VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

Um. OK.

I see they say synthetic. But I doubt people will read that word or even understand what that is.

I also read in my local newspaper that never take Vit E as a heart disease prevention. I am off to shoot them an email too.

When will the government stop trying to support those drug companies? LOL Never I am guessing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't like your alarmist thread title. Please don't encourage people not to take vitamins - especially vegans who need a B12 supplement. Megadoses of anything obviously is not a good idea, but a well rounded multivitamin is good for you. Same with prenatal vitamins.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the key for optimal health is to eat a well-balanced diet and try to get nutrients as much as possible from their main sources. fortified foods are good too, but I was never a fan of supplements...

·
Registered
820 Posts
There is no proof that taking supplements kills people sooner than not taking them. Most likely, people were taking supplements INSTEAD OF eating whole foods.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
This was all over the news this morning here as well. Most of the physicians interviewed said that duh, of course it's best to get your nutrients from food, but they reminded folks that these studies were mostly filled with subjects who were sick from the get-go.

11,550 Posts
i think you need to use the same level of common sense and education when it comes to vitamins as you should with anything else.

its hopefully pretty well known that taking way too much vitamin a is not anywhere near to a great thing for you to do... but while we're at it, drinking way too much plain old water isn't very smart either, and i bet if you ate 25 cans of lentils, or 1,000 sticks of broccolli every day, you'd have a problem pretty soon too.

that aside, one small study that seemed to have big flaws doesn't mean we should all throw our vitamins out of the window en-masse (and we definately shouldn't flush them down the toilet, either!). i'm definately not about to start freaking out over this.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

This was all over the news this morning here as well. Most of the physicians interviewed said that duh, of course it's best to get your nutrients from food, but they reminded folks that these studies were mostly filled with subjects who were sick from the get-go.
The front page of my paper this morning was dedicated to the health benefits of cow's milk products.
Apparently lactose intolerance is the reason neanderthals died out, and europeans thrived.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Strange that the Chinese (who are, in large part, lactose intolerant) continue to grow in large numbers.

We too, had some article about heart-healthy milk/dairy. *sigh*

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's well-known that some vitamins _are_ toxic in huge doses (way beyond what food would ever provide). This is particularly likely for fat-soluble vitamins because we store them.

I also notice that a bunch of the subjects had cancer. Massive doses of antioxidants reduce the effectiveness of some forms of cancer treatment. There were times when my oncologists told me to not supplement with these (but to absolutely eat as much in food as my little heart desired).

In short, looks to me like another kernel of truth popped up by the popular media into a big, fluffy bit of mental junk food. They really do do a lousy job of interpreting the research in newspaper 'science' articles.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The book I'm reading, "The New Becoming Vegetarian," says that you don't need to take supplements if you are getting all of your nutrients and minernals. Vitamins are for the days where you might know that you might have to skip lunch or something. Or if you aren't a healthy eater. I take supplements. I am horrible of reminding myself. But, I eat very well now. I eat a lot more vegetables and fruits and grains. I am not the unhealthy vegetarian who eats icecream, chips, fries, and pizza. Yea, I agree, I don't think you should have put such an alerting topic on your thread.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
What a stupid article!! Of course, any vitamin supplement taken in excess, can cause injury or death. Duh!

Supplements are called supplements for a reason. They are supposed to supplement the diet, not replace it. Whoever wrote that article, didn't interview the healthy people, who take supplements responsibly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.