VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some riders here!

I am looking at some synthetic saddles, in particular this one.

Does anyone know if it is comfortable and balanced for a beginner?

I saw another cheap saddle, but it was leather and had calf leather too.

Do you have any other suggestions for good saddles, or a website where I can buy used saddles? My price range is up to $300, which is little for a saddle, but I don't want to buy an expensive one. Also, I ride English.

Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
No experience with that saddle in particular... I know the Bates Wintec line has a very convincingly "leather" saddle, though, which a couple of my friends have and are very pleased with.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've always found synthetic saddles quite comfortable, and I can't say I've ever heard of a preference between them and leather ones. As long as it's the right style and size, I wouldn't say it being synthetic will make any difference to a beginner. Might be better to switch now if anything, instead of riding for years on leather saddles

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowoutonvinyl View Post

what type of riding do you do? dressage, jumping etc?
I will eventually do jumping, but for now I just need an all purpose saddle. I ride hunt seat.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowoutonvinyl View Post

then the wintec should be fine. could probably find it cheaper on ebay though state line is kind of expensive.
I was thinking of getting one from usedsaddles.com because they have a trial period, so if I dont like it I can send it back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trial period is a good idea so it can go back if it doesnt fit the horse properly. That one looks quite decent (although Im not really a fan of knee patches myself, although suppose I could be if I had more of a chance to get used to them). If youre looking for a "vegetarian" saddle though, it doesnt mention that the suede is fake, just the leather.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ive heard lots of good things about bates/wintec. ive never ridden in one though. do you have a tack shop near you? some have used saddles for sale. there usually way cheaper than new ones. how long have you been ridding?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.