VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so to make this short, for awhile now Ive been staying far away from sugar(like evaporated cane juice, sucanat, raw sugar, etc.) just because I thought it was really bad. However, after thinking/researching I dont really see anything wrong with using small quantities. But I would like it if you guys could explain more about sugars. I would like to know the difference from all the sugars, like sucanat, turbinado, evap. cane juice, etc. I just want the most nutrients and the most raw form I can get it in! Any advice??

http://www.hainpurefoods.com/product...at_name=sugars

We have hain in our stores, so it's more convienient. We also have florida crystals. So is these are the best, that would be very great! : )

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Really, sugar doesn't cause problems. Bad dental hygene does. And honestly, I don't think any sugar has any redeeming values, nutritionally. But that doesn't mean that in small quantites, it is terrible.

It's all about moderation, no matter what type you choose to go with. Overdoing anything can be bad.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
Yup, for the most part, sugar is sugar*. Some sweeteners have small amounts of minerals in them, but I certainly wouldn't suggest using them for that aspect. There is the fact that many refined white sugars go through a bone char filter and are technically not vegan, though not all vegans avoid these.

I think what it comes down to is using sweeteners in limited quantities based on your own personal preference, taste, and how well it performs the task you need it to.

*There are some exceptions to what I call my "sugar is sugar" rule: something like high fructose corn syrup has a lot of fructose and your body handles this sugar differently than the sugars found in other sweetenders. I would recommend you stay away from concentrated fructose whenever possible. But again.. small amounts aren't a life and death situation

·
Registered
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekajoi View Post

Really, sugar doesn't cause problems. Bad dental hygene does. And honestly, I don't think any sugar has any redeeming values, nutritionally. But that doesn't mean that in small quantites, it is terrible.

It's all about moderation, no matter what type you choose to go with. Overdoing anything can be bad.
Agreed

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Yup, for the most part, sugar is sugar*.

*There are some exceptions to what I call my "sugar is sugar" rule: something like high fructose corn syrup has a lot of fructose and your body handles this sugar differently than the sugars found in other sweetenders. I would recommend you stay away from concentrated fructose whenever possible. But again.. small amounts aren't a life and death situation
I actually had heard that the term high fructose is kind of misleading, because the fructose levels in "high fructose" corn syrup are actually not all that high - comparable to normal table sugar. In any case, I agree with the other folks in the thread...everything in moderation - but i don't think people should feel that they need to stop eating it all together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.