VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good tamale recipes? It's hard enough to find vegetarian ones, let alone vegan ones, at the store, and I'm on a tight budget anyway. But I have that tamale hankering...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
MMMMMM....tamales

I wish I did have some good tamale recipes. I love tamales and I've had a hankering for them, too but don't dare make any because of the lard/shortening that you have to use for the masa flour. There are some good recipes at VegWeb, but they are mostly tamale pie recipes made with polenta.

I wish I was more help

·
Registered
0 Posts
You just need to use a shortening without lard like avegetable shortning in the masa. Then fill them up with your choices of food. I like spicey beans best! I have seen vegan ones with yams to tofu!

·
Registered
65 Posts
mmmmmm tamales are one of my favorite foods!

Last time I made vegan tamales I served it to family without telling them. they thought it was filled with meat and loved them! I'll have to get the recipe from home and post, but just like muffcake says, its not hard to make it vegan you just use vegetable margarine or soy margarine and fill it with whatever you like! Muffcake your one with yams sounds good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts