VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've mentioned before that I am a technician. It's a good job, although it's not really what I see myself doing forever.<br><br><br><br>
What I'd really like to do is teach middle school English or social studies. I've been researching the cost of going back to college to get a teaching degree, and I believe that it may be possible, thanks to some financial aid programs that my state is using to help deal with the teacher shortage.<br><br><br><br>
Before I rearrange my entire life, however, I'd like to be sure that this is really what I want. It's been a long time since I was in school, and I don't want to make my decision based on a romanticized, nostalgic view of what it was like, back then. (Although, quite frankly, there were more bad times than good.)<br><br><br><br>
I know it's a tough job. I also believe it's one that a person shouldn't do unless he or she is really dedicated and truly loves it. I really just want to be sure.<br><br><br><br>
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might get some experience as to what the classroom environment is like, these days? I tried to volunteer at my little sister's school, but they would not allow it, as I am not a parent or legal guardian of a student.<br><br><br><br>
Thoughts? I know there are a couple of teachers on the boards, here...any input would be appreciated.<br><br><br><br>
^_^

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am in the process (and thinking I am going to be accepted) in the NYC Teaching Fellowship Program and be in a classroom at the end of June. I am also nervous about the challenges of teaching, but I hope the rewards out weight the negatives.<br><br><br><br>
I cannot offer you much advice at this time, but we'll see a year from now.<br><br><br><br>
Good luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
What sort of school is your little sister's school? I think public/private can make a difference. Also, if you contact the admin of the school and explain what you want to do, you're more likely to be allowed in than to simply say that you want to observe a class. I think that could make you look like some kind of inspector.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm a first year teacher, teaching first grade. Its definitely a rewarding career. Is it easy? hec, no! I work an average of 9-10 hours per day (in the classroom). I often bring work home after that. Its quite common for me to spend at least part of one day of the weekend in the classroom. Although I've had to deal w/a ton of emotional stress this school year, Iits definitely been rewarding. I guess I just have a habit of getting really emotionally involved though. I would definitely recommend volunteering in a variety of classrooms (different grade levels and different schools) before making your decision. It won't always be easy, trust me, its true what they say about first year teachers going home & crying once in a while! But its all so worth it when I see myself making a difference in the lives of my students. Just today one of my students finally got a math concept--it was like a lightbulb went on in his head all of a sudden & it all made sense--it was incredible!! Its moments like this one that remind me why I chose this path for my life. Make sure you have other people in the field to if you start to feel overwhelmed. I've been really lucky in that my mom, my boyfriend, & my boyfriend's mom are all teachers & they have all totally been there for emotional support when I've felt like I things got to be too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts