VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for exercise suggestions. I have NEVER been at all athletic but usually swim 3 times a week. However, I just moved and the nearest pool is very far away, so I won't be able to swim more than, say, once a week.

I'm interested in yoga but have no clue how to start, and I really don't want to go to classes :/

·
Registered
922 Posts
Have you ever thought of buying a trampoline ?

Excellent if you want to excercise at home. Well, as long as you don't live in a flat I suppose.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
yoga is really great!

there are many beginning yoga videos for free online (youtube has a lot).
there are yoga and other fitness videos on netflix.
check your tv guide for channels that have yoga classes (public broadcasting usually has one or two)
don't be afraid of classes, they are beneficial to learn how not to get injured and when someone else is conducting you end up pushing yourself harder than when practicing alone.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The most important thing is to get into the habit. Don't let the fact that you're a beginner in yoga (or any other physical activity you take an interest in) stop you from doing it. If you go to a website, look at a video, etc., and it all looks fairly daunting, don't worry about it. Pick one thing that you think you might be able to do and work on it until it becomes instinctive. Then incorporate it into a routine and pick something else to learn. Do this over and over and over, and before you know it everything won't seem so foreign to you anymore. And don't push yourself to unreasonable limits (i.e. expecting to go right into some crazy stretch right from the beginning), but don't let yourself get too comfortable in a safety zone either. Pushing yourself is how you improve your body by forcing it to adapt. Don't hurt yourself, but keep your workouts challenging within the context of your current capabilities.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a firm believer in finding something that keeps you entertained and interested - if you liked swimming before, you'll probably enjoy other endurance/cardiovascular sports such as running, cycling, etc. (cycling is a great alternative to running if you have bad knees or you don't have great running weather.

Make sure to set goals and push yourself, you can always be better and every day is another chance to prove it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.