VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellos
It's been a while, I miss this forum!

A new friend told me the other day that I am stupid for thinking I can jog at the weight I'm at, so I got angry, wanting to prove him wrong!
He says that I shouldn't do anything where you jump up or down like jogging or jumping rope because when you're overweight it's as if you're pushing down on your joints 200% more than what you weigh, in his words.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 215. I did a walk/jog workout a few months ago, but stopped after just a couple weeks because my shins and ankles were hurting and I was too lazy to work out again after they healed. I told that to this guy and he said that my having shin and ankle pain basically proves that he is right. Grrr!

In past exercise efforts I've managed to strengthen my shins and ankles and get rid of the pain, but it's been a long time since I've been on a real work out schedule, so I'm starting all over again.

So please tell me it's okay to try jogging again! Note that I'll only do it in small baby steps, letting my body adjust to it slowly, with walking in between.

Thanks so much!!

-Haylee

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I don't know the scientific-ness of it. I just know that I don't like jogging or running when I'm fat because I stop and the rest of me doesn't. It just feels and looks gross to me.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliaka View Post

Hellos

So please tell me it's okay to try jogging again! Note that I'll only do it in small baby steps, letting my body adjust to it slowly, with walking in between.

-Haylee
I am no expert, but I do think that if you really take it slowly, exercise consistently over time, and allow yourself to rest well, you will be fine. I would strongly recommend that you visit a good running store and invest in a pair of new shoes that will fit you and have the kinds of supports that you will need. Someone trained should fit you - don't go to one of those "fit yourself" places!

If you do have trouble with your ankles, take walks instead of jogging as soon as you think it might be starting up. Then when it fades, try your jogging again. Best of luck!

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I think you're better off walking. There's no shame in it! There have been a number of articles in the press lately about it's advantages, particularly if you are overwight.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:

Glad your taking charge of your health! No problem in doing what you are describing. You are not "too fat" to jog. The key to weight loss is getting you respiratory up, whether that is speed walking or light jogging. Intervals are great when you get that far, faster then slower then faster again. I would def recommend pushing some weights a few times per week, your results will be faster and better IMO.

Go get 'em!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:

A new friend told me the other day that I am stupid for thinking I can jog at the weight I'm at, so I got angry, wanting to prove him wrong!
He says that I shouldn't do anything where you jump up or down like jogging or jumping rope because when you're overweight it's as if you're pushing down on your joints 200% more than what you weigh, in his words.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 215. I did a walk/jog workout a few months ago, but stopped after just a couple weeks because my shins and ankles were hurting and I was too lazy to work out again after they healed. I told that to this guy and he said that my having shin and ankle pain basically proves that he is right. Grrr!

In past exercise efforts I've managed to strengthen my shins and ankles and get rid of the pain, but it's been a long time since I've been on a real work out schedule, so I'm starting all over again.

Thanks so much!!

-Haylee
I don't think the issue is your weight. I think the issue is one of building up your legs by gradual exercise. See my post (#12) in the walking thread

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=63384

Especially since you've been injured in the past, I'd recommend the "10 percent method." You walk at a moderate pace for 10 minutes three times per week the first week. The second week, you increase the time by 10 percent, making it 11 minutes three times per week. The third week, you again increase the time by 10 percent, making it about 12 minutes three times per week. And so on, increasing your time 10 percent each week. Following this gradual plan will have you walking 45 minutes three times per week in the 17th week.

This is deliberately a very gradual build up, especially in the early weeks.

At that point, I'd recommend you do Kenneth Cooper's Walking plan, and then do his Running/Jogging plan.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
I prefer walking... just 'cause I think it'd terrify people to see me rumbling down the track towards them at speeds faster than a walk.

No, seriously, the advice here sounds pretty right on. I do work up to actual jogging in the summer when I have time (and good weather) to spend outside - otherwise I stick to brisk (my kids jog to keep up) walking most days.

Good for you for getting out there and doing something!

·
Registered
9 Posts
As the above posters said, take it slowly. It might not be that you are "too fat" to jog, but generally (it seems) overweight people are less fit than average-weight people. I am overweight, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'd do what they said to do. I'm not really an expert on excersise. All I can say is, good luck! (And I hope you prove your friend wrong!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks for the information! The guy I mentioned is very WRONG in my opinion, and it seems a lot of you would agree, hee hee *evil laugh*

I will have to take it very slow because I tried a bit tonight when I was taking a walk and my ankles burned a lot. This time around I will only jog when my ankles aren't in actual pain so I don't injure myself. Sound good?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Your friend knows what he is talking about.

It's actually well documented by fitness experts that jogging when you are overweight is bad for you. It's way too much stress on your joints and you're risking injury. It's generally agreed upon that if you're any more than 20% overweight, you shouldn't be jogging.

