VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been learning a Japanese martial art for a couple of years. Recently, my instructor and I have had a number of discussions about why there are so few women in our class. So I would like to survey any women on this board what their reasons are for not participating in a martial art. I understand that there are many people who are just plain not interested in martial arts and that's fine. However, my question is mostly to those of you ladies who would be interested in training in a martial art, but have not done so yet because ______ (fill in the blank). Also, if you trained for a while but then stopped going, I'd like to also know why. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
There are usually more females in my tae kwon do class than males. If everyone in the class showed up on the same day, there might be a few more men than women, but it's pretty close to being equal, at least among the regulars (it's a free class offered by the college, so there's no pressure for people to come to every lesson).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've never done it because I've been too busy or too broke, and since my family owns a dance studio (thus the classes are free) I always went with dance rather than martial arts.

It's something I've wanted to do, however, and it never crossed my mind that my being female might be a barrier to it.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I love judo and was in it for quite a while. Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend classes for financial reasons, and because I do shift work, so I would have to miss a week of classes probably once or twice a month. I'd like to go back when I'm in a better situation.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just recently started Bujinkan but up until then I never could find the time to start martial arts, though it had been an interest of mine for a time.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I used to do kuksoolwon and was really enjoying it. But, the instructor kept insisting that I yell as loudly as possible with every kick and punch. Well, I'm a teacher. My voice is extremely important. I can't exactly go around yelling all the time or I damage it and sometimes lose it. That affects my job. Also, I am just not comfortable with so much yelling. I had enough yelling in my house when I was growing up. I explained all this to him and he kept insisting that I had to yell. I ended up just not going anymore. I've never even thought of taking another martial arts class because I don't want to have to deal with the yelling requirement.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZdogs View Post

I used to do kuksoolwon and was really enjoying it. But, the instructor kept insisting that I yell as loudly as possible with every kick and punch. Well, I'm a teacher. My voice is extremely important. I can't exactly go around yelling all the time or I damage it and sometimes lose it. That affects my job. Also, I am just not comfortable with so much yelling. I had enough yelling in my house when I was growing up. I explained all this to him and he kept insisting that I had to yell. I ended up just not going anymore. I've never even thought of taking another martial arts class because I don't want to have to deal with the yelling requirement.
You'll be happy to know, then, that there are a lot that don't require that.
Judo, for example, does not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been in taekwondo since I was 6. (I'm 18). We don't have many women, recently it's up to 4 other than me. I don't find it holds me back being a women. guys love to fight girls who are willing, I've found. generally, when I try to get other girls involved, they seem intimidated and think that they are not 'tough' enough. oh, and we really don't have a lot of yelling in our classes either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
my muay thai class is about 15 women and 2 men. I am of the personal belief that all women learn some kind of self defense.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did kick boxing for a while and was probably in the best shape I've ever been fitness-wise. Then I moved away, took up wingtsun, but found it didn't suit me and wasn't what I was looking for. Probably superior to what I was doing before in terms of self defence, but really lacking in the workout department.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I did tae kwan do for a short time in grad school, but I stopped because the instructor was too strict and serious, and I was just doing it for fun and exercise. I've been doing kickboxing for a couple of years now and I love it!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I had some guy I was sparring once apologize for having to spar with me as I am a woman. I ended up kicking him in the groin during our bout by accident. Too bad for him he wasn't wearing a cup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I loved taking martial arts, but it is too expensive for me. It's not that I can't afford it so much as it means giving up something I need/want more. Plus, I'd prefer smaller classes with no children and it seems hard to come by where I live.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm clumsy. I used to go to my brother's classes (before he quit) and just draw the people doing the taekwondo. I find martial arts very interesting, I know quite a bit about it, but it's just not my strength.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.