VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They truly are.

They take any dish to catastrophic levels. I like making pita pizzas with hummus, mushrooms, spinach, and sun dried tomatoes. And if there are no SDT's, then just scrap the whole thing.

What do you eat yours with?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

One of my favorite pizzas has sundried tomatoes, calamata olives and artichoke hearts and roasted garlic. Definitely not diet food but damn is it tasty!
Sounds good. One of my favorite restaurants makes a pasta dish with all of those things plus pine nuts and olive oil.

·
Banned
2,550 Posts
my mom and I make a pasta that consists of angel hair, chopped sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, sauteed garlic, kalamata olives, fresh basil, chopped cherry tomatoes (cooked with the garlic) and sometimes cooked spinach. oh. my. god. its the best food in the WORLD.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a mishap with sun dried tomatoes. I bought a jar of oil packed ones and after I opened it I refrigerated it (like it said). But when I took them out of the fridge a few days later..... the olive oil had turned solid. What gives? Do they need to be refrigerated? Olive oil shouldn't be refrigerated I thought. hmph.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Pillows View Post

I had a mishap with sun dried tomatoes. I bought a jar of oil packed ones and after I opened it I refrigerated it (like it said). But when I took them out of the fridge a few days later..... the olive oil had turned solid. What gives? Do they need to be refrigerated? Olive oil shouldn't be refrigerated I thought. hmph.
It's important to keep the oil on top. Either that or they just went bad, which usually happens in less than two weeks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

One of my favorite pizzas has sundried tomatoes, calamata olives and artichoke hearts and roasted garlic. Definitely not diet food but damn is it tasty!
This is my fav pizza, too. Except mine has 'shrooms.
(And a *good* green olive works so nice, too.)

Uh oh... now i need to make a pizza! (It's been a while.)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by orapunzel View Post

Olive oil will turn to a solid when refrigerated. There's nothing wrong with it. Just run the bottle under some warm water to turn the olive solid back to a pourable oil.
How long does it take to turn solid? I usually eat them quick so this has never happened to me. Do you pour warm water into the bottle, or on the outside?

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesh View Post

I want to come to porvida's house and eat. Does anyone know how to make sun dried tomatoes, I was thinking about that the other day.
When my mom had a million tomatoes in her garden, and they were starting to rot before being eaten, I'd take the really ripe ones, slice them and dehydrate them. I have a bag full of them in my fridge.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Run the water on the outside of the bottle.

I forget at what temperature olive begins to turn to a solid. This happens faster with EVOO. So, the initial presses yield an oil more likely to turn to a solid in cool temps. I only use EVOO and I find that during the winter when my house is a bit cooler all day long that my oil will begin to cloud as it "threatens" to turn solid-ish.

In the refrig, I've had my EVOO start turning within an hour or two.

Whenever I buy sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil... and if they MAKE it to the refrig (sometimes I can't help myself and eat them all or use them all in a recipe before I would need to refrigerate them), then the oil ALWAYS turns to a solid.

So... either the brand you're using uses a mix of oils or uses a latter press that is less likely to solidify... or your refrigerator isn't as cool as it should be... or you're storing it on the top shelf and the refrig gets opened too often to keep that area properly cooled.

HTH!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.