VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH graduated this weekend so I threw a party for him Saturday evening. All of the food at the party was vegan. Ranch dip, hummus, pitas, fresh veggies, fruits, taquitos (from trader joe's), 7 layer dip, pasta salad, tortilla & potato chips, pickles, olives... and probably some other things I'm forgetting. We had about 12 - 15 people present at any given time, and everyone was scarfing on the food. I got compliments on it all night and some people didn't even realize it was all vegan!! It was awesome...

Then my irritating cousin showed up & b***ched for about 1/2 hour about how there wasn't any meat, so what was he going to eat. Whine, moan, whine moan. Then he started telling me that he'd bet I'd eat a steak for $1000. I told him I didn't need any money, so no, I wouldn't do it. He said, "oh but I bet you would!" I kept saying no... that I'm not the kind of person to sacrifice my morals for money. He wouldn't believe me. Finally, he told his wife that they were leaving so that he could get some "real food". Good riddance!!! I was glad that they left - he pi$$ed off all the guests at the party.

Once they left, though, we all went back to having a good time.

Then around 11pm we whipped out the pop-its (you know, those novelty 4th of july paper things that you throw on the ground and they POP!). We took a sober walk to the grocery store to get some red bull & more pop-its, popping the pop-its all the way there. Someone called the cops on us (there were about 6 of us "hooligans"), reporting that we were throwing rocks at cars and house windows. Yeah, right! the peace-loving vegans down the street, throwing rocks!
(note we live in a suburb full of paranoid conservative freaks) TWO cop cars pulled up alongside us as we walked down the street. We showed the police the pop-its. They actually laughed, then told us to just go home and keep the noise down. (sweet!! We made the police logs!!)

Anyway... the party was a success. My first family-wide vegan party was a hit. Hurrah!! (not to mention they were all commenting on how *healthy* we all look - I am not thin (155 pounds at 5'6") but do *feel* healthy, and I think that is what people notice.

amy

·
Registered
870 Posts
Kudos Amy! Why is it that 15 to 16 people who support and encourage us do not have quite the weight of one jerk? I bet you do not invite him again.

Its funny about the pops. I live in hillbilly central, my neighbors still fire their guns into the air when they celebrate (and they usually are not sober when the guns come out) so you wouldn't have had the law called out to put you back into your place in my neighborhood. They might have turned the dogs loose on you (they figure that if the kids get the dogs barking then the kids can deal with them), but I've discovered that if you toss a pastry to them they give up the fight.

Again, congratulations to your DH.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Redbull drink is veg* ????????? Huh ????????? .... Do You mean the alcoholic drink
Urgh, well, I don't drink anyway so I don't know I'm afraid....

........Now, since I assume you bought some on your way from the store, were you then sober too on the way back or not so??
Quote: "there were about 6 of us"
Suggests impaired memory due to alchohol perhaps?
... I mean presuming the US version of "Redbull" is alcoholic of course???

Anyway, glad your vegan party was an overall, successful one!!!

pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its pop-its

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
It sounds like you had a great party, OA. Not only did you "show" people that you can party with tasty health food, you also got the cops to laugh (they called us out for this?) and it sounds like everyone had a really good time without gallons of booze to keep people "lively" or dead things to make them feel like [email protected] with all-night indigestion. I bet some of the people going home that night were talking about how everything was vegan and yet, was recognizeable and flavorful and "what was cousin bone-head's problem, anyway? This was real food... real good food, that is"

Don't be surprized if they start calling you for recipes or to tell you that "that vegan stuff" was better than they expected.

Congratulations on your sucess and congratulations to your DH.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnaconda

.... Do You mean the alcoholic drink
I think it is an apple juice and caffeine herbal energy drink. It is a stimulant like tea rather then a depressive like beer. Or is that Red Dog?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VegAnaconda

Redbull drink is veg* ????????? Huh ????????? .... Do You mean the alcoholic drink
The US version of Red Bull is not alcoholic and it is vegan. My state has a manditory "card everyone" law for all alchohol purchases and most states are starting to adopt it as well. To tell you how strict this law is: if grandma wants a bottle of wine for example, then grandma better be able to show that she's truely old enough to buy that bottle or else "no dice, granny", no matter how old she looks and the people I've seen buy this stuff but were never carded (failure to card brings a huge fine, possible jail time and immediate termination of the job). Also, I checked the web site and there's nothing listed that would impare anything.

I think you're thinking of Red Dog, which is a brand of beer.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Red Bull is some caffeine drink. I don't know - I don't drink it but a couple of people at the party wanted some. They aren't vegan so I have no idea if it is or not.

In any case, there was alcohol so I suppose it wasn't 100% vegan (welllll, except for DH's beer, which is homemade).

And as for handing out recipes - I had people (non-veggies) ask me for the hummus, 7-layer dip, and brownie recipes
The 7-layer dip has a layer of Fantastic Food's taco filling. It is soooo good and people always say they can't tell the difference between that and ground beef (I can, but that's only because I think the FF kind is better - not greasy!!).

I was just excited to have a table FULL of yummy food that implied, "THIS is an example of what vegans eat..."

and then treated our overnight guests (those who couldn't drive) with wonderful date & pecan scones the next morning - the recipe for those was also requested. (I need to post it here - it is excellent. It's from Vegan Planet and incredibly good.)

It made me feel really good. I *do* make exceptions for alcohol, though, so I suppose I can't really say it was totally vegan.... but still. close enough to count for something.

amy

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamila

Kudos Amy! Why is it that 15 to 16 people who support and encourage us do not have quite the weight of one jerk?
Isn't that the truth?!

It is so incredible, isn't it, the power of negativity. We had so many people having such a great time, then one guy comes & spreads negativism all around and it affects the entire party. (even tried to bribe my brother into cutting off his lonnnnng ponytail, to the point of being extremely annoying.)

Just a reminder, I suppose, of how powerful negative energy really is ... but that we can't let the ba*tards get us down!

amy

PS - if you've never tried Trader Joe's soy chorizo & potato taquitos - get thee to a TJ's!! They are amazing. I swear they must put crack in them, they're that good.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OregonAmy

It made me feel really good. I *do* make exceptions for alcohol, though, so I suppose I can't really say it was totally vegan.... but still. close enough to count for something.

amy
That's ok OA. It was vegan enough and I believe it counts. Most prolly wouldn't know about the alchohol being vegan or not (most don't think as far as that). The main thing was that the food was vegan, which was what people would more likely notice anyway, which they did. And those scones sound YUMMA! Please do post the recipe. They sound excellent.

I took a double-look at the site and Red Bull may not be entirely vegan that I can tell, but I believe it is vegetarian so, close enough (eta: I only scanned the ingredients the first time, but took a better look the second time around, which was bad of me
).
Since there were people that wanted it, I wouldn't even count it in the list of "things OregonAmy served" so IMO, you had a wonderful vegan party, with wonderful vegan food, and a wonderful vegan-licious time was had by all!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I like all the B vitamins in drinks like Red Bull and Sobe's Adrenaline, or whatever it's called.

Congrats on the party.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sounds like it was a great party!!
Sorry about your cousin being such a jerk, though, ugh. Sounds like you handled yourself very well! I wouldn't have been so composed.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
woohoo, sound's great!

I brought in a vegan pizza (vegetarian pepperoni & cheese & veggies) to work and everyone scarfed that down. They like to say how they could never eat vegetarian food, but you bring them some and they're all over it.

$1000 for a steak huh. I wouldn't compromise for a single grand, but I'd eat it for $2500.
Though yuch, I never liked steak even when I ate meat.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Red bull is a hypercaffeinated energy drink. No alcohol in there. I've heard that it's vegetarian, no ide aon it's vegan status tho.

And it's greatt hat that ******* left the party. Next time you have a party, put up a sign that says "you are here to drink wine and have fun, not to whine and be glum"

·
Registered
870 Posts
Gotteth thou me unto TJ's and am about to test your treat.

Yumm, thanks for the heads up, I would not have know to look among the otherwise fleshy fair in the freezer case if thou hadst not well spoken.

Shalom

·
Registered
0 Posts
Red Bull is not vegetarian or vegan. It contains taurine, an amino acid which I almost sure comes only from animal sources (this is why cats can't have a healthy vegetarian diet, though I think I read something awhile back about someone trying to synthesize taurine).

Edited to say: by the way, good job on the vegan party. Hummus and pita and other such Mediterranean foods are one of the only vegan things I can get most of my friends to eat...thank god for falafel or I'd be eating limp salad at Shari's when we go out. Yick!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
In red bull, the taurine is synthetic. Well, it was about a year ago, when I heard about it. Best checking with the company. However, I'm not relaly inclined to know, sinc ei no longer drink caffeine, which means that hypercaffeineated drinks are out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Alcohol itself is usually free of all animal products, but sometimes animal products are used in the production. For instance, some wines are clarified with isinglass (which I believe is either fish stomach or bladder, someone please correct me). It's like white sugar - the sugar itself is free of animal products, but if it's processed through bone char (which most refined sugar commonly is), it's not vegan.

And congrats, OregonAmy - it sounds like an awesome party! I remember "pops" from when I was little, although we called them Bang n' Snaps. My brother used to throw them at my feet to make me "dance" (we watched Blazing Saddles a few too many times)!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts