VeggieBoards banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car talk guys have a nice quiz that adds some sanity to the SUV debate by pointing out that you probably don't need one: <a href="http://cartalk.cars.com/info/suv/quiz.html" target="_blank">http://cartalk.cars.com/info/suv/quiz.html</a><br><br><br><br>
I actually find most of the arguments for SUV owneship to be finacially not very compelling. For most occasional funiture and appliance hauling it is cheaper to just rent a panel truck for the day from uhaul than to pay monthly interest and insurance on an SUV.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
"Good news! You definitely don't need an SUV. For you, it would be a fashion accessory. "<br><br><br><br>
<sic> for some people looks/ego above anything</sic><br><br><br><br>
The test is wrong:<br><br><br><br>
Why don't I get "You don't need a car !" ?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The first time I was in a SUV was back in '97. I was living in NYC, and this guy I was friendly with was taking me out for my birthday, as a first date. He lived downtown, and I lived uptown, even though I had no problem taking a subway or cab to meet him downtown, he instisted on picking me up. When I got into his SUV I couldn't believe how big it was, I just started laughing because it seemed so ridicules. I asked him what he needed a vehicle that size for, and he told me he might have to move paintings around with it. I later came to realize, after knowing him a few years, he never once needed to move a painting. He put less then a thousand miles a year on it, and, that's largely because whenever we left the city for a drive, we would get lost. The only time he used it in the city was the night he picked me up.<br><br>
I should add that he paid $800 dollars a month to park the monster. For being such an intelligent, thoughtful person, it never made sense to me that he felt the need for it.<br><br>
He also had a Harley, that I saw him ride exactly once in the five years I knew him. I think it may have been a midlife crises thing.<br><br>
I think I may have been a midlife crisis thing.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
A car symbolises a lot of things.<br><br><br><br>
The general idea is that you absolutely need one.<br><br>
I choose not to have one, and people think that I cant afford one.<br><br><br><br>
Reality is that I can afford one. No problem.<br><br>
so you get to work with your bike, how many miles? answer: almost 8 miles.<br><br>
and when it rains? answer: I wear a rain suit.<br><br>
how did you come to work today? (14 F) answer: With my bike.<br><br>
but its so cold.. answer: I wear gloves, a cap and pedal a bit harder.<br><br><br><br>
People are so surprised that you can get somewhere with a bike or public transport..

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to ride my bike all over the city, in all kinds of weather. I had a painting studio downtown, while I lived uptown. By car, or subway, it would take about 30 to 40 minutes to travel between the two. On bike it took a little over twenty minutes. Oh how I miss the rush of weaving in and out of traffic.<br><br>
I live in the country now where I run, or rollerblade, the five miles between my mom's house and mine. I probably drive my car less than five times a week.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I took the quiz and found out what I already knew...that I do not need an SUV. However, I really admire those of you without any car. I just don't see a way to do that right now. We live 10 miles out of town, and I can't see biking it to and from school everyday, with my 9 & 6 year olds...not to mention getting groceries. I try to combine trips, but that is the best I can do for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts