• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
If it's vegan, yes. Sometimes I'm making brownies or something and I just really want to make it with white sugar. Not that often though. I mostly use honey or maple syrup in my baking. Succanat, too.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I pretty much just stick to organic unrefined sugar - it's convenient and inexpensive for me, thanx to my HFS job. I also enjoy the subtle molasses flavor (yes soilman - okay maybe just a hint, but it's there) it imparts to my food.

I usually use it whether the recipe calls for white or brown sugar. If the recipe is specific about Dark brown sugar, I may add a bit of molasses.

I especially love it for Lemonade. the flavor goes so well with these odd lemons that grow in my yard. (it's weird, it's like they've crossed with tangerines... citrus here is so strange, all interbred...) I made Lemon Drop cocktails and coated the rims of the glasses with the sugar and it was soooo yummy!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max Power, honey isn't necessarily vegan since it involves keeping bees and taking it from them.

It's not that simplistic, but there's lots of info online about it. It's one of those things where some people do use ut and others don't

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I am thinking of getting away from cane bc I have heard about a lot of environmental problems it causes, but I haven't really looked into it, yet. I have a Stevia plant, but it is more for decor, and doesn't produce enough for my coffee and cookies.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, my name is Ruth and I'm a sugarholic. In my attempts to ween myself off of sugar, I've done some research. If you already know this ignore me. From the way I understand it, the FDA requires all sugar to be processed to a point to remove a certain amount of impurities. There are basically 2 types of sugars in the US (sorry,don't know about Canada). There is beet sugar and cane sugar. There are two types of filters used in their processing: bone char filters and granular carbon filters (the latter is animal friendly). Bone char utilizes the bones of animals that have supposedly died of natural causes to extract the sugar's impurities and coincidently remove the brown naturally found in cane. If it's beet sugar, you can just about bet that it was processed using a granular carbon filter. Also, most of the fine granular sugar is beet sugar. Companies that use bone char filters: Domino, Savannah Foods. Companies that use granular carbon filters: Jack Frost, Florida Crystals, Turbinado. Of course, neither of these company listings are inclusive of all sugar producers. Do I use refined sugar? Yes, but I stay away from sugar processed with bone char filters.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i still use plain white sugar cause we have loads of it in the house. i actually posted a thread about this a few days ago and got like one reply, i guess nobody else saw it. so i'll ask my other question here,

does anyone know what refiners syrup is? it's in corn syrup and i want to make sure it's ok cause i've been using corn syrup as a sweetener rather than pay an arm and a leg for real maple syrup

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
LF- I saw your thread! I just didn't know. I agree, I looked at maple syrup at the store, and a 1.89 liter can was $14 US. I thought it might be cheaper for the Canadians with the maple leaf and all, but maybe not, if you're having the same problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WonderRandy

I especially love it for Lemonade. the flavor goes so well with these odd lemons that grow in my yard. (it's weird, it's like they've crossed with tangerines... citrus here is so strange, all interbred...) I made Lemon Drop cocktails and coated the rims of the glasses with the sugar and it was soooo yummy!
Randy is teasing us once again with all of his Hawaiian fruit stories............

i am so jealous, i am so jealous, i am so jealous

did i mention i was jealous??

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
cool thanks!

here's the info if anyone else is curious what it is. it looks ok, to me anyway but i don't know much about these sorts of things

Golden Syrup

Also called Refiners' syrup or Refined Sugar Syrup

Table syrup containing sucrose and invert sugar (sucrose broken down into glucose and fructose)

Made from selected blended refinery cane syrups, which are thickened by evaporation

Used in recipes or as a syrup topping

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

LF- I saw your thread! I just didn't know. I agree, I looked at maple syrup at the store, and a 1.89 liter can was $14 US. I thought it might be cheaper for the Canadians with the maple leaf and all, but maybe not, if you're having the same problem.
naw. well, if you buy it locally it can be less expensive, and much yummier. but if you buy it in grocery stores it's probably the same stuff you buy in the states, and comes in big fancy bottles and likely has all kinds of crap in it you wouldn't get in local real syrup. there was one brand that was fairly cheap and was good, came in a can with a pry-off lid, like a paint can (LOL), if i can find it around here i'll buy some, but i don't trust the other brands i've seen so far, at least not enough to pay $10 for a small bottle of it.

·
Banned
559 Posts
i don't use the refined..unless i know for a fact it's vegan happy and friendly. however, i do eat the sushi rice at my fav place and i'm not sure what kind of sugar they put in that.

otherwise, florida crystals, sucanat (sometimes) or other raw sugar.

sometimes use agave nectar.

i use stevia a lot too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts