VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so to make this short, for awhile now Ive been staying far away from sugar(like evaporated cane juice, sucanat, raw sugar, etc.) just because I thought it was really bad. However, after thinking/researching I dont really see anything wrong with using small quantities. But I would like it if you guys could explain more about sugars. Ive heard that sucanat is really good because it's in it's raw-ist form. Any advice??

http://www.hainpurefoods.com/product...at_name=sugars

We have hain in our stores, so it's more convienient. We also have florida crystals. So is these are the best, that would be very great! : )

·
Registered
21 Posts
i tried to go off sugar once and i went into major withdrawal...headaches and general crappiness for like 3 weeks straight.

so i decided to eat it again. and i feel better

·
Registered
787 Posts
In reasonable amounts, I see nothing wrong with eating it. Don't start sticking your tongue in the sugar bowl (a friend of mine used to do that! Yeeeesh.) or anything like that, and don't overdo it, but as long as you're not trying to make it into its own foodgroup I see nothing wrong with it. Use unrefined sweeteners wherever you have the option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey guys, you should not be eating sugar. Try date sugar instead. It comes from dates and is not bad for you as regular processed sugar is. Date sugar just comes from dates, which is a fruit. You can buy it at a local health food store or online. Also, about withdrawal from not eating sugar, that is a sign that your body is detoxing from the sugar overload! You would have started to feel better after a few more days or maybe a week of not eating sugar as your body eliminated the toxins. Believe it or not, feeling worse was actually a sign that you were becoming healthier. You should not have eaten sugar again! That's kinda like stopping smoking, and then because you feel worse for a brief time, starting to do it again.

You guys might also want to check out stevia (a form of sugar) as well...

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is a link that I found for you guys on Dr. Fuhrman's website:

August 9, 2004

I have been reading the past posts in the Ask The Doctor forum and notice how often you stress that we should eat only when hungry. I don't think I know what hunger is. My whole life I have eaten according to how much sugar is in the food. If it had sugar I ate it. If not I would go without. (no wonder I got diabetes). So now I am beginning this diet and really liking it, I am eating on schedule, 8 oclock, 12.30 and 5.30. I figure my system needs some retraining before I will start to recognize true hunger. Do you have any input about this?

We live in a society of food excess, where people have trained to overeat since their childhood. It is so deeply ingrained that most people overeat routinely. That is pretty obvious; otherwise everybody would not be overweight.

A problem arises, worse for some people than others, who soon after changing over to a very healthy diet begin to experience increasing detoxification symptoms. Instead of recognizing these symptoms of headaches, stomach cramps, lightheadedness and weakness (which some call hypoglycemia) as a detoxification phenomena that easily resolves in a few weeks, many people just assume the diet is not right for them or they need to eat heavier foods, more animal products or they just need to eat more frequently.

Understanding that these symptoms lessen with time and eventually leave is important and helpful. It is especially critical that many people lose these addictive cravings and are put back in touch with more primitive sensations of hunger so they are not suffering with uncomfortable cravings, literally forcing them to overeat or eat incorrectly.

Being able to eat only when experiencing true hunger is also very helpful for those who are eating better but still not losing weight. It is still possible to overeat on healthy food, just much more difficult.

Because eating by the clock is so ingrained, many of you will routinely eat before true hunger is experienced. It is not so bad to eat before hunger appears. I don't always eat when I am truly hungry either. Sometimes convenience, appetite and social eating come into play, but we should all recognize that the ideal amount of calories to meet our needs, without excess, is best dictated by true hunger, not by withdrawal symptoms from toxicosis or unhealthy eating and not from the social and fun aspects of eating. Read the hunger tutorial on the member site one more time and it this may help you put it into perspective.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The more raw, the better. I gave up processed sugars for three months earlier this year, it was an experiance I'll never regret. Eating processed sugar again made me feel sick for a while, and i still miss the way that I felt when I wasn't eating sugar. Your making me want to quit processed sugars again. It was hard, but it was worth it.

Soooo, maybe i'll do it again. It wasn't really just unprocessed sugars. I ate only "vegan" sugars, which ya'll understand, but for others who arn't vegan, I would explain it by saying that I ate unprocessed and organic sugar only.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

The more raw, the better...
Ha I read that as "the more, the better" and laughed myself silly.

I avoid high fructose corn syrup, and mostly use honey/maple syrup... but I'm not bothered about using white sugar.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

The more raw, the better. I gave up processed sugars for three months earlier this year, it was an experiance I'll never regret. Eating processed sugar again made me feel sick for a while, and i still miss the way that I felt when I wasn't eating sugar. Your making me want to quit processed sugars again. It was hard, but it was worth it.

Soooo, maybe i'll do it again. It wasn't really just unprocessed sugars. I ate only "vegan" sugars, which ya'll understand, but for others who arn't vegan, I would explain it by saying that I ate unprocessed and organic sugar only.
I dont really think the sugars that are mostly unprocessed are bad. They're really cheap too. Wal-Mart even has them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts