VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, So I've finally got my parents convinsed that I wasn't just trying to find something to follow when I told them I wanted to become a Vegetarian. Now I'm able to advance from my semi-vegetarian lifestyle into the real thing. Sounds great, right? Well, then theres an issue. I live in central Nebraska, where people practically worship meat and they randomly say "bacon" all the time. So, I'm gonna need some support to help me through this. Anyone?

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
Unless you do already, learn how to cook! Find some good recipe books. I don't really know much about central Nebraska, but if there are "fancy" ingredients/foods you can't easily get there (hummus, tofu, seitan, vegetarian cheese ....), then learn how to make them from scratch.

If you live in a suitable area, maybe you can even grow some food yourself? It's a good and satisfying feeling, knowing that you're able to feed yourself.

Even if you think there are no other vegetarians in your area, make an effort to look for them. Online is probably easier, but real-life is also possible. If another vegetarian passed you in the street or in the grocery store, would they be able to tell you're a fellow vegetarian? Consider getting a discrete badge or something so you stand out (but not too much - you don't want to be lynched by the cattleman's association
).

Welcome to VeggieBoards!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnaExxe View Post

...Nebraska, where people practically worship meat and they randomly say "bacon" all the time. So, I'm gonna need some support to help me through this. Anyone?

I just made the switch to vegetarian not a week ago. I live in the middle of Oklahoma. Though I told them of my decision, I can't tell my parents that I have voluntarily bought and eaten tofu and veggie burgers. Basically we're in the same boat! (Of course I may be worse off -- Oklahoma is the reddest of the red states
)

I agree with Indian Summer on his several points -- except the one about wearing a badge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I first became a vegetarian I went through alot of hardships with my family as they are big meat-eaters and nothing I ever say will change their minds.

I do agree with Indian Summer that if you do not already know how to cook you should definitley learn because it will make your choice to become a vegetarian much more easier when you are able to prepare vegetarian meals and alternatives for yourself and do not have to rely on trying to have your parents making vegetarian alternative for you.

I believe that if you are 100% for becoming a vegetarian no matter where you live you can make that transition. I still hear many negative comments from people about me being a vegetarian. However, I am happy with myself for my decision and how I am doing a good thing for animals and do not let others' opinions affect me.

It is a tougher road for some than others, but I believe if you are commited to it for the right reasons than nothing can hold you back
Having support always helps aswell, I am sure if you look hard enough there is another vegetarian in Nebraska. If not, there are plenty online!

Goodluck

·
Registered
824 Posts
I agree with learning to cook
Its big. I grew up in a home that ate take out and dined out most nights of the week and now I have my own family and cooking is my favorite thing. I have a blog that I just started but it has recipes and reviews of vegan products, places and things. I make lots of easy food because I have 3 kids.
I have been vegan for over a decade but when we moved to PA 5 years ago from NY I felt the difference right away. I was lonely and needed support and I still feel like that sometimes. I like being able to come online. Welcome.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Gawd, I'm so so SO glad I live in California. Welcome to VB!

I give a
to the cooking advice. It's not at all difficult to make delicious vegetarian versions of the foods you love.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Have you tried "meetup.com"? There might be a veg*an meet up near you (not sure how rural you are, or what, if any, the public transportation is like). I agree, try cooking dinner for your entire family, and see what they say. Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't understand why omnis make such a huge deal about vegetarianism. It is perplexing to me why people feel the need to be so controlling over the food habits of others. It really isn't a big deal. It can be a healthy way of life, or an unhealthy way just like any other dietary style. It is what you make it. I feel bad that so many of us have to have a battle over it or feel have to hide it from our family, friends, etc... That is so disturbing to me.

I really advise that you read some books specific to vegetarian nutrition, and read some cookbooks. I wasn't a very healthy omni, but I am a healthy vegetarian. I fell like it's a good chance to set a good example and show others the benefits of vegetarianism. Plus, it's good for you to eat a really healthy diet.

I giggled over the part where you said they randomly say the word bacon.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
You know I go to church with a good chunk of hunters(no offense please) I hear some preach about hunting how good the meat is however, I just laugh at them because they are funny and just go on my way and just ignore them. My husband's half sister and her family has in their house if you don't eat enough of the food including the yucky animal products your not too full and your missing out alot of good food.
However, I just eat what I am needing to eat and tell people accept me the way i am. My husband likes the idea that we are not going overboard with our food budget now well sorta since I been sick and needed extra nutrient stuff however, we are learning. You will get used to it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in south Florida, so I'd say that there's a fair amount of vegetarians here, but when I first became a vegetarian I had minimal support from my parents who were initially totally against it, and my friends just considered it a pretty weird and random decision. Honestly, I'd say that some of the best support you'll find is online, like here at Veggieboards or any other site similar to this with likeminded people. I was overwhelmed by the support I received when I first joined this site. Besides that, parents definitely get more supportive over time, especially if you learn to do your own cooking, like some posters above suggested, and if you provide them with lots of good information about veg*nism. Also, when people find out that you're vegetarian, you soon start finding vegetarian people that you didn't even know of before. When I first became a vegetarian, I knew of one girl at my school that was one too, and now I know like ten different veg*n people! I even managed to convert my omni friend to vegetarianism, and my other friend is pescatarian now which isn't optimal but it's a step in the right direction.
Trust me, support will slowly come along!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling View Post

I don't understand why omnis make such a huge deal about vegetarianism. It is perplexing to me why people feel the need to be so controlling over the food habits of others.
Sometimes omnis feel like veg*ans are the ones controlling their eating habits, such as, "Let's eat at Restaurant X." "We can't, because it doesn't have any veg*an dishes." Or if the veg*an is at a get together with omnis, eating nothing but salad, no matter what kind, the omnis might see a look in the veg*an's eyes that says, "We can eat more than just salad. You could've made a veg*an main course/side(s)/breads/appetizers/desserts." Then the omnis feel attacked for their diet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hear ya. Hang in there. I've only been doing the strict vegetarian diet for a short while, and the reactions from people when you tell them that you're a vegetarian are like you told them you're turning into a green space alien or something. I'm looking forward to finding support from like-minded vegetarians myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Nocturnal -- you could move (haha just kidding) good luck. you'll find plenty of support here! And "Smiling" I SO agree with what you said. Why is it such a big deal to omnivores?! I've been veg for 33 years, and my own family still seems to have trouble dealing with it. I won't preach to them, but I sure would like to! Why should WE (veg'n) be on the defensive??? Shouldn't the omni's be the ones defending themselves for their choices -- knowing full well what goes on with factory farming and all. They just want to ignore the reality because meat tastes good and it's more convenient??? Well I feel I can get support on veggieboards for sure and it really helps! My new quick answer to people who ask why I'm vegetarian is "I don't believe in cruelty to animals."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.