VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know.. I must be one in a few people on here that has chosen the Vegetarian lifestyle to better her diet, and to lose some weight.

I didnt want to keep boring those individuals that are not dieting with my stories of success and great change. So, I was wondering if anyone else was up to a "support group" thread, where we can share stories of success, and also help each other in times of "slipping"?

I would be willing to keep this thread going if anyone else is interested.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I'll bet that you're not the only one to loose some weight on this board.

I could loose 10 pounds I guess, but am not willing to do something about that now.

I'll gamble on a very slow loss of weight this summer by eating more salad.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I reckon this thread is a great idea.

I need/want to lose some weight too! Plus I need something to focus on as I've just stubbed out my last ciggy!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Me, me, me!

Long-term, I have around 40 pounds to lose. What fun.

I've been vegetarian for a year, but was mostly a "junk food" veggie, which did not help me lose weight (although I haven't gained in 3-4 months). I am moving towards a more natural, organic diet, and am cutting out eggs and dairy except for special treats.

I just started exercising again...I have The Firm DVDs, and they are tough but a lot of fun. I can feel muscles I didn't even know I had!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I started on my diet, and I consume about 400 calories per meal and about 150 for a snack. It has worked quite well for me so far. about 2 pounds a week, give and take.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I think that slow weight loss is the best.

Otherwise you just gain very fast again.

One option for me would be starting to use smaller plates again.

(I now have 12 inch plates)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea, I noticed that instad of my dinner plates, I use a smaller sandwich plate size. that has helped a lot with my portioning.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've sadly fluctuated with my weight alot recently after having had a steady drop. However I seem to be on track again.

I think my major downfall has got to be bread. I am totally addicted to the stuff, so I'm working on cutting down on that.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I bet that can be tough. I am glad I am not a huge eater of bread. It is awsome, I love bread maker home made bread, and sour dough.. especially from San Francisco Calif. That is my one bread weakness.

Schoska if you ever need anyone to chat with about your downfall, and falling again.. please let me know.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone that needs to chat.. for support.. please feel free to add me to your PM list, and I can do the same with you. Just let me know.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hehe thanks! I'm doing alright-ish.

I've just got so many things to focus on at present that I know I am going to slip up here , there, and everywhere!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bread is a tough one. I found that cutting out sandwiches, etc. entirely helped. I have a loaf of sprouted whole wheat bread in the freezer, since I use maybe 1-2 slices a week.

I also have a thing for sweets. I get Manna Bread at the HFS occasionally and it satisfies cravings for cake and cookies very well (the fruit or date and nut varieties particularly). I still have one cookie a day, with my lunch - a modified version of a Vegweb vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. I also started to experiment with fruit sorbets, and raspberry or strawberry sorbets are very refreshing - perfect for sugar cravings in the summer.

I don't eat any refined flour or sugar, in an attempt to alleviate my sweet tooth.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fruit is awsome right now.. most of the fruits are sweet, so I often have them plain, or in a smoothie, and that helps my sweet tooth.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm a total carb addict....my fav vege is potatoes...I love pasta, rice. bread etc. Don't have a sweet tooth at all, but if I crave something it's chips!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't understand why everyone talks about cutting back carbs. It isn't carbs that are bad for us. It's refined carbs. White pasta, white bread, white rice. And even those are fine in small quanities.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Right on Krista!!! Complex carbs are what gives us energy to do all those work-outs. Cut out the refined carbs and replace them with the whole grains (complex). Krista likes to refer to white bread products as "Satan" bread LOL, and there's lots to be said on that subject.

I am a woman with a mature figure who would like to be thin, but alas that will probably never happen. So I'm just trying to be pudgy. My biggest problem is the spare tire and rounded Renaissanse belly, which makes buying clothes frustrating at times. I have definitly been born in the wrong century. I would certainly like to be part of this thread. I don't particularly want to cut out any of my favorite foods, but potato chips have got to go. I've been pretty good since Christmas but I've had a few...well shall we say...binges with the lovely potato chip. I have conquered the pop (soda) habit and haven't indulged in more than about 2 cups worth since Christmas. It is usually ginger ale and never cola products. I just love the taste of food and I will eat even when full if it tastes good. I'm a good cook so everything tastes good!!! (Shameless self-praise) For instance, tonight is my husbands birthday and I'm about to go in the kitchen and make him a lovely supper with dessert of which I will have plenty. Now that I've joined this group I will exercise some self-control and have only 1 piece of dessert. Will check back later.

Isabella

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i live on pasta. unfortunately it's ususally white pasta. i just bought some veggie pasta last night to go with my first attempt at veggie spaghetti sauce. I got some boca crumbles and some boca meatballs to go in it to replace the animal ones i used to use. have no idea how it's going to come out but we'll see. i've not been a very good eater today. had waaay too many honey mustard onion pretzel pieces and some french fries instead of the amys veggie loaf dinner i planned. forgot my vitamins too (putting on helmet to avoid krista's smack
) but tomorrow is another day....finally i get that thru my thick head: one bad day does NOT equal an entire diet blown to s**t. only took major surgery to get that concept (my granma always said you could always tell an irishman....you just can't tell'em much
)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you cant beat yourself up over one bad eating day. You have to splurg every once in a while. Like yesterday, I went and had coffee with my father. We did our monthly get together, where we go have coffee. I am not giving that up, I enjoy the time we spend while we can.. ya know. I was thinking though.... boy I bet this has a lot of calories... but then I thought.. heck, I have been doing so well, one day wont kill.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm working on losing weight
Since March of this year, I have lost 30lbs. Without "dieting" though. I suppose I oculd make it come off faster if I really dieted, but I am working on changing my lifestyle for long term health and the weight is coming off with it. I figure, once I hit my desired weight, I can make changes to maintain that weight. I have 40 lbs (yes, you read that right) to go to hit my ideal weight, so you can see how much work I had/have to do!

I've been walking 3+ miles per day, and 3 days a week, I up that to 6.

Heck, I eat a ton of carbs! Nothing that isn't whole grain though. I bake my own bread and use only whole grains for that, plus brown rice and whole grain pasta. You know, good whole grain pasta is made from unrefined flour that makes a creamy yellow pasta, not that earnest, brown, whole red wheat stuff, but whole durum wheat. There is a magnificent quinoa pasta available too. Very yummy.

Tip on the sweets. If you use real maple syrup, it is a very intense flavor that causes you to limit the amount you use. I use a measured tsp on my hot cereal in the am and it gets nicely sweet without too many calories or that blood sugar surge that makes me feel so yucky. I've been using it to sweeten my own milk substitutes too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.