It'd be much kinder on your body in the long term if you power walked until you lost some of the weight and increased your overall fitness.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The "Biggest Loser" reality show is very inspiring and some of those people double your weight! They are a good example of how your friend is a bad influence and I hope you won’t listen to him! You keep up your efforts and take it slow..."You have more to gain than to loose".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:

I will have to take it very slow because I tried a bit tonight when I was taking a walk and my ankles burned a lot. This time around I will only jog when my ankles aren't in actual pain so I don't injure myself. Sound good?
I don't want to discourage you but at least in my personal experience, jogging is not good for us overweight folks. Anything jarring on the joints has been bad for me so I've been [successfully] losing weight biking, swimming and using the eliptical trainer at a gym. If I were you, I'd stick with low-impact until you shed more weight.

That said, the most important thing you can do is listen to your body. A trainer once told me a long time ago, and I find it quite true, that your workout should never hurt. You may ache, feel sore, feel tired afterwords -- but if you feel pain during the workout, stop immediately because you're doing something your body doesn't like. Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My husband took up jogging when his weight hit 340 lbs. He finished last in his runner's group every week but he kept at it and lost a considerable amount of weight. Just take it slow and consider finding a trainer with a good personality and knowledge base to help you out!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'm certainly *looking* to disprove my friend because he's kind of...annoying...but I'm still open to other suggestions!

I know that pain is NOT good, so when I do jog I make sure to never reach that point.

A concern is that my right knee gave me trouble for the first time in my life a couple months ago when I was jogging more regularly (and by jogging I mean only doing it for less than 2 minutes at a time at most because my muscles aren't in shape!) so I don't know what caused that, but I'm not worried about having weak ankles and shins because the walking will hopefully strengthen them in time, for it has helped them in the past.

I've only seen a few minutes of The Biggest Loser but I do clearly remember seeing them doing lots of jogging, and they were bigger than I am, so that gives me hope!

I love the elliptical machine, as it was my workout of choice during past weight loss experiences, but I can't afford a gym membership right now, not even to the YMCA. I want something free, and jogging makes me feel free like a bird, even with as little as I can do, hehe.

Since I do want to avoid injury, do you think jogging on grass would be low impact enough as opposed to concrete? When I do workout it's usually a walk to and from the local park (only a mile total), with laps walking around the park in the grass - with jogging thrown in. If I choose to only jog on the grass perhaps it would be a lot safer and easier on my joints...?

Sorry about all the rambling,

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I've read that jogging on grass is much better than jogging on concrete. It has something to do with the grass being softer on your joints and less likely to cause impact injury. I'll have to try to find where I read that, though.

I also think your new friend shouldn't do things like give opinions, but that's just my opinion completely.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Concrete and asphalt are the worst to run on, I've heard. Running tracks and flat earth are the best (but running off-track can be uneven and put a different kind of stress on your joints).

·
Registered
20 Posts
It sounds like you are going about it the right way. Build gradually (Joe is righ on with the 10% rule) and focus on enjoying it. Running can either be torture or wonderful, you get to choose...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I also think your new friend shouldn't do things like give opinions, but that's just my opinion completely.
Ha! My thoughts exactly. Actually, I don't think I'll be considering him a friend anymore..he fights me on every little thing I say.

Ok, grass it is!!

I'm excited to get back into the swing of it, and this time with less shock to my joints! I'm too sore from a trail walk I did a few days ago so I took it easy yesterday and today with just walking for an hour. Walking is certainly a much better work out than the sitting, lounging, and sleeping I was doing for a couple months. *ahem*

Thanks for all the great advice guys & gals!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Quote:

He says that I shouldn't do anything where you jump up or down like jogging or jumping rope because when you're overweight it's as if you're pushing down on your joints 200% more than what you weigh, in his words. ...

he said that my having shin and ankle pain basically proves that he is right.

Thanks so much!!
He is right about the extra PSI on your bones when you do high impact exersise. If you are experiencing pain that lasts more than a day, you need to back down. If you have ever heard of hip or knee replacements, most people get them after wearing down their cartelage-- you really can totally screw up your joints with extra weight.

fast walking, or power walking might be a good expedient. A mile walked and a mile ran use nearly the same amoung of calories any way. Swimming would be the ideal exersise till you take off some weight. Also bike riding is another choice, then there is also the gym.

I am the owner of a total bum leg and I can tell you, you dont want to ignore pain in your legs.

-- about the grass-- you can fall in a hole and break your leg if you havent thoroughly gone over the grass.

and overweight people can jog. I am sure on "the biggest looser" these folks had trainers and even possibly medical assistance nearby.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts