VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a lot of great recipes, some from a couple generations that she's made little modifications to. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully veganized any family recipes. Were they a success? Did your family try them?<br><br><br><br>
I think I will start with my mom's oatmeal walnut chocolate chip cookies, and maybe move on to her dark brown extra spicy pumpkin pie. I think there is a little egg and milk in each. I'm not sure how not using egg will make a difference. Probably not as much as it does with say, cake.<br><br><br><br>
It's nice to be able to still eat dishes you've been cooking/eating your whole life.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Choc. chip cookies should be pretty easy. If the original recipe calls for butter, use part Earth Balance and part coconut oil for the best texture.<br><br>
Eggs in the cookies can sub with some blended tofu blended with a little cornstarch and/or ground flaxseed. (About 3 Tb. of tofu mixture per egg).<br><br><br><br>
Milk or cream and egg in a pumpkin pie can be subbed with blended silken tofu OR soymilk, coconut milk and a little cornstarch.<br><br><br><br>
I've veganized several family favorites and no one seemed to be too alarmed - they accepted the differences and either didn't really notice or care much. And you're right, it IS nice to have those family favorites to enjoy for yourself, and to pass down to others...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts