VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nope. Sounds like whoever discovered this may have had too much fun in the 60's if ya know what I mean
Figures the association would have to be in Ohio....go figure. Maybe we have a hidden treasure I'm not familiar with..'shrooms maybe?

Juskiddin' ... no, seriously I've never hearda sucha thing!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I do, but not the fancy kind. Letters and numbers have gender very strongly and personalities to a lesser degree. I thought everyone had this until I asked a group of people, Is 7 a woman or a man to you? And they just gave me blank looks.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Synaesthesia is a valid phenomenon. I have a professor in anthropology who studies and writes about it.

As I understand it, it's not a hallucination persay. It's more like a crossing of sensory wiring.

You might see blue, and taste bread, for example. Or hear a noise and smell something everytime you hear it. Or touch something and see a colour.

IT's more of an immediate confusion of your sensory readings.

Most people experience it to some extent, when they can 'see' the colours in music, etc.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
There is usually not any confusion. You may hear sound when you see something, but you don't usually confuse those sounds with actual sounds. They therefore are not hallucinations, or delusions, but illusions, or imagary. I get it when I insist on keeping going, even though I am really fatiqued. However when I am alert like I am now, I have trouble remembering what exactly I perceived, when I was fatigued. When fatigued, I remember the last time I was fatiqued, and what synethesia happened then. I had it even before my brain injury. It is sort of like automatic involuntary imagination. My bet is that since we don't talk about it much at all, the truth is that most or all people have it at times, as Avalon pointed out -- but many simply don't remember it later. What we remember is what we go back to, re-think, verbalize and reberbalize. So things we don't talk about much, we tend not to remember -- unless we perceive an important reason for remembering them. But a little quirk of perception like this -- it is not that improtant that we remember it. It doesn't interfere usually with perceiving what is going on. I'm a really into going to extra lengths to remember things, that most people don't go to -- so I remember having it.

I think it's perfectly nawurlmul.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i dunno, i sometimes get a certain feeling associated with a specific event or something, but i don't think that's the same. it's usually something i can't quite put my finger on, or like there's a certain smell that i really truly hate and can't figure out why. it's not an offensive smell, but it triggers something in the back of my mind that makes me feel ill at the smell of it. can't explain it but there it is.

i think synaesthesia could maye be just a more extreme case of that, whatever it is.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
This is all news to me. I have never heard of such a thing. Certainly I am aware of smelling something and imagining that I taste it, too, such as when my mom bakes bread, but I don't think that's quite the same thing.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Right. It's not the same thing. Most of "taste" is actually nasal receptors, not mouth receptors. So tasting without anything in your mouth, but in your nose instead, would easily be simply tasting, and not synesthesia. But if you perceived a color to have a clear "taste" that would be synesthesia. Or a sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts