VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to veganism - I've only been at it for a week now, after six years of being a "lazy" vegetarian. My problem is that I used to love the Morning Star Farms fake meat stuff, but so far I found only one of them to be vegan - and I didn't like how that one tasted at all! So I would appreciate any suggestions on what your favorite brands of vegan burgers and any other meat substitutes are. Thank you!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tofurky makes some good sausage-like thingies that come in packages of four. That and Yves salami slices are all I use, the salami isn't all that great but it makes an easy sandwich with some vegenaise and some soy cheese.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My favorite vegan burgers aren't fake meat, but they ARE delicious--Dr. Praegger's California burgers...delicious (you can see the veggies!) and really healthy!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Lightlife makes some tasty vegan mock-meats. They're carried at a lot of grocery stores, but not all of their products are vegan, so just read the lable

I also have a recipie for lentle burgers floating around somewhere if you're interested.

·
Registered
813 Posts
cryptoveggie said:
Lightlife makes some tasty vegan mock-meats. They're carried at a lot of grocery stores, but not all of their products are vegan, so just read the lable

I LOVE Lightlife, everything they make is fantabulous!!
Can't get enought of all their products

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't have a favorite veggie burger brand. I usually only eat them at restaurants if there is nothing else available for me.

I love Smart Bacon by Litelife but I just found out that Litelife is owned by Conagra which is a big meat distributor. Dang it! So, I gotta find a good one to switch too. (same thing with Silk being owned by Deans. ..I just love silk. grrr)

Other than that I like the St. Yves Veggie dogs. Field Roast, if you can get your hands on some, makes lots of different kinds of fake meats - in all sorts of flavors. http://www.fieldroast.com/

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
The tofurky lunch meats are pretty good. Trader Joe's makes a great Vegan sausage patty. They don't nuke as well as the Morningstar Farms patties, but in the toaster oven they're wonderful.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

I also have a recipie for lentle burgers floating around somewhere if you're interested.
Yes, please! If you can find and post your recipe, that would be great. I would love to learn how to make home-made vegan burgers and I'm sure other people would appreciate it too.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
How does one go about making veggie burgers at home? Is a food processor all you need? (can't believe I still don't own one)
i don't have a food processor either (i'd be too lazy to take it out of the cupboard to use it, and wash it all out when i was done with it, even if i did have one, lol) and i do ok without it- i don't make veggieburgers all the time, but i do make them on occasion and its hassle free, all bit it a bit messy (but that might be due to me, as aposed to the recipes!).

tips for making veggieburgers without a food processor:

if you're using tvp/soymince/breadcrumbs/vegan stuffing mix/pre-ground nuts/cooked or canned lentils/beans/mashed potato/firm tofu or a combination of the above as a base, that can just be smooshed with a potato masher or fork, if needs be, then mixed up in a big bowl....

you can add things like a little strong stock, soy sauce, marmite mixed with hot water, tomato paste, etc for flavour, mixed in a cup/measuring jug/empty bean can then pour it in.....

if you want veggies in them, lots of veggies are already nice and small (peas, sweetcorn, etc) others you can grate with a cheesegrater (carrots, zuccinni, parnsips, onion etc) or chop up into dice (mushrooms, peppers, celery, tomatoes) and either add them after they've been sweated in a pan, or throw them in raw for more crunch...

herbs, spices, and seasonings can be either pre dried and chopped, or ground with a pestle and mortar (wiggling the end of a rolling pin around in a big mug'll do this if you don't have a pestle and mortar) and then added to the mix...

seeds and nuts can be put in a ziplock or paper bag and then bashed with a rolling pin if they're too big...

if its too wet to mould into burgers, and looks like soup, add something dry (packet stuffing/oats/breadcrumbs/dry instant mashed potato flakes etc) to soak up some liquid, if its too dry and looks like granola, add a little more stock (wow, i cook using technical techniques, lol)...

it can all be squished into patties by hand (if you wanted, you could use proper press moulds or cookie rings to get the shapes and sizes standardised, but thats too technical for me, i'm a happy squisher!) ...

to coat: you can make your own breadcrumbs by grating regular stale bread/rolls/(or use pitta bread/flatbread or cornbread even- whatever is about thats bready, lol!) with a cheesegrater, to bread your burgers, or just roll them in seasoned flour/ground porridge oats etc....

once you've got your stuff together, you can fry it, grill it, bake it, barbeque it, etc.... (and freeze some for another day!)

so yeah, you don't really need a food processor

i need to shut up now as i'm getting hungry, lol.

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I love Smart Bacon by Litelife but I just found out that Litelife is owned by Conagra which is a big meat distributor. Dang it! So, I gotta find a good one to switch too. (same thing with Silk being owned by Deans. ..I just love silk. grrr)
bogus! I like smart dogs and smart sausage... now...shessh...

anyhow for evelinadatta i also like boca's chick'n nuggets and chick'n patties original as well as their veggieburger vegan original.

i really liked our tofukey we had over thanksgiving but the links i got (tomato basil) just didn't do it for me...

my best 'lazy mama' trick is to make really big portions (like the massive pot of creamy leek and potato soup i made tonight) and to keep spicing it up in different ways over the next few days (adding sauteed 'shrooms to it or served with a crisp salad)...

organic, inexpensive, delicious and simple. my favorite way to eat!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We like Linda McCartney sun dried tomato and herb sauasages. they don't taste meaty--more like hush puppies.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you like, you can use tofu too. I like to slice some silken tofu thinly, dip in flour and shake. Then I sautee it in some butter with spices and stick that on a sandwich with a slice of roasted squash or eggplant. Then I stick grilled onion and garlic on it and some yellow mustard.

I use Tofu alot. Make it thicker and mash it with spices, make a loaf with veggies and nuts. You can eat the loaf on bread cold or hot with some ketchup. *drools*

Well, I don't know if thats too much to do or not. VegWeb probably has some awesome recipes to make fake meat things.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I enjoy the Boca Chickin Patties (although you have to be careful they have one that is vegan and one that isn't). and Boca Burgers. Gardenburgers are also good and they have a couple of vegan options.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Some of Amy's frozen dinners are vegan. If one of their products is vegan it will say so at the beginning of the ingredients list. Their Texas burger has a slight BBQ flavor to it. I keep some in the freezer for those days when I don't have time to cook.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieShul View Post

My favorite vegan burgers aren't fake meat, but they ARE delicious--Dr. Praegger's California burgers...delicious (you can see the veggies!) and really healthy!
Ooh! I looove Dr. Praegger's California Burgers! They are the best veggie burgers I've ever tried, hands down. Unfortunately, they are darn near impossible to find around here. Our Whole Foods carried them for awhile but no longer. :-(

My husband loves the Quorn hot dogs and swears they're not scary like tofu hot dogs *can* be, but I'm pretty sure they're not vegan. Other than that?... Health is Wealth makes fake buffalo chicken that is sooooo yummy.

11,550 Posts
Quote:
I like these: http://www.solcuisine.com/products/s...bean_burg.html but I think it's one product we have in Canada that americans can't get!
i like these too! and might i say 'yey!' for wheat free, yeast free, gluten free, sugar free vegan burgers! its like some kinda veggieburger miracle!

i use these to make 'jen friendly' cornshell taco filling mince stuff- i microwave one till its soft but not chewy, then crumble it, and mix it into a pan with some red kidney beans, fry it a bit, then throw some tomato passata in... its goooooood!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts