VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So your in a forest and the only way to survive is to kill animals to eat. Yes I know there are plants but I'm being hypothetical here. Would you kill what you need or starve?

Before I thought I would rather die then kill for survival but I'm thinking more and more and it is survival of the fittest. Lions kill only what they need for food and that's what I would do. Of course it will probably never come down to this but I'm just making a what if situation.

However I hate when omnis use the survival of the fittest and we need meat to surive BS excuse. They are just trying to justify there action.
 

·
Impeach the gangster
Joined
·
10,052 Posts
Do you have a rifle and unlimited ammo? Are you proficient with a bow and arrow and do you have those? Can you throw a rock with precision and great force? Because if not, about the only animals you'd be able to kill are bugs and worms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Do you have a rifle and unlimited ammo? Are you proficient with a bow and arrow and do you have those? Can you throw a rock with precision and great force? Because if not, about the only animals you'd be able to kill are bugs and worms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

I'm thinking more and more and it is survival of the fittest. Lions kill only what they need for food and that's what I would do.
This isn't even what survival of the fittest means. If you threw a lion into the ocean he would die, because the ocean is not the niche into which he has evolved to fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Do you have a rifle and unlimited ammo? Are you proficient with a bow and arrow and do you have those? Can you throw a rock with precision and great force? Because if not, about the only animals you'd be able to kill are bugs and worms.
actually there are alot of traps that you can make with just things that you find out in the woods naturally. you can make traps in several differant ways out of logs rocks and smaller sticks you can even use vines. also there are alot of other animals that you can just catch with your bare hands snakes and turtles just to name two. i used to hunt by trapping for years b4 i went vegan

but to answer the original question if the only way for me to survive was to eat another living creature then i would there wouldnt be a choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,245 Posts
Yeah this is why cannibalism played such an important role in our evolution. Humans are the easiest prey to catch. Funny though that no one who thinks their life is more important than another living creature's life would consider hunting and killing humans for survival.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbakedbeans View Post

actually there are alot of traps that you can make with just things that you find out in the woods naturally. you can make traps in several differant ways out of logs rocks and smaller sticks you can even use vines.
Do you suppose most people can figure out how to rig a trap on their own? Many, many people couldn't even figure out how to program a VCR - with instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Wow
Why wow? Wow as in, "I can't believe you have the nerve to say that"?

I agree with SomebodyElse, survival of the fittest works in a different way. Bunnies are totally fit for their ecological niche, which is why they're still around today - they're as fit as a shark or a lion for their respective niche. Still wouldn't be able to hunt and eat me. (Which is good, my rabbit's enclosure would get a whole new level of importance.)

Anyway, if I absolutely had to, I might - although I'm not sure I'd be able to hunt and kill anything, I'm a complete whimp with little practical thinking when it comes to things like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Yeah this is why cannibalism played such an important role in our evolution. Humans are the easiest prey to catch. Funny though that no one who thinks their life is more important than another living creature's life would consider hunting and killing humans for survival.
good point. I would eat toddlers, because they come right up to you, and they can't run very fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Sure. But if I had to kill the animal I would do it in the least painful way I could. After all, I kill bugs with my feet everytime I take a walk, so It's not like it's possible to exist without doing some kind of impact. If I thought like that I might as well kill myself right away since that would be the truly altruistic thing to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
I honestly don't believe I could physically kill an animal, myself, for food. Realizing that is why I became veg*n in the first place.

Would it be different if it were a matter of life and death? I don't think it would, but I've never been in that situation. People have done unpredictable things to survive before, and I'm certainly not going to say I know 100% how I'd behave if I were actually in the scenario.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _charlotte_ View Post

After all, I kill bugs with my feet everytime I take a walk
Walk with more care


Srs tho, there's no weight to these kinds of hypothetical situations, because no-one can say how they will react. ashlend is entirely right that we cannot know. Also this situation is particularly flawed, as OP seems to infer that eating animals will lead to eventual rescue? In which case there would need to be a time scale, or is it indefinite?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,456 Posts
Hypothetical questions are dumb because there is a 99.9% chance of them never happening. Anyways, yes I would kill animals to survive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
This is a hypothetical question which has very little or nothing to do with my life as it is.

For me, being a vegan is about making positive choices within the framework of the world I actually live in. It's not a fairy tale. It's a tangible boycott of cruel industries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

Do you have a rifle and unlimited ammo? Are you proficient with a bow and arrow and do you have those? Can you throw a rock with precision and great force? Because if not, about the only animals you'd be able to kill are bugs and worms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

This is a hypothetical question which has very little or nothing to do with my life as it is.

For me, being a vegan is about making positive choices within the framework of the world I actually live in. It's not a fairy tale. It's a tangible boycott of cruel industries.


Humans can't survive off of meat alone. If there really wasn't any vegetation (which there would have to be if there was animals) I would die anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I've always hated when omni's ask me this question.

Mostly because, the answer should be an obvious "YES". Do they seriously think that I value a Cow's life, more than my own life?

Also, it's totally irrelevant to today and doesn't get anywhere in terms of an actual discussion. The person is either asking the question for attention, or they...nope, it's really just attention they want.

And as Jon Foer has beautifully pointed out, what would I kill said animals with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
K, so your trapped in a forest and the only way to survive is killing a dog to eat, yes I know there are plants, but I'm being hypothetical here. Would you do it?

Much different now, isn't it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

good point. I would eat toddlers, because they come right up to you, and they can't run very fast.
Toddlers, or disabled people, or the old and the infirm. Anyone who is weak or disadvantaged would be perfect.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top