VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get organic produce delivered to my house, and they included a big bundle of chard this time.
What do you do with chard? I'm going to put it into some green smoothies, but I'm looking for other suggestions as well.
Always looking to add more greens to my diet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried some recently for the first time (not sure why I never had it before). I carmelized some onions in a bit of olive oil, then added the stalks to soften those for a few minutes. Next, I added the leaves until they just wilted. Some salt and pepper... simple and delicious! Even my omni boyfriend loved it and he generally hates dark, leafy greens. May have been due to the onions though. At least I now know how to get him to eat his greens, lol! I have an unholy love for another dark green, kale, so I generally don't have a problem getting enough!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the caramelized onions idea!
sorrowthepig- do you have a vegan potato and leek soup recipe you would be willing to share?? That sounds fantastic!

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
luv chard, the rainbow kind is beautiful!

chard is great chopped up in a salad or added to a sandwich or bean burger

with the really big pieces I use as wraps, just add rice beans and dressing or salsa and roll/wrap it up like a burrito

·
Registered
992 Posts
I love swiss chard.

Just chop it up and sautee it with some olive oil and garlic. Like just about any other green, the chunks of stem will need longer than the leaves.

Growing up, SC was the reason my mom's lasagna was always better than everybody else's - instead of spinach, she used chard in her filling.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
agreed! chard doesn't need as long to cook as collard or kale does, and I love the rainbow kind too!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Sautee it with tempeh bacon so it's kinda like a southern thing. In the south they usually use bacon or ham hocks but that's gross use tempeh bacon. Or you can use it as a wrap in place of tortilla.

EDIT: I thought you were talking about collard greens, sorry. I usually sautee it with garlic and coconut oil and other spices or add it to salads or soups. Also, green smoothies!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I make lentil soup and throw it in near the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts