VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I always have a hard time coming up with tasty, low-fat, high-protein (I find it helps my metabolism a LOT if I eat protein soon after getting up) Ideas for breakfast. I am currently lacto-ovo, but am always looking for good egg/dairy free meal ideas, as I am working toward embracing the whole no dairy, no egg thing. But any ideas are welcome - dairy, egg, or no. I usually have a 1 egg omelette with a poop-load of veggies - spinach, leek, peppers, broccoli, portobellos, with some beans, maybe. Very tasty, but even as an egg eater, I shouldn't have an egg every day, plus, I need some variety!

Also, what is the real deal with the tofu scramble? I've never had one - how do you make a good one, and are they REALLY good? So tell me what you all have for breakfast! Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful! I like just about everything, except olives - ick.

THANK YOU

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like to switch up things I have for breakfast, but I try and keep it high protein + high fiber + vegan.
They aren't always low fat though, because I'm trying to add more healthy fats to my diet. Anyway, here are some of the things that are in my regular rotation-

-1/2c fiber one cereal with soy yogurt and a piece of fruit

-1 serving oat bran (usually 1/2c dry, higher in protein and fiber than other hot cereals) with stevia and 1 serving chopped dried fruit (my favorite are apricots and raisins)

-1 serving steel cut oats (made with soymilk for more protein) w/ dried fruit, jam, or 1 tbsp peanut butter

-1 la tortilla factory tortilla wrap made with 1 banana and 1 tbsp peanut butter

·
Registered
592 Posts
tofu scramble can be REALLY good. there are 80,000,000 different variations with different seasonings &/or veggies. just press out a bit of moisture from the tofu, crumble it up a bit with your hands or dice it small, and go from there.

to name a few ideas, pick & choose from:

soy sauce, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, tarragon or other fresh or dried herbs, garlic salt, sea salt & pepper, vegenaise (eggless mayo...adds a nice creamy tang), earth balance or other margarine, hot sauce, garlic, onions, seasoning blends (for example cajun spices or garam masala), sundried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, mushrooms, chopped fresh veggies such as spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, chard, bell peppers, grated carrot, chickpeas or other beans, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, ETC. whatever you have around, basically, is fair game. it can be different every time, and you can make it very hearty & filling, high protein, low fat, tons of fiber....and did i mention DELICIOUS?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
The last tofu scramble I made was with brocolli, green beans and a spicy peanut sauce (from vegan with a vengance).

I really like using firm silken tofu to make a scramble!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Breakfast has always been the toughest one for me to figure out. Usually I just have toast and a big glass of soy milk, or a bowl of hot multi-grain cereal and soy milk.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Another thumbs up for tofu scramble...I would have never believed it myself if I didn't try it...even my die-hard omni husband tried it and liked it..even though he had to put ketchup on it...a lot people put ketchup on their eggs anyway...it just goes to prove that the tofu really does take on the flavor of whatever you cook it with.

I make mine very simply by sauteeing chopped onions, potatoes and crumbled tofu in a little olive oil and EB, salt, pepper and that's it. I'm not big on seasonings. I love it! You should definitely give it a try.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been having tofu scrambles lately and really enjoying them.

I've been making the Southaven Farm muffins and bread too, all whole grain and delicious. I make them vegan for one of my sisters. A muffin or slice of toast with a tofu scramble makes an awesome breakfast that really keeps me full.

I also like a hot cereal made by Arrowhead Mills called something like 4-Grain hot cereal. It's delicious and has flaxseed in it.

In hot weather, I love plain yogurt or soy yogurt with dried fruit and nuts. Yum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Whole wheat toast with PB and a glass of OJ or a fruit smoothie (banana, oj, and frozen berries)

Bean burrito made with a whole wheat tortilla and some slices of avocado

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have either high fibre cereal with soymilk and some fresh fruit or tofu scramble on whole wheat toast. When I want treat myself I have some pb on whole weat toast or pancakes/waffles with syrup. Yum!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
full english breakfast!

this one is pretty mock meat heavy, I don't know if that puts you off. I have veggie bacon, linda mccartney sausages, baked beans, potato scones with plenty of margarine, and fried tomatoes. When I was lacto ovo I had a fried egg with that as well.

You could also swap the potato cake for toast or fried bread.

Okay, so my version isn't exactly low-fat, but I bet if you went for a different option than the fried bread and went easy on the margarine it would be alright/

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No - the fake meat doesn't turn me off. I do a meal like that sometimes - usually an egg, some veggie canadian bacon, toast and beans. If you don't use margarine - it's a pretty healthy meal. I also sometimes put all of that into a sandwich, and add some tomato and a bunch of spinach--- yummm

·
Registered
45 Posts
there are some great ideas here. I too usually have some sort of egg for breakfast so it was nice to see some other options. And isowish, that does sound heavenly!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I do like Fantastic Foods tofu scrambler.. it's been ages since I have had it though.
I would mix it with extra red bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes and roll it up in a tortilla. mmm... Oh, and some extra nutritional yeast!!

Otherwise a smoothie works well for me... Made with a frozen banana, half a mango, soymilk, ground flax, and ice. Of course you can vary it with other fruits/juices/etc... but banana mango is the perfect combo, why would you change it?
Anyway, I kinda skip that in the colder months...

Oh! I adore tofutti cream cheese, and now my local grocery store sells both hydrogenated AND non-hydrogenated versions. heheh... So I will slather that all over a toasted blueberry or sesame bagel. mm..

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try tofutti on a piece of toast with sliced bananas, a bit of cinnamon, a bit of cocoa, and a sprinkling of brown sugar. Put it in the oven, or toaster oven on broil for a few minutes. I tried that this morning, and it was SUPER good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts