to reduce suffering, it no longer matters in my book. Like others said there may be other good reasons to get away from fossil fuels but them being non vegan is not one that comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have heard this so many times... quite simply, that animal died of its own accord MILLIONS of years ago. MILLIONS. Think about that. And since life back then was perfectly natural, I'm not too worried about Carboniferous-Era animal welfare. There are a lot of things wrong with gasoline. The fact that some of it may be derived from organisms who died naturally millions of years ago is not even close to the worst.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I think you're missing the point or being entirely too literal.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

Yup, this argument is as silly as "vegans can't swallow or french kiss"

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

I've heard that it's much more from vegetation than Animal. The most non-vegan thing about it is how careless the oil companies are about getting it out of the ground and the Animals killed when all "those accidents" happen.
This...

Quote:

and this.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

There are hundreds of products in your daily life that come from petroleum. There are plenty of realistic reasons to reduce/eliminate your consumption of gasoline that do not have anything to do with exploiting something that died millions of years ago.

Neither, actually. I'm just asking a question.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If a person has the desire to be a vegan "purist", that's fine, but I really don't get there being any kind of ethical imperative behind it. For me, the point of this lifestyle is to not contribute to animal exploitation. It's not to make sure no trace of animal product winds up anywhere near me, something that's pretty much currently impossible.

That said, your question highlights just how difficult the purist will find so many things. Is the purist allowed to walk around? What if she should step on a bug? Not only do I not see the point in going to this extreme, I just think it would make life pretty darn difficult.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

If a person has the desire to be a vegan "purist", that's fine, but I really don't get there being any kind of ethical imperative behind it. For me, the point of this lifestyle is to not contribute to animal exploitation. It's not to make sure no trace of animal product winds up anywhere near me, something that's pretty much currently impossible.

That said, your question highlights just how difficult the purist will find so many things. Is the purist allowed to walk around? What if she should step on a bug? Not only do I not see the point in going to this extreme, I just think it would make life pretty darn difficult.
There is an ethical imperative about if you look at it from an environmental angle, petroleum products are terrible for the planet.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You know, technically, breathing is not vegan.

Every time you take a breath, you murder... nay, SLAUGHTER thousands of microbes and tiny little insects!!! You even breath in and kill helpless baby spiders! BABIES!!!!!

Real vegans don't breath.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:

I don't not-eat animal products because they come from animals, but because I don't agree with using animals for our own means. Using something like gasoline has absolutly nothing to do with the animals that at some point decomposed to contribute to its lives.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:

Every time you take a breath, you murder... nay, SLAUGHTER thousands of microbes and tiny little insects!!! You even breath in and kill helpless baby spiders! BABIES!!!!!

Can I still type?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the thing you need to think about is not just the gas in the car but the car itself. You would have to break down every detail of the car from the thread they use to sew the seats together to the tires to the plastic in the lights.

Electric cars are no better in that the energy has to come from somewhere and that harvesting of energy can be dangerous to animals too.

I think that you have to do what you feel is best for you and do what you can to lower the risk to not only the animals but the people in the environment if that means walking more often then do it. Also give back as much as you can if that is something as simple as planting some flowers that bees and birds love or feeding the geese at the park. every little bit helps but don't stress about things that are way beyond your control.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Actually, there's a religious sect (buddhist or hindu or something) somewhere in Asia (India, I believe) that wears germ masks for exactly that reason.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And, I think this whole thing kind of ties into the other thread, where the question was "If the animal was already dead, would you eat it?", and the resounding answer was "no".

Technically, the same concept applies - the animal is already dead, and we're consuming it.
We just have a different opinion in this situation because of convenience, I think.

I'm not saying I don't use fuel - I'm saying take a moment and amuse the idea before attacking it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts