VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this class next semester (my boss will be the prof so he's given me the skinny) and we each have to pick either a nutrient or something that could reasonably be suggested to be formally included in the SAD (not quite sure what that means). I have decided to bat for raw. I have to gather literature through out the semester and formulate a proposal that I will give as a presentation at the end of the semester. I would like to cover pathology to biochemistry of nutrients etc. We know that certain nutrients lose their beneficial effects when cooked at high(er) temps so this is where I'm going to start.

If you have any information via .edu's or .gov's to offer up, please do so here! Or if you are interested in having anything specifically investigated let me know. There isn't a whole lot of literature out there on the raw or mostly raw diet so I'm guessing I'm going to have to do a lot of piecemealing.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year i did a bit of poking around and found only 3 articles about raw in the literature...i think only one or two was an acutal study. There's so little information out there. thanks for the support tho!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've also noticed there's little information out there when I was doing a little bit of research myself. And you're welcome!

SeaSiren: Yes, I believe it's Standard American Diet.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

SAD? Do they mean Standard American Diet?
well, i used SAD but yes, he said the standard american diet. I'm not sure what he's getting at re:adjusting the SAD though.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
there is practically no research about this raw stuff out there.

i was given, as a gift, the "best book on raw foodism!" (this praise given by those who utilize raw books, etc). It was mostly poetry, postulation, and 'try it you'll like it' sort of stuff. with very little 'science' about the process.

i did research on my own and found more poetry and personal experiences, but very little science.

now, i like a lot of raw food and raw food recipes, and i eat a lot of it. but, i don't know if it's 'scientificly' appropriate.

sorry that i can't help. i'll send you the poetry book if you'd like! LOL (btw, the poetry is BAD!)

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awe zoe...poetry...you really crack me up lol.

yea, well as i said, there's not a whole lot of info re: raw diet but i'm sure i could piece something together from multiple studies. So, what some of you might be able to do is if you're aware of the benefits of certain nutrients served raw then you could share the sourced info here. I always talk about the garlic thing cuz that's all i'm really aware of. then, there's always the roughage arguement.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks janie! i'll check it out.

Nigel,

yea, it's going to be focussed on health benefits but you pose an interesting idea that's certainly worthy of investigation.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

Can you take an environmental argument, also? Or can your position only illustrate health benefits?
In 2003 there was actually a study done on the pollutants emitted by cooking (particularly frying). Sorry I don't have a link, but I remember the study was done at the University of Dayton Research Institute. Anyway, they tested different types of cooking oils etc and concluded that both acetaldehyde and acrolein were released. The EPA categorizes both these compounds as "extremely toxic to humans" and "probable human carcinogens".

Anyway, keep us posted gaya! I have a long running debate with my father about the degradation of nutrients due to heat. It's common sense, but I can't seem to find any citable reports to back it up. Gimme some firepower!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good luck finding the studdies, seems they only invest in drugs & things that can be patented to make money. If the truth were well known alot of people would be out of jobs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts