VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

To quickly summerise, I've been vegan most of my life but have had big substance abuse issues. Part of my recovery programme in the last year was to eat meat as I followed the programme perfectly. In the past week I've reverted back to my vegan diet. I'm not taking any supplements but I know I should be.

I have a well-woman one a day supplement to take, along with flax-seed, but as a side note - is it possible to overdose on B-vitamins? I have a separate supplement for that and I'm scared to take it in case I take too much.

Any vegan addicts in recovery that want to connect would be amazing. I'm so glad to be here!

·
Don't Eat Animals.
1,291 Posts
I am on my 8th or 9th vegan book that says you don't need supplements.

My Doctor told me this years ago, & I was puzzled. If you eat a whole foods vegan diet, there is no need for supplements. Get a blood test....mine was outstanding. Eat a vegan diet & you'll be fine. :)

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I am on my 8th or 9th vegan book that says you don't need supplements.

My Doctor told me this years ago, & I was puzzled. If you eat a whole foods vegan diet, there is no need for supplements. Get a blood test....mine was outstanding. Eat a vegan diet & you'll be fine. :)
You don't get B12 on a whole foods plant based diet!
Not from spirulena, kombucha, or other things people have pointed to.
I wouldn't consider eating feces laced soil a safe alternative, nor vegan.

If you test fine for B12 today that means you HAD been getting good amounts. It stays in your system for years, so if you've been eating whole food, plant based for even three years it does not show todays reality. Kinda like star light.

B safe. Supplement B12 in fortified foods, or sublingual. It's vegan.
D is another to get tested for, that will show in todays intake. Sunlight does not cover everyones needs, and D isn't found in vegan foods other than light exposed mushrooms and lichen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am having my first "vegan" blood test within the next month and I am interested to see the results. When I was "SAD" (Standard American Diet), I had a Vitamin D deficiency which was not surprising. I take 2400 IU of Vitamin D a day. My tests will determine whether I will continue though I may supplement during the winter months just to be a the safe side. I also take a sublingual B12 supp daily because of what you stated the great chance of being B12 deficient on a plant-based diet. I use the Deva line of supplements. http://www.devanutrition.com/

www.danbukowski.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts