VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VB,

I am working on my Master's thesis. I am looking for adult vegans and vegetarians from the United States to take a 20 item questionnaire. It is divided into 3 parts: Attitudes, Nutrition Knowledge, Demographics. It is anonymous and should only take 10 minutes! Every response is truly appreciated!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FPHDPVM

Thank you!

[I obtained permission from Michael prior to posting this. If a moderator/administrator would be willing to sticky this during April through June, that would be great!]

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Done! I felt that was well thought out! The only question I wasn't too sure about was if I'd sacrifice anything for the sake of being veg*n. I put neither agree, nor disagree, because with medical issues I would defer to use gel pills, or medicine that had animal products, unless I actually could have time, energy and other options to compare.

·
Registered
586 Posts
finished. i agree with silva, but also the question about vitamin D. it said "includes" so i was not sure if that meant in addition to sunlight or strictly fortified foods and supplements. i assumed the former, so i selected agree.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I liked the nutrition knowledge quiz. I hope I know enough by now to have gotten them all correct.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Done, that was the most well planned veggie survey I've seen!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

What findings do you hope to accomplish with the survey? And why is it only limited to adults?
1. Unfortunately I cannot address this in great detail without potentially influencing how people perceive and answer the questions. In general, it's all about finding patterns. Also, my background is in dietetics and I would really like to be able to use this information to help nutrition professionals improve their understanding of (and ability to empathize with) this population.

2. Any research that is done through the university must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB guidelines at my university require parental consent in almost every case. Including children and/or adolescents creates a whole series of requirements and considerations. I am a novice researcher, so I am keeping things relatively simple for the sake of my sanity!

I will be happy to share information once I close the surveys (hopefully I'll have enough input by the end of June or July). I definitely want to post/share the answer key to the nutrition questions once it is over so that people can self-assess.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEmpire View Post

Also, my background is in dietetics and I would really like to be able to use this information to help nutrition professionals improve their understanding of (and ability to empathize with) this population.
Sounds great. This is sorely needed.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I would have found interesting a "Do you care?" option to most of the questions.
Yeah, a lot of the nutrition stuff seemed kinda pointless for the average person. As long as we eat a variety of foods, does it really matter if we know what foods have the most calories per gram? Especially since most people are more interested in calories per serving, rather than by weight of the food. I know I don't really care.

--Fromper

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Done and done. I'm glad this wasn't loaded one way or another like the average survey that shows up here. I actually had to think hard about some of the questions, too.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'm done with it.

I'd like to mention that my reasons for eschewing products promoted by and produced by animal agribusiness are almost exclusively ethics oriented, but thanks to good resources from educated guys like Jack Norris and Michael Greger I've learned a lot about nutrition and especially vegan nutrition over the last few years.

I'd also ask why you felt it necessary to divide "ethics" and "animal rights" as if they were mutually exclusive things. To me, they're so strongly related as to be inseparable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts