VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank everyone for the positive feedback on the thread. I would like to have people share recipes, and or ideas for other that read this thread.

I like being helped, and helping others with this issue, so lets keep it going.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I've never been much of a joiner, but I figure I'll throw myself into the fray here. I've struggled with my weight for years, and I've been up and down, but mostly up and up and up. I'm not going to say what I weigh, since I learned a long time ago that people make automatic judgements about you based on that number. Let's just say I've got a LONG way to go to reach my long term goals.

My long term goals are as follows:

1. To have nicely toned arms and no back fat, so I can wear that strapless, corset-top maid of honor dress that my sister has in mind for her wedding next summer.

2. To be able to run, or at least walk quickly, to the top of the Astoria Column without stopping to suck wind and clutch my chest.

3. To get my BMI into the Normal range for my height (I'm shooting for around 135, but time will tell).

Short term goals:

1. MOVE every day. I have a serious mental block when it comes to the word exercise, so for now I'm not exercising, I'm moving. Moving means walking to the grocery store instead of driving, walking to the mailbox instead of stopping on my way home, walking to the movie theater or video store, etc. It also means especially vigourous movement for at least 30 minutes per day.

2. Avoid empty calorie snacking. I know myself well enough to know that if I try to cut out all junk for good I'll just end up binging. I'm going to limit myself to one junky thing per week and I'm going to make sure that I get something that comes in single serving form (a girl who can down half a pack of Newman-O's in a sitting can not be trusted).

3. Focus on whole foods. Summer is almost here and the farmer's market is getting into full swing which means lots of fresh inexpensive produce. I'm back to my summer diet of lots of salads and lots of stir-fry dishes. I'm going to center my meals around one part whole grains and/or beans and two parts veggies (and some fruit, but not too much as it spikes my blood sugar) at each meal. I'm also going to allow myself a couple meals a week to eat whatever the hell I want, vegan of course.

So, there you have it. Sorry this post turned into a novelette, I kind of got on a roll there and I didn't want to stop.
I'll be checking in and shaking my pom-poms and/or polishing my butt-kicking boots, as needed.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Jess..

Yes this is a favorite time of year for me Veggie/Fruit wise. I live near farms, so I am hitting the farmer's markets very very soon.

If you are interested, I am doing and www.ediets.com plan, and I would be fine sharing some of the recipies. My meals average around 400 calories each.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I'm not big on following "diet" plans. I learned long ago that if I try to restrict calories I just get hungry and bitchy.
I'm doing what I call modified McDougall. Focus on whole foods, limit oil and calorie dense foods like avacado and nuts, and keep and eye on portion control. McDougall says "eat all you want", but with my history of binge eating, I'm not totally comfortable with that yet.

I'm a big girl, so I need way more than 1200 calories a day just to keep my body out of starvation mode. If I plug my daily food into www.fitday.com, it generally comes out between 2000 and 2500. I'm sure I'll have to modify that as I drop weight, but I'm losing just fine for now.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. great.. let me know if you want some meal ideas. They have had some great recipies on there.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Woohoo! Hello!

Well, short term goals.

1. Do not eat entire contents of fridge(including mouldy pumpkin) this evening. - This I feel confident of achieving.

2. Go for a power walk/jog type thing tomorrow morning. - The walk I can do, the jogging I'm worried about. I don't know how to pace myself , or how long to carry on for.

3. Stop stressing so much. I have NEVER been skinny. Not even when I was 5 and ate so little my parents kept taking me to the docs. Therefore I am not MEANT to be a size 8, or weigh 43 kgs.

mid term goal:

Just do more MOVING! Oh, and eat fruit other than apples and bananas.

Long term goals:

1.Get into wrongly labelled skirt that I was too embarrased to take back.

2. Lose 5 or 6 kgs by July the 30th. Can this be done people?

3. Eventually get down to a healthy BMI without losing the ability to fill my corset in the right places

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi all! I would love to join this support group.I was recently on medication that made me gain 10 lbs in a very short time.I am now off of it but I can't seem to lose the weight.I also gained 10 lbs in the past 6 months from plain old over eating.So here are my goals...

Short Term: walk the neighborhood with my son daily

stop drinking

eat 1 dessert each day(I usually eat many)

Long Term: lose 22 lbs

be vegan(my dessert habit is preventing me

from doing it)

I too want to avoid dieting because for me the more I focus on it,the more weight I seem to gain.I think small,permanent changes are what will work for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Everyone seems to have listed some great short-term goals- not too lofty, but still challenging. Good luck has nothing to do with it, so instead I hope you find the inner strength to accomplish what you've set out to do.

My short term goals are to drink lots of water, get plenty of vitamin c and have a big bowl of no-chicken noodle soup sometime today. (I'm not feeling well.)

My long term goals are to lose enough weight to be healthy, eat a well-balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies, and to look good enough in a bikini to be in next year's swimsuit issue. (J/K about the last one.)

I checked out E-diets not too long ago but it's not affordable right now. I'm very interested to hear how this goes for you, and what the meal plans end up being like. Are you doing the lacto-ovo diet or the vegan one, MuzicFan, or something else entirely?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I joined ediets today after reading here that they have options for me. Thanks Muzicfan! I hope this works...need to eat more protein, less sugar and carbs, and eat more well balanced meals. My goal is to loose 2 lbs a week until I've lost about 70. I need to get my BMI down to about 18 . It's 35 know ..uggh!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Why a BMI of 18? 18-25 is considered healthy.

And hun, we need 55% of our diet as carbs. Just choose healthy carbs - fruits, vegetables, whole grains.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm a good one for this thread. I still look pretty good, but I've gained 30 pounds over the last four years and really need to lose it. I've got a smaller frame and it's just not comfortable on me. I've had several huge stressfull events in my life and haven't taken care of myself as well as I should, but now my life has calmed down a lot and I'm ready for change!

Anyway, here are my daily goals. I just got back from my honeymoon yesterday and have a lot to take care of today, so tomorrow will be my starting day. My overall goal is to be as fit and healthy as I can be. I turn 30 next March, so I'd like to be in the best shape I've ever been by then, which I definitely think is doable.

1. Keep a diet and exercise journal, where I record all my daily activity and what I eat to become more aware of what I'm doing and to stay on track (this works very well for me)

2. Stick to a regular exercise routine that involves cardio, strength and stretching. Right now, I'm aiming for 6 cardio sessions and 3 strength sessions a week, with each session being a half hour or so. I stretch every day for 10 minutes and walk my dog for a half hour daily, too.

3. Eat a well-balanced diet. I tend to go heavy on the carbs, and although they're usually whole grain, they tend to crowd out fruits and veggies. I'm going to aim for a serving of produce at every meal and snack.

4. Only eat when truly hungry. Which means, pay attention to *why* I'm eating to make sure I'm not eating emotionally.

5. Start cooking more. Definitely much healthier than eating out and frozen meals!

I think that's about it. I'll be posting my daily food intake and exercise in the "what did you eat today" and hampster threads. That should also help to keep me focused!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

I checked out E-diets not too long ago but it's not affordable right now. I'm very interested to hear how this goes for you, and what the meal plans end up being like. Are you doing the lacto-ovo diet or the vegan one, MuzicFan, or something else entirely? [/B]

Basically, it has me on a 400 caloire meal plan with a 150 cal snack. I would be willing to share some recipies if you want. They are fairly simple, and most are yummy so far.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RuthieB please let me know how it goes for you. I am enjoying the Vegetarian diet, which one did you sign up for.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone for sharing.. it has helped me stay focused on my own little goals. You are a great support group

*hugz*

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi everyone,

Here's my short term goal for today until I go to be in a few hours: Stay away from cookies!!!!! I actually don't have any in the house, but that's only a minor problem if I decide to make some. I feel hungry right now. I must not eat cookies...I must not eat cookies. Maybe a banana.

Isabella

Longing to see the skinny person deep within the entrails of my body....sigh.....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok all.. you may bash me.. haha...

I went to have a soy Mocha on the way to work tonight. I just had to have a lil choc. and coffee. But I must admit, I found it severely sweet. Guess cause I have been drinking mostly water, and a diet soda once in a while.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Besides my mocha.... I had a smoothie for breakfast, Lunch consisted of a salad, and dinner will be the rest of my veggie enchilada casserole I made the other day, which by the way was the best if anyone wants to try it, let me know.

I will be also having a small salad with dinner, and a plum for a snack.

·
Registered
674 Posts
So,last night I drank a bottle of wine and 3 hard lemonades.I am pretty mad at myself.I probably consumed a days worth of calories.Oh well.Today I'm going to drink a ton of water and have light meals.I feel remarkably well considering so I'll probably go to the gym too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts