VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good sunblock that can be bought at a regular place, such as Wal Mart or someplace like Wild Oats? I am very fair and burn very easily, so I am in need of a good strong sun block (preferably one that is somewhat waterproof). I don't want to have to stay covered up or constantly sit in the shade all summer. I know there are good places to order from on the internet, but I won't allow myself to use my credit card

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ombrelle SPF 60 by L'Oreal

You can buy it in almost any store (at least here in Alberta).

I'm ultra white w/ cute freckles. Living as far north as I do, I need SPF 60. I still burn with it some days, but that's the delelted northern ozone's fault.

It costs around $13CDN.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like "Aubrey Organics Titania Sunblock" UVA/UVB, SPF 25. I use it before running too, it's okay for face as well as body, and it doesn't run into my eyes. Also, for everyday moisturizer, I like "Aubrey Organics Blue Green Algae Moisturizer" SPF 15 for face.

Both available at Wild Oats. Both are vegan and the "Titania" can be worn while swimming, but like most advise, it should be reapplied after swimming.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Banana Boat is all I ever use. It's great and you can get it at Wal-Mart. I've never even thought about if it was vegan though.... You should check it out anyway.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I use No-Ad SPF 45. It's cheap, it protects my "so pale it's almost translucent" skin, and they don't animal test. I started using it on the recomendation of a friend (almost as fair-skinned as me) who was a lifeguard at an outdoor pool. It also absorbs well, so I don't feel greased up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No-Ad worked for me until I moved to Edmonton. The first sunny day here, I used my SPF-45 and burned to a crisp. Now, I need 60+. SPF 70 works the best, but it's hard to get without a prescription and it's expensive.

I have a cute story to tell about my half-sister. She's the darkest white person I've ever seen. Most people think she's middle eastern. She's never ever worn sun screen in her life and has never burned. She came out here to visit and I told her to put sunscreen on. She laughed at me. After 1 hour in the sun, she came in burned. She wouldn't stop cursing about the "god forsaken place" she was visiting.
This is the armpit of Canada.

If you live in a more southern part of the world, the No-Ad would be probably enough.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the great info!!! I hate getting burned....It is so miserable! Most people just don't understand how easy it is for fair skinned folks to burn and how quickly it happens. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "if you just let yourself burn once you will be able to tan after that". Well....I burn and then I burn and then I burn.....no thanks

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, what is with people thinking a tan is healthy? People, this ain't the 80s anymore. Tans are bad!

People made fun of me for years because I wouldn't sun bathe and I'm "near white" at the end of the summer (as opposed to "way white" the rest of the year). They're all in their late 20s and starting to look like used leather, whereas I still have acne, freckles and supple skin. Muhahahhahaha

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Oh yeah, I'd rather have pale skin (or tan from a bottle) now and be wrinkle free later on. I just don't tan if I go out in the sun. I have two shades, pale and red.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
me too. pale, pale, pale. I hate when people tell me to go get a tan, i'm not sure if they understand how stupid it is.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
yep tans are gross. both sea & ski, and banana boat are vegan and sold everywhere. they are paba free as well wh/ is better for your skin. i use spf 50. they say after fifteen the numbers do not matter as far as meaning more protection but that's bunk.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Do you think its necessary to wear sunblock and beneficial? I feel like satan's little helper here, but I never wear sunblock and I love to be tan...I burn a little....my issue with sunscreen is that I break out easily and get oily, and its SOOOO GROSS. So, what is a brand of sunblock that is very, very "un-oily"

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Yep. People tell me all the time to get a tan. Some of the kids in my class on Friday ask me why I don't go lay out in the sun. That comment really pissed me off. People tease me about that all the time, but now I have 5th graders doing that?

What I tell people is that I am so white that when I go into the sun (even with sunblock) I burn. It peels off. I am white again. Why put myself through that when the risk of skin cancer is there? I am not ashamed to tell people that I use spf 50 (I like banana boat too) Its so annoying hearing that, you get burnt once, and then you will be fine after that.

Don't these people think we know our bodies by now?

Okay sorry, a bit of a rant. I guess I am still pissed off about that comment on Friday from my 5th grader.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't feel bad about getting ticked off about the comments. I too, get mad. My favorite stupid comment from someone was "You have dark hair, you shouldn't be that fair." DUH!!!! If I could get all of my freckles to join together I would have a wonderful tan

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
OK, ok, ok....I'll get some sunblock.

I just wanted to say that I think people who are translucently white are actually quite gorgeous, because generally it suits their hair coloring...I'm not really one of those people, although I think if I never tanned I'd be fairly pale.

AND I HAVE A CONFESSION: I use tanning beds! You guys, how bad is that? I don't wanna look like an old leather pitching mit when I am 35, but I don't like to be pale cuz I've always heard tan fat looks better than pale fat...and I got plenty of fat...hehe.

ok, I'm rambling.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
rainbowmoon: instead of the tanning bed, consider self-tanner. The new formulas are MUCH better than the old ones. Alba Botanicals makes a really nice self-tanner. For product recomendations and step-by-step instructions for beginners go to sunless.com.

Also, take that money you're spending on tanning and see if you can find a spa nearby that does "bronzing". They'll exfoliate the heck out of you, then apply self-tanner. All the nice glow without the worry that you missed a spot.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
See, the problem is that I work at a health club, so my tanning is free!!! Thats why its so tempting. Nonetheless, in the summer (when I work more and have more $$$) I might JUST get some bronzing done. I mean, who can't use a hardcore scrub down tan session?!

I swear I'm going to lick my tanning obsession/addiction...before I turn into a prematurely aged blob of damaged collagen.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
yeah they are beautiful. look at nicole kidman. that's true and the only thing good about having a tan. it does make one look thinner.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's weird, I live in Southern California and everyone here is either a complete tanning monkey or a translucent-vampiric-pale-face (I fall into the latter category). There's simply no in between. And oddly it seems that the most hardcore tanners are the older folks who already look like old saddles. You'd think that they'd give it up already!

If you don't want a greasy face try Alba sunblock for faces SPF 30 (it's vegan). I purchased mine at Wild Oats for 8$ U.S. and it works great. It's very thick and lasts a long time without gunking up your pores or feeling heavy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts