VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
ANIMAL LIBERATION WORKSHOP

An Animal Liberation Workshop is taking place in Luzern on Saturday and Sunday, 21st and 22nd July.

Details and registration here: http://animal-liberation.at/

Workshop is in English. All are welcome. Beginners or non-beginners. Possibility to sleep on the floor of the premises if you don't have a place to stay.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
3rd AZOT DEMONSTRATION

The third demonstration of AZOT (Aktion Zirkus Ohne Tiere/Action for Circuses without Animals) takes place in Luzern on Saturday July 21st.

It starts at the Theaterplatz at 13h.

Come dressed up if you wish... as a clown, or a juggler... or just come as yourself if you prefer!!!

AZOT is always looking for people to help them out - whether it be to assist them in organising, distributing leaflets, or helping out at the info stands. The aim of AZOT is to follow the KNIE circus throughout the WHOLE of its yearly tour, and so far, the goal has more or less been reached. But for this, the more people available to help, the better.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
VEGAN NETWORK

Small group of vegans living in Switzerland want to get bigger! We are looking for other vegans to create a network for meet-ups and activism for animal rights and veganism all over the country. Only strict vegans (if you eat your granny's cake which has eggs in it just to please her, you are not a vegan!), or people who want to become vegans and who need advice and a shove. "Freegans" who eat animal products from the dumpster, please abstain from joining. Vegans from regions in other countries that are near Switzerland are welcome. Contact: [email protected]

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
MrFalafel: I do not know, but will see if I can find out. However, I doubt very much you will find one hotel better than another. Veganism is still pretty unheard of in Switzerland.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Switzerland is 'mainly about' living in relative comfort, safety and affluence, at the expense of the world's poor, disadvantaged and victimized.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
The Animal Liberation workshop was great, as was the demonstration against the Knie Circus.

What was great about the workshop was that there were mainly vegans there!!

We had the privilege of having Keith Mann attending the whole workshop, presenting his new book « From Dusk to Dawn » http://www.thethinkshop.co.uk/fdtd/keith.asp, and the movie « Behind the Mask » http://www.uncagedfilms.com/

It was very funny, because when I walked into the room where the workshop was taking place, I saw Keith, and I said to someone « I wonder if that person has ever been told how much he looks like Keith Mann ! » His presence had not been announced and was a great surprise. Hes a perfectly delightful person and a great inspiration to all AR activists.

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Some more news on the AZOT campaign

Knie bows out.

Our popular national circus seems to be getting a bit uncomfortable about "its" elephants. Having passed the halfway mark on this year's tour of cruelty, being followed at every step by AZOT (Action for a circus without animals), Knie today disappointed hundreds of children, parents and circus fans by calling off the "elephants' breakfast" in Lucerne's Vögeligärtli park at the last minute. Claiming that the event would have been abused by militant animal rights activists as a platform for their protests, the circus neatly sidestepped the justified criticism of animal use in circuses. The fact that the event is not so much free entertainment as hard-selling, highly targeted advertising begs the question of exactly who would have been abusing whom anyway.

By hiding its involuntary symbol bearers away from the limelight of criticism, the national circus will not stop AZOT presenting its arguments and constantly drawing attention to the problem of animal use by circus companies.

On the contrary: some 250 people met at Lucerne's Theaterplatz at 13:00 hours to protest against Circus Knie and its "oh so exemplary" animal keeping. Imagine taking an elephant and carting it around the country every four or five days, giving it ankle shackles and a heatable tent, a prick in the thigh now and then, a few square meters to exercise in, alongside (forced) training, and calling that "exemplary, species-appropriate animal keeping" - who are they trying to fool?

The demonstration was a very colorful affair. Young and old, humans, animals and clowns all joined in to make their point peacefully and far from quietly. The procession made its way through Lucerne's old town and newer districts to the common where Circus Knie is currently appearing. Two units of riot police in full kit quickly took up their positions at the main gate. It was impossible to tell if they were there to defend against a flyer attack or if they were just warming up for the football match that was to follow later in the afternoon. Unprovoked by this excessive police presence, the chanting demonstrators paused to enjoy the cheeky antics of the clowns as they mimicked and mocked the police officers, who were clearly at a loss as to how to deal with them.

It was interesting to observe that Knie had also hired private security staff with full body armor, although there has never been violence of any kind. We can only speculate about the effectiveness of the elephants and all the other animals as crowd pullers and as a source of turnover, but we do wonder if it is enough to justify such expense. Think of all the added costs and difficulties involved with "exemplary animal keeping" - and now they feel the need to hire extra security and do without their promotional "elephants' breakfast". Where will it end?

Even if they refuse to talk to us, we ask Circus Knie to pause for thought and consider what is the real fascination of the circus that enchants and excites so many people, young and old. Is it the circus itself, or is it the poor animals it keeps at its mercy?

As true circus-lovers we will continue our campaign - for the sake of the animals. Boycott cruelty, because only freedom is species-appropriate!

http://www.azot.ch/

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
The 4th national AZOT demonstration takes place in Lausanne on Saturday 29th in Lausanne. We will be taking the route from the center of town down to the lake to the Knie Circus itself.

We have already distributed thousands and thousands of leaflets, and it's not finished yet! We'll be sticking with the Knie until the end of their season.

More info on the AZOT website: http://www.azot.ch/index.php?lang=fr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, are you from Switzerland?I yes, whereabouts? I'm from canton St. Gallen. Do you know if they are any vegetarian/vegan groups near here? And if you don't, do you know where I could find out? I'd love to meet other vegans because no one I know is a vegan and I'd like to become one. It would also help my parents to understand, I think.

I've just been looking at the AZOT page. It's a really good thing! I'd come to a demo if there were one near me...

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Sheesh... I didn't realise that there was a post here from someone in Switzerland. Haven't been here for ages. GetYourToast: Are you still around??? Please send me a private message if you are and we can discuss stuff.

Next AZOT demo is tomorrow in Rapperswil. Knie kicks off their season, and so do we.

Here for VB's members pleasure is a youtube clip of last year's AZOT demos:

NB: Any Swiss activists or people in neighbouring countries can get informed of some AR activities announced on the Swiss Animal Liberation Agenda on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/animalagenda

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been studying French, and am looking into the possibility of studying for a year in a French-speaking country. I am mainly interested in either Belgium (Wallonie) or Switzerland (Romandie). Which of the two countries is more vegetarian-friendly? I don't eat any meat at all, but I do eat dairy products and eggs.

If anyone can tell me about Francophone Switzerland and vegetarianism, I would greatly appreciate any insight you can provide. This may also influence my decision of where to study. Thank you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Romandie is, in my opinion, very veggie friendly... But since I live in central switzerland I can't tell you many details about restaurants. You could ask Diana (she's on this board), she's a vegan from geneva and should know very well about veg*nism in the western part of switzerland. But in switzerland beeing a veggie is generally easy, cause every mature city has some health food stores and even smaller towns have super markets (coop & migros have O/L Veggie Burgers, Sausages and steaks).

Happy cow about Geneva: http://www.happycow.net/europe/switzerland/geneva/

Happy cow about Lausanne: http://www.happycow.net/europe/switzerland/lausanne/ (I've been to "Dhanyaa, Vegetarian Take Away" great indian food)

·
Registered
464 Posts
When I lived in Zurich, Hilti Vegi was my absolute favorite. Its on Sihlstrasse not far from Jemoli. Oh how I miss that place!

·
Banned
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Switzerland is 'mainly about' living in relative comfort, safety and affluence, at the expense of the world's poor, disadvantaged and victimized.
How exactly does that work then?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts