VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading all the anti soy claims im thinking of changing my milk from soy to dairy im wondering if any one eles has switched or has a opinion on whether or not i should??? thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Have you tried rice milk or one of the other nonsoy dairy free milks? Your body might do better on one of these.

Jennifer

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey, due to the anti-soy claims you may have heard, I strongly recommend you read an article that was written by John Robbins at his Food Revolution website. He discusses quite in detail and accuracy about the claims made against soy. He acknowledges what has been said and tries to either give you the truth about particular claims or clears it up for you. Here, click the link, or copy and paste if it doesn't work: http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm

·
Registered
53 Posts
"dairy has even more health problems associated than dairy"

awesome. lol. Dairy has more health problems associated than soy*?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Vegan View Post

Hey, due to the anti-soy claims you may have heard, I strongly recommend you read an article that was written by John Robbins at his Food Revolution website. He discusses quite in detail and accuracy about the claims made against soy. He acknowledges what has been said and tries to either give you the truth about particular claims or clears it up for you. Here, click the link, or copy and paste if it doesn't work: http://www.foodrevolution.org/what_about_soy.htm
I second what Mr. Vegan says. A great link with thorough coverage of the topic.

Here is another good link. Dr. McDougall talks about the health benefits of traditional soy products, and warns against the dangers of the fake foods made from soy. In this newsletter, he goes into the various arguments that have been raised for and against soy:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005...50400pusoy.htm

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thanks okay i have tried the rice milk and just find it weird , im having trouble finding almond!! i think i need dairy cause i need calcium and dont want to live off a suppliment, is yoghurt any better?// also i eat tofu 2-3 times per week so i dont really want to get any more soy im not anti soy just want to cut down a bit!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
North America (I don't know where you live, just using this as a reference since I happen to live in North America)has one of the highest consumptions of dairy products, and also the highest incidence of osteoporosis - (where your bones get brittle because of the loss of calcium.)

The dairy lobby has many campaigns and advertisements encouraging people to consume large quantities of dairy products to ward off this dreaded disease later in life. But that's not really the best way to get your calcium!

Regardless of how much calcium you take in, the amount your body can actually absorb and retain matters more than how much you drink (or eat).

Digesting animal protein (like dairy milk) creates an acidic environment in the body. To neutralize the acid, the body actually robs calcium from the bones, so.... drinking milk is actually the worst way to get your calcium.

Since the consumption of animal protein increases calcium requirements, a person following a vegan diet might actually much lower needs.

Some vegan sources of calcium include: dark green vegetables such as broccoli, bok choy and kale, beans, tofu (made with calcium), tahini, sesame seeds, almonds, figs, seaweeds, and fortified soymilks. (Blackstrap molasses is supposed to have a good amount too, but since the stuff makes me want to gag, I can't recommend it here
).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
great info TNS.

OP........do you have a Trader Joes near you? ours has almond milk and its a lot cheaper than Whole Foods, and its the same one.....blue diamond i think is the brand,

anyway the vanilla one is yummy, we use it on cereal.

my kids are stuck on soy milk and i am trying to get them to both like almond milk just to cut back on the soy for them too........they still drink at least `1 maybe 2 cups a day and sometimes have it in cereal too.......

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmmmmmmm thanku well i eat alot of nuts and seeds and loads of greens and seaweed , so mabey i dont need dairy?/?? or even dairy substitiute.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK12 View Post

hmmmmmmmm thanku well i eat alot of nuts and seeds and loads of greens and seaweed , so mabey i dont need dairy?/?? or even dairy substitiute.
Yup, Now you've got it! It might be a necessity for baby cows, but certainly not for us humans!!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Almond milk is surprisingly easy to make if you have a blender. Here's a recipe:

1/3 cup raw, whole, peeled almonds (if you don't have peeled ones, you can blanch them in boiling water for about a minute, rinse them under cold water, and the peels will slip right off)

2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or agave nectar

1/8 tsp almond extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine and blend until smooth! I drink mine this way, some people prefer to strain it through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Usually when I make almond milk, it is for smoothies so then I just leave it in the blender, add fruit and blend some more.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Almond milk is surprisingly easy to make if you have a blender. Here's a recipe:

1/3 cup raw, whole, peeled almonds (if you don't have peeled ones, you can blanch them in boiling water for about a minute, rinse them under cold water, and the peels will slip right off)

2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or agave nectar

1/8 tsp almond extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine and blend until smooth! I drink mine this way, some people prefer to strain it through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Usually when I make almond milk, it is for smoothies so then I just leave it in the blender, add fruit and blend some more.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Colorful I was just thinking about making my own as well. I happened across an old Fit for Life II book by the Diamonds ......my mom had it...........remember them? anyway there is a recipe for making almond milk in there and its just like yours,

I need to get to trader joes for some raw almonds asap!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts