VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Raw Foodies!

I'm toying with the idea of buying a dehydrator. I know I can dehydrate stuff in a low oven but I don't know if I can get the temp in my oven low enough and I don't want to babysit food for like 6 hours.

I've got way more produce than I can eat before it goes bad. So what are some tasty treats I can make with a dehydrator? I've got like a metric ton of green beans. Could I make them into crunchy green bean snacky things?

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
you can make sweet potato chips. you can make kale chips. i've never tried green beans so i'm not sure how that would work out.

with food like the sweet potatoes and kale, you can marinate them for a while. i know some mixtures have some olive oil, salt. i'm not sure what else. i never marinated the sweet potato chips.

i can search around for stuff and get back to you.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kale chips sound cool! Can you do the same thing with chard? I've got a giant heap of chard in the fridge.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
you probably can. i had been wanting to try it with greenleaf lettuce and romaine.

apparently, even people that don't really like kale and other leafy greens seem to like them as chips. so it's one good way of getting more greens in.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
yeah, i forgot to say that if you get a dehydrator, excalibur is great. and get the 9 tray! the 4 tray just isn't enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought the Excalibur 9 tray model 3926T, their top of the line model from Excalibur online. Free shipping. I like it! Whatever you buy, be sure to get variable temperature control; and a timer is real nice. No "babysitting." Also, be sure to get some of the special sheets for making roll-ups. With some dehydrators, you may have to order them separately.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I've never quite seen the appeal of the timer, but of course it doesn't hurt to have it. The Teflex sheets are indeed useful for making fruit leathers, crackers etc. Some packages don't automatically come with a sheet for every tray, so read carefully.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane3 View Post

I just bought the Excalibur 9 tray model 3926T, their top of the line model from Excalibur online. Free shipping. I like it! Whatever you buy, be sure to get variable temperature control; and a timer is real nice. No "babysitting." Also, be sure to get some of the special sheets for making roll-ups. With some dehydrators, you may have to order them separately.
diane3,

I just joined this group and am interested in the exact model of dehydrator you bought? Are you happy with it? My concern is the noise. How loud is it?

Thanks,

Steph

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Seeing as how diane3 hasn't been around since November, I'll try to help you out.

I only have a 4-tray excalibur and since it has a fan there is a bit of a hum, like the fan over a stove, but it's not nearly as loud as the stove vent fan. I'd just turn it on and go. The rest of the family never really noticed it, either, and it's a very small kitchen.

I know a lot of people that have the 9-tray and there's a lady that even has 3 9-tray excaliburs. The noise really isn't a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
jenna,

Thanks that helps. Now do you know about the timers as I'm thinking of getting one with a timer. I've been on raw food for 13 days and I've heard some raw people say the timer is a pain as the dehydrator goes off while they are at work on asleep. Also saw that here at this site if you scroll down. The site says:

Why don't the units you offer include a built in timer?

Excalibur does not let any retailer sell the dehydrators with built in timer. What we recommend is that people go to a local store (Radio Shack, Home Depot, Wal-mart, Sears or Kmart) and obtain a "appliance timer", these generally cost about $5-$10, depending on the features. These external timers can be used for other uses (ie: turning on and off lights when you are on vacation). (The units with built in timer are about $60 more than the units than we offer).

So I'm wondering if you can use the dehydrator and use the timer when you want like when you learn how long a recipe takes to make etc. Don't know if you or anyone can help me. There not cheap but I hear they are the best.

Also heard that Alissa Cohen is coming out with her own model.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just ordered the 3900 model (without the timer). It is true that you can get an appliance timer really cheap to run the unit. Basically you plug the dehydrator into the timer, and plug the timer into the outlet. The timer controls the flow of electricity to the dehydrator for the time you select. Thus a timer. The price difference from the manufacturer between usints with and without timers is about $30, so you can save $20+ by doing this.

I can't speak for noise as mine hasn't arrived yet! I have heard mixed reviews about the noise from others. I am thinking it can't be that bad, but may bother those in the house who are not eating the food you are preparing, if you know what I mean!

Alissa Cohen's dehydrator is supposed to be coming out sometime around this fall from what I heard. If you can wait that long, it sounds like it will be worth the wait. I couldn't wait any longer personally because I was noticing I was able to stay raw easier by having dehydrated prepared foods to take with me and have available for whenever I am feeling like not eating normal raw stuff. I may sell the Excalibur and get Alissa's once I see what hers looks like.

If you ask me, the deal offered on the Excalibur website for Raw Foodists is the best deal you will find anywhere on a dehydrator of similar size and construction. You get free shipping, 10-year extended warranty and a bunch of accessories all bundled into the regular price of the unit. I couldn't beat that offer, except on E-bay but then I do not get the warranty and have to seperately purchase and ship all of the accessories.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The living foods dehydrators are worth taking a look at too. These people started making them in the seventies and are still at it. They even put out a book too "Dry it; you'll like it!" It is made of wood and metal and there are three different sizes that you can order assembled or as kits. They are pretty expensive too though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonPep'r View Post

I just ordered the 3900 model (without the timer).

Alissa Cohen's dehydrator is supposed to be coming out sometime around this fall from what I heard. If you can wait that long, it sounds like it will be worth the wait. I couldn't wait any longer personally because I was noticing I was able to stay raw easier by having dehydrated prepared foods to take with me and have available for whenever I am feeling like not eating normal raw stuff. I may sell the Excalibur and get Alissa's once I see what hers looks like.
BlindLemonPep'r,

Can you tell me what your dehydrator is like when it arrives. I asked if that special (which is great) would be on past June 30th and was told it will probably run through the summer so I'm hoping that is the case.

I e-mailed Alissa and asked about the dehydrator and was told it would be a couple months for it to come out. In the meantime I'm using a cheap Ronco one I've had for about 15 years that works but it isn't the best. I too may cave and get and excalibur as well.

When you get yours I want to know if it's as loud as this. This one is a Nesco brand but it gives me some idea of what noise to expect. Just wondering if the Excalibur is softer sounding than this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey guys! I have a question about dehydrators that i haven't really seen addressed yet...

with a dehydrator on for hours on end, how much has your electricity bill gone up???

Secondly, any ofyou use the good ol' sun??? I live in florida, and it gets PRETTY hot here all year around, the thing is right now my apartment doesn't have a balcony. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to get a dehydrator, or move into a bigger apt with a balcony and dehydrate outside instead....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts