VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding it overwhelming figuring out what to eat. Is it best to just cut out all processed food and do whole foods or is it easier starting with packaged meals. I'm finding it difficult to read all the labels trying to see if there is any animal products in there. What is the easiest things to eat starting out? Any suggestions for a quick and
simple plan? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Welcome to VB! Packaged meals are convenient, but they're expensive and many of them aren't healthy. You may want to start with whole foods and use some packaged meals now and then if it helps you stick with it. Reading labels when you're first starting out takes a lot of time. When I went vegan I went to an all night grocery store very early in the morning so I could look at everything and read all of the labels without worrying about being trampled by a crowd.

Here's a helpful link http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...flesh-products

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Are you excluding eggs and dairy products? That certainly makes things harder!
Always have things you like. and are easy to prepare available-
Fat free refried beans with chopped peppers onions and stuff- fajitas or nachos
Nut butters
hummus
veg chilis
cans of beans
Good frozen stir fry vegetables are quick and easy with rice or pasta (most dry pastas are just semolina flour and water-some have egg)
It gets easier (and tastier) as you go along!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212abc View Post

I'm finding it difficult to read all the labels trying to see if there is any animal products in there. What is the easiest things to eat starting out?
I think it really just depends on you and your goals. There are advantages and disadvantages to any style of veg eating. Here are some simple suggestions:
- Look for a vegan label and stick to the stuff that's easy to figure out if it's vegan or not (produce, dried beans, rice, tofu, etc)
- Aim low and raise the bar as you go (for example, pretend that all bread is vegan for now, then later when you've found good protein sources etc, re-evaluate bread and either find a vegan version, make your own, or omit it entirely)
- Remember that mistakes are just part of the transition. It's totally normal so don't beat yourself up about it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

Welcome to VB! Packaged meals are convenient, but they're expensive and many of them aren't healthy. You may want to start with whole foods and use some packaged meals now and then if it helps you stick with it. Reading labels when you're first starting out takes a lot of time. When I went vegan I went to an all night grocery store very early in the morning so I could look at everything and read all of the labels without worrying about being trampled by a crowd.

Here's a helpful link http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...flesh-products
There isn't an all night shop on campus but I do like to go quite late, like 10pm, when it is nice and quiet- can relax and take my time, plus sometimes things are marked down.

I still take ages reading labels, but more for health paranoia.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tofu, vegetables, beans, grains, pastas, non-meat based soups, and salads are wonderful. Also, depending on whether you're vegan or vegetarian, some amount of cheese and eggs. I wouldn't go overkill on the mock meats but a certain amount is terrific to add in, like some veggie burgers. I recently went veggie myself and those are the things I'm eating on a regular basis!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The best I found was to start with the easy stuff (stir fry, rice dishes, pastas, soups) and work your way up from there. I've been vegan for 3.5 years now and I still haven't really worked my way up from there (been in university) because I haven't put time into learning how to legitimately cook. So you need to dedicate time to it, and just because other people like certain things and suggest them doesn't mean you'll like it also. Just find things that you enjoy and improve on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts