VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm a tea addict I admit that I don't use an actual tea kettle to boil my water (usually I just boil the water in the microwave
). I have been wanting to use a kettle but I have no idea which ones are better. Electric vs. stovetop?

I recently acquired a free stovetop kettle because someone was throwing it away. Cosmetically it looks brand new until you look in the inside. There's a ring of rust in the middle that I can't get out no matter how hard I scrub it. I haven't attempted to use the kettle because of it since I don't want to drink the rust water.
Can it be saved? Is it possible to get rust out of teapots or is it pretty much a lost cause?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't have any experience with trying to remove rust myself, but I found this video that you may want to take a look at. Sorry about the ad. Let me know if it works. I'm curious too.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

I don't have any experience with trying to remove rust myself, but I found this video that you may want to take a look at. Sorry about the ad. Let me know if it works. I'm curious too.
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I used to have a stovetop kettle, but rarely used it. It was more of a decoration, but since it lived on the stove the outside got dirty and had to be cleaned more frequently than I felt something I didn't really use should need to be cleaned. When I was growing up, my grandma would let hers boil dry (and start smoking) really frequently.

Now I have an electric kettle, and I use it pretty much every day. I like that it has an auto-off. I'm kind of a freak about unplugging things, so I keep it unplugged, but in the evening I plug it in, fill it, and whenever I want a cup of tea I just flip the little switch and wait for it to DING! at me. Then I unplug it before bed.
Lol that is exactly what is happening to the rust kettle now! Just sitting on the stove looking pretty but getting dirty when I cook. An electric kettle sounds perfect now! I had no idea they had timers. I also like the fact that they ding and don't whistle since the screeching loud whistling tea kettles freak me out.

Does the water get hot enough though to the point it boils in an electric kettle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

There are many treatments you can use (like CLR), but I think it might not be worth the trouble. If you have CLR on hand, try it. You can also try this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5622452_clea...teakettle.html
No CLR but thanks for the link. I'll try that also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts