VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! As I mentioned in the swimming thread, I'm a lifeguard, but I'm not sure how much additional exercise I need to be doing. Background: Shamefully, I only walk about an hour a day during the school year and slack off with exercise, so I'm not a regular exerciser aside from occasional swim session on the weekend.

Now: I work about 5-6hrs a day, 4-5 days a week at my pool. I have to walk for 15-20 min every hour (either outside the pool or in 1ft deep water) and I have to climb up and down constantly (at each stand, plus up 1.5 flights to the break area). So that plus the direct sunlight makes me EXHAUSTED by the time I get home---well, not really because I snack like crazy throughout the day
but I don't feel like exercising after working.

So I was thinking of picking up some weight training by tagging along with a friend to her gym and maybe also starting a beginner running program to get me jogging, but I'm clueless as to how much "real" exercise I need in addition to the light exercise I get from my job. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
The government is really conservative so you probably need more than what the USDA says, but here are the guidelines:
Quote:
How much aerobic activity do I need each week?
If you choose moderate activities, do at least 2 hours and 30 minutes a week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, and raking leaves.
If you choose vigorous activities, do at least 1 hour and 15 minutes a week. Vigorous activity includes things like jogging, jumping rope, swimming laps, or riding a bike on hills.
Do moderate or vigorous aerobic activity for at least 10 minutes at a time.

How much muscle-strengthening activity do I need each week?
Muscle-strengthening activities include push-ups, sit-ups, and lifting weights. Do muscle-strengthening activities at least 2 days a week. Be sure to strengthen all major muscle groups including the legs, hips, back, chest, stomach, shoulders, and arms.
http://www.healthfinder.gov/preventi...cContentID=256
http://www.healthfinder.gov/preventi...cContentID=557

Elsewhere I have read that humans are healthiest with at least 50 minutes of moderate-vigorous aerobic activity 5 days a week. I think that's more accurate. Personally, I feel best when I workout 5 days a week. That said, my average is probably only 3 days a week. (And I have the pudge belly to prove it.)

For me, vigorous exercise is more important. That's where I see the changes to my lungs. I have asthma. If I walk an hour everyday at a moderate pace, that's fine to tone my legs but it does nothing for my lungs. But if I do kickboxing/swimming/some sort of cardio 3-5 days a week then after a few weeks I can lower the dose of my medicines and breathe just fine. I also notice that my blood pressure drops as does my resting pulse and my overall health improves.

For me, it's best when I workout in the AM. Right now I'm doing things at 5:30 or 6 each morning. It's hard to get up and out of bed, but it's really great to get the day started on the right foot and to get the workout over and done with. Since the sun gets you so tired then it might make the most sense to try to exercise before work. Ugh, direct sunlight is just terrible, huh? It wears me out without doing anything! Can you wear a big hat and use an umbrella?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts