Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to research and make a decison for my next car purchase (somewhere in the next 12-24months).

Okay, VBers, step up and cast a vote!

Give me other suggestions also - and include why. I am open to sedans, sports cars, and trucks. No compacts, please.

I am serious about this, as I want to hear the opinion of others.

(Robert got me started thinking about this again.)

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
You need a convertible.

A real
drives a convertible. End of discussion.

Another thing is that a real patriot wouldn't drive a mercedes

But serious now : The mercedes has a somewhat more stiff suspension than the others iirc, so you better test drive it to see if the ride is too rough for your back.

Maybe you should rent one for a week, cause a drive of an hour doesn't really give away much.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by 1vegan

You need a convertible.

A real
drives a convertible. End of discussion.

Another thing is that a real patriot wouldn't drive a mercedes

But serious now : The mercedes has a somewhat more stiff suspension than the others iirc, so you better test drive it to see if the ride is too rough for your back.

Maybe you should rent one for a week, cause a drive of an hour doesn't really give away much.
I have been trying to justify the convertibel to Mrs. Tame - thanks!

I had not noticed the suspension issue with the Mercedes - thanks again. I'll check into that. (Oh, and the car will be used - I never by used - so my money will stay in the US economy.
)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I voted for the Honda Accord because I've personally had wonderful experiences with Honda. I had a Civic for four years, and that was one of the best automobiles I've ever driven.

A few members of my family also drive Hondas, and they've all had very positive experiences.

I just bought a new car last fall, so I won't be ready for a new automobile anytime soon, but when I am, I'm definitely going with another Honda. I love my Saturn, but there are definitely things that I miss about my Civic.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Since you are looking at convertibles.....

What about the Mercedes SLK320 (or is that more of a chicks car??
)

I wouldn't do the Escalade personally - gas guzzler (and I'm cheap)

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ceryna

I voted for the Honda Accord because I've personally had wonderful experiences with Honda. I had a Civic for four years, and that was one of the best automobiles I've ever driven.

I have a 2000 Accord EX right now (almost 100,000 miles on it). I love it, but I may want something different. I also plan on keeping it when I buy the new car, and possibly pass it on to Tame,Jr or my godson in a few years.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dvmarie

Since you are looking at convertibles.....

What about the Mercedes SLK320 (or is that more of a chicks car??
)

I wouldn't do the Escalade personally - gas guzzler (and I'm cheap)
I'll look into the SLK320.

·
Registered
750 Posts
escalade EXTs are soooo hot!!!!

much nicer than chevy avalanches

theyre really roomy too

a side note, its really easy to steal their front clip, so be warned

hehe

Caroline

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I polled other for hybrid. My mother emailed me saying she was going to buy a new car, and I told her I'd go to church for a month if she bought a hybrid, and I even sent her to www.whatwouldjesusdrive.org! And as the good Catholic she is, she's perfectly happy staying completely ignorant (I'm changing the topic here, aren't I? Sorry Catholics out there!
). So she bought something else... she told me what, I don't even remember.

I think a neat way to look at it is... if you currently spend $20 a week on gas, with a hybrid you'd spend $20 every three weeks.

That's pretty cool, eh Tame Dawg!! Yay! Go Hybrid.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The Mustangs just kick it....and I gotta feeling they call it the "Escape" for a reason....especially you try driving that cracker box down the turnpike..LOL.

Next Thursday, I got invited to an interactive car show sponsored by GM, but has most makes of the cars. I can't wait, they have a bunch of tracks to test drive the vehicles. The one I'm really looking forward to, is the offroad Hummer track, also there is an obstacle track for Corvettes. I get to take one friend too....that would be my SON...He loves HUMMER's, so I can't wait to ride in one with him!!

Saturn will be there...want to test drive the VUE.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Tame: me personally... it's Cadillac all the way. AND, with your back coupled with the amount of driving you do, I think its wise that you go for a longer wheelbase vehicle (just from a ride point of view).

My neighbour recently bought a Cadillac DeVille. Man... what a car. Unbelievable level of comfort and ride.

I'll tell you this... I was seriously looking at getting the Escalade, now I am leaning towards the Deville, or the Seville.

Here's a couple of direct links:

Cadillac Deville: http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...lle/index.html

Cadillac Seville:

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...lle/index.html

Cadillac just oozes comfort, class and style (even in this day of ugly-ass rounded egg-shaped vehicles instead of the classic angles and boxy styles).

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I voted for the Escalade .. they've grown on me these past few months.

I should have voted "other" and suggested a Grand National.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Robert, you're right about the Cadillacs and their level of comfort, but I would point out that the Deville is a MUCH smoother ride than the Seville. The STS has a sportier suspension that corners well but doesn't "float" like a big GM car should

Tame, Mrs. Bank is on her third Lexus and she couldn't be happier. They are quite smooth, quick, tight, reliable, and they hold their value VERY well. I need a wagon to haul my guns, horns, guitars and amps around so I drive a Volvo, and it's very tough but it's high maintenance and is a rough rider compared to the Lexus. I recommend the Lexus ES300, GS300 or the ultimate 430 if you really want to lay down some cash.

If you are set on an SUV I too like the looks of the Escalade but personally I think I would check out the Toyota Sequoias, they just look cool to me. I've never had a bad Toyota. I would think they would give you better, cheaper service over the long haul than any GM product.

Just my opinion . . . . .

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a Mercedes E-class turbo diesel. I bought it slightly new (14K miles on it) in 1991. It now has over 250K miles on it, and I love this car. I'll drive it until it dies.

I also have a Honda Del Sol from the first year that it was made (1993). It has 150K on it and has needed almost no repair.

I would recommend the Mercedes, myself. Mercedes drives like no other car on the road. BTW, my Mom has a Caddy (relatively new) and she loves her car. She also has a mustang convertible from about 10 years ago. She likes it, but she's had a few problems with it.

Personally, I won't buy another car without it being a hybrid. Although I take that back a little - Mercedes is coming out with the first diesel engine that it quiet and low exhaust. I love diesel engines, so I would consider that car, too.

Personally, I would pick the Mercedes.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts