VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that has been on my mind for a while.

I know that a lot of white sugar is not vegan.

I've been cooking with sucunat and staying away from pure sugar.

Today, I needed to pick up more sucunat, but ended up walking out with a bag of fructose instead, since it was cheaper and had less calories per serving because you use half as much in place of sugar.

What does everyone else use? What would you recommend? What is the best?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just use unrefined sugar which is vegan. It usually has a creamier color instead of pure white. I haven't really tried experimenting with many other things for sugar replacements, except vegan maple syrup which sometimes works well. I don't think it's lower on calories though, so I'm sorry I can't help you there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sucanat, Turbinado, Honey, Agave Syrup, Maple Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, and I use Stevia quite a bit. I've used Xylitol but didn't really care for it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Btw, my Turbindo (aka raw sugar) is vegan. You can find vegan fine ground sugar.

Also, watch the fructose... a lot of times it's corn derived (in case you're sensitive... or just don't like the effects of corn). [If you find yourself feeling or getting angry more often/quicker - look at the corn. My hubby and one son are extremely sensitive to corn - both become intolerable to be around after eating corn. It's not as uncommon as one might think. Just FYI/FWIW.
]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who would have thought corn would be such a problem? I'll need to watch out...though I think I am just irritable by nature :p

Why does everyone choose the sweetners they use? Are there any health benefits to some that others don't have? Do they taste better? I'm curious about the WHY.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts