VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just began drinking tea and I was wondering what you drink. I have realized that tea is A LOT to learn and we barely scratched the surface in culinary school.
Whats the best way to make it?
I know that green tea is excellent for you but it makes my stomach uneasy so I dont drink it. There was ONE kind I could drink and I haven't seen it in stores lately

I like the brand "Traditional medicinals", I drink the everyday detox and the easy now.

I still have the very occasional cup of coffee because I love it but the caffeine is hell for me. I am super sensitive to it. I usually drink decaf or half and half.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
The best way to make tea is with loose-leaf tea. You need a tea ball or tea infuser of some sort to do this. Pour boiling water over the tea, and let it steep for about 5 minutes if it's black tea. The longer you steep it, the stronger it will be. Green tea should not be steeped that long, only 2-3 minutes, or else it gets bitter. Add a little sugar if you like it that way, and enjoy!

My favorite basic grocery store tea brand is Twinings. I haven't ever had a Twinings tea that I didn't like. Lipton is ****ing gross. I think of English Breakfast as the most basic tea type, so maybe start there.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL thank you! I never dreamed of trying lipton

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
My grandma has this tea that's for sleep that I used to drink all the time when we lived with my grandparents. It has a bear on it and I think it's in a green box. I used to even drink it in the morning and daytime even though it's supposed to make you feel tired or something because it tasted so good. I think it was called Sleepy Bear Tea but I'm not sure because I always just called it sleepy bear tea.

Twinings teas are good, too, especially earl grey. Fresh and Easy has great teas. I have a pomegranate black tea, chocolate black tea, peach black tea, green tea, and mint tea in my pantry right now, all from Fresh and Easy. Last time I went they had even more interesting flavors but I didn't get any because I don't have room for them in the pantries.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^Disney.jessica you're thinking of chamomile tea, by the Celestial Seasonings brand I think. Their "sleepytime chamomile" has a bear in pajamas on the front.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
As Dormouse said, loose leaf is the way to go. Have you tried white tea? It's generally more expensive than green, but it is milder. You only steep it for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Different teas require different brewing times.

I'm a huge fan of Teavana. All their teas are loose leaf, and they're all delicious.

http://www.teavana.com/

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't drink loose leaf tea(maybe one day I'll take the time to learn how to make them), but I enjoy Yogi brand teas bags. The Himalayan Apple Spiced tea and the Green Tea Pomegranate are my 2 favorites, but all of the teas I've tried from Yogi have been good. I also like GT's Multi-Green Kombucha.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonster View Post

The Himalayan Apple Spiced tea.
that sounds really good

·
Registered
18 Posts
tea is very good i drink tea since i'm 15 years old and i'm now 20. Tea is like wine for me, more you will drink tea, more you will develop taste for tea. Start with some light teas like white tea is a good idea.

Be careful with tea because it reduce the absorption of iron when you drink tea near or during a meal.

Two solution exist: Eat more vitamin c or don't drink tea 1 hour before, during the meal and 1 hour after.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Rooibos! Red bush tea from South Africa. I buy organic fair trade, and drink lots of it iced, brewed in sun. Really a bush, not tea.
I agree with the Yogi teas, love Kombucha, and the ones for cold season are great for winter.
Herbal teas (far as I know) are called teasans.
Most green tea messes with my stomach.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I love Celestial Seasonings teas. Their holiday and seasonal teas are the best but I enjoy most of their regular teas. Chai is my all around favorite especially Oregon Chai but they're really expensive. Teevana is great too but pricey as well. Celestial Seasonings has a fantastic Madagascar Vanilla Red Rooibos tea that is delicious. Stash makes some decent teas as well. I favor the more sweet teas. The fruity ones can be good too but I despise green tea. Obviously I stick mainly with bagged teas since I find them cheaper and easier than loose leaf.

Confession: I can't tell the difference between Earl Grey, Lady Grey, English Breakfast, and orange pekoe.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Confession: I can't tell the difference between Earl Grey, Lady Grey, English Breakfast, and orange pekoe.
What the hell is wrong with you?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Right now I am obsessed with making my own iced tea at home. I like to make bourbon vanilla (it's a loose leaf at Teaopia if anyone has any near them) Great for beating summer!

I fill a big pot with water, bring it to a boil. Remove from heat, sprinkle in about 2-3 tablespoons of tea, cover and let steep for about half an hour. Strain it out, put it in a jug and add sugar to desired sweetness. Let it cool overnight, then pour over ice. Mmmm!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

What the hell is wrong with you?
I'm a tea connoisseur's nightmare since I pour so much soy milk and sugar into my cups of tea that it probably buries the real taste of it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I'm a tea connoisseur's nightmare since I pour so much soy milk and sugar into my cups of tea that it probably buries the real taste of it.
ARRRGGHHHH! You're like those people who drink milk and sugar with a splash of coffee.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You guys should try steepster.com!

I love tea. I can always remember having tea, but usually just now and then when I was feeling under the weather. It has grown into quite a fun hobby for me. I have a cabinet filled with all sorts of different teas, and I love mixing various teas together to suit my mood.

A favorite of mine is chai -- the best is made on the stove with whole spices simmered in soymilk and water, then the black tea (try Darjeeling or Assam) is added for the last few minutes. If you want more specifics, let me know. There are some bagged chais out there that are quite good as well. I probably enjoy black teas the most, either plain varieties or flavored.

In the summer, jasmine mint green iced tea is very refreshing -- you can find jasmine green tea either loose or bagged, and just steep it either with another bag of mint tea (or mint green would work too), or add fresh or dried spearmint.

Herbal teas are great as well -- favorites are rooibos, mint, and chamomile. For a soothing tea at bedtime, mix chamomile and mint, and a little lavender flower if you can find it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

Herbal teas (far as I know) are called teasans.
They're actually called tisanes. That may have been what you meant.

I like oolong, myself. My favorite herbal one is spearmint.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

^Disney.jessica you're thinking of chamomile tea, by the Celestial Seasonings brand I think. Their "sleepytime chamomile" has a bear in pajamas on the front.
I just googled it and yep that's it!
Now I can look for it at the store since I know what the name is because the tea aisles get a little overwhelming when I didn't remember the name and box exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

You guys should try steepster.com!
Wow that website looks really cool actually! I might join, since I've discovered I really love tea and started drinking it a lot and looking for interesting, odd flavors. VB needs a tea lovers club

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I've always been a hardcore coffee drinker but lately I've been coming over to the tea side of things.

I haven't experimented with making loose leaf tea yet, just Twinings and Tazo. But man is it tasty! I really enjoy a good cup of Chai or Earl Grey with almond milk and a bit of sugar, and I'm starting to get into mixing green tea with herbals for various flavours. Green + strawberry passion fruit tea is a good combo.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts