VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not a vegan, but I've read that some sugar is filtered through bone char (or something like that...)<br><br><br><br>
So, what about stuff like soda or candy bars? I generally drink diet sodas, and rarely eat sweets....but every once and awhile I enjoy a good Coke.<br><br><br><br>
Like I said, I'm not a vegan, but I am interested in if/how others view this. Do you not eat/drink stuff with sugar in it?<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Some vegans avoid it, and some don't. When you bring into the equation things like sodas, etc., I don't, but I now use unfiltered sugar at home.<br><br>
Beet sugar is also a good alternative to filtered cane sugar.<br><br><br><br>
For those vegans who don't avoid it, the line of thinking is this:<br><br>
The bone char is a by-product of the meat industry, and the animals are not being killed for the sake of creating bone char. It's a side product that would still exist whether it was used to process sugar or not. Were the bone char not available, it would eventually be replaced with some method of filtering the sugar.<br><br><br><br>
A lot of this depends on why the vegan is vegan. If you're looking for personal purity (which I am not), then bone-processed sugar should never be consumed. If you're trying to reduce demand for animal products, bone-processed sugar should not be your first concern.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have been going off of sugar. I have it about once a week. However, that does not count the sugar not filtered through bone char that I eat as often as I want to.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I'm vegan, and I do eat and drink things that have sugar, though I have been trying to stay off of the stuff the last few weeks... (I have a major sweet tooth).<br><br><br><br>
I always buy "Florida Crystals" brand of sugar (available in most regular supermarkets). It's easy to find (which is a plus for me, since there's no Health Food Store in town...), and it is NOT processed thru bone-char - even the pure 'white' and powdered sugar from their brand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts