VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
The subways suck over here too. The only veggies they ever have are lettuce and pickels. -_-

I know how you feel though at a math tournament (at a college) the vegetarian option (clearly labeled vegetarian, in huge letters) was full of chicken. I told the person as she was about to it. They gave her wrap with cheese, lettuce, & tomatoes. I guess as a vegan they would have given me lettuce & tomatoes. -.o I ate before I went though, I thought they would have nothing.

I don't necessarily think it was "mislabeled" I just think those people think chickens grow out of the ground and are plants, just like many other "vegetarians" do.

I know I got really off track, but I no longer go to subway. Its horrible, even the lettuce and pickles they do have look extremely old and nasty.

I'm sorry you accidentally ate it.
Because of experiences like yours (and when Friendly's put chicken in my fries) I throughly check EVERYTHING I eat, even if at a friend's house. ;(

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The Subways in both my towns have extremely bad service. The old Subway in my hometown used to be good, until they got new franchise owners. Now they're all

I've only been to the Subway in my school town once, and the woman working there was scary. She acted like we were really disturbing her by coming in and ordering food. It was my first time ordering the Veggie Delight, so I wasn't exactly sure what was in it, but she mumbled everything. We were afraid to ask her to repeat herself, because she appeared to be in such a bad mood.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The subways around me are great. Very clean, and excellent service - they even clean the knife for me before cutting my sandwich. These shops are all franchises and really the level of quality is more a reflection of the franchise owner than the establishment.... Subway however will be glad you wrote, so they can tell them to be more careful with their food. Obviously, mixing up ingredients today is dangerous.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I'm with veggielove on this one. Different Subway stores have vastly different quality.

Here in Delray Beach, Florida, I go to the closest Subway to my office regularly, and it's very clean, has a decent selection of veggies, and they've got the "veggie patties" that apparently not all Subway stores still carry. Unfortunately, those are Morningstar brand, so they have egg whites, but I'm not vegan, so I do still eat them. And there are enough veg*ns around here that the employees of that Subway don't even look at us funny any more when we ask them to use a clean knife to cut our sandwiches.

--Fromper

·
Registered
244 Posts
Personally, i love subway and everytime i go to one there's lots of veggies to choose from. and, they post on their website which breads do not contain dairy products. some of these stories scare me though!

i've heard that some have a veggie burger now.. is that true? if so, is it vegan?

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I like the Subway where I live. It is clean and they know us so well by now, they start preparing our veggie subs when we come in.

However, the Subway in my old hometown is awful. A punk-type dude was behind the counter when we ordered, and he gave this little snicker when we ordered veggie subs. Then he toasted the bread for so long, it was literally crumbling in our hands and the contents were spilling out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used to work at a subway and was disgusted. None of the workers were trained to wash thier hands and acted like I was weird for doing so before making customers a sandwich. I only worked on the weekend but I swear they never cleaned. I was scrubbing mold from the walls and the insects and mold, they literaly made the bread a days before so they could sit around the rest of the week.

I don't like subways, I will never eat or work at one again. eh. yuck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, well i'll tell you what. I work at a Quiznos.. and there are two of us that are vegan working there (very hypocritical, but yeah... money is crucial) And anytime someone orders a veggie we make sure that it a grade A veggie sub. we've even had a few vegans come though, at which point well, the only things weve discovered to be vegan at quiznos really really suck....

But our subway atleast the one i go to here in winston, is great. Their veggie patty is awesome.

Quote:
See the post above yours..... the veggie patties are usually from morningstar and often have egg whites.
NO!!!!! *tears*

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Subways around here are pretty average. The last time I went there, the lady told me the cheese was the best part of the veggie delite.

I went to one in St. Louis, and I swear, it was WONDERFUL!

The guy working there was very nice and enthusiastic. I ordered the veggie delite, and he said he'd "hook me up".
He changed his gloves, got a clean knife, and piled on so many veggies that the sandwich had to be squished down a bit to fit in the package!

It was awesome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
After working at Subway a few years ago, I will never eat there again...

The veggies came in boxes full of fruit flies, a quarter of them had to be thrown away because of mold (the mold we couldn't see on all the other veggies was okay though...as long as it wasn't obviously visible). Lettuce came in bags all pre-shred some of it brown. Subway should definetely not use "EAT FRESH" as their sloggan. ugh.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It definitely depends on which one you go to. Some automatically will switch gloves, clean knives, and have nice fresh ingredients--while at some other places I've gotten a lecture on how it's not "cost effective" to have to constantly switch gloves, seen flies visibly crawling over browned lettuce, and blank stares at (as mentioned) my gift card. Usually you can spot the not so good ones right off the bat though, by just taking a glance around at the general cleanliness.

All of them still always ask me at least three times if I'm sure I don't want cheese though...

·
Registered
564 Posts
here is colorado there are some subways that are awsome and others that sux. the thing that bugs me is they always put the least amount of veggies on the sub one of them i got to pretty regularly. and they make sure to put alot of veggies, but talking about bad expericne in a resraunt this one place told me that if i want to be veggie that was my choice but they refused to serve me something that had meat i could eat what was vegatarian cause i asked if i could et something just with you the meat

rude

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Subways here are ok, but I had a guy give me a hard time because I had not meat, cheese or mayo on my sandwich. Sometimes I try to stay away from them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I was in there the other day, halfway through me saying "I dont mean to be fussy but could you clean the knife?" it was shoved through my sub. complete with .... er.... something that looked like it mightve been thousand island sauce?

I broke off the end of each side of bread it touched and binned the salady bits too. it was busy and the girl barely spoke english so wasnt worth attempting to get another one (really... if you are going to work in jobs requiring customer service, you should understand something like "No cheese" which i already had to repeat several times!). uugh. still. theres practically a subway everywhere (in bristol i last counted four in the city, and i know of one in the burbs im sure theres more) so its something easy to eat if youre out and about + most omnis eat there too. yay to convenience! ramble.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I live in a small town and our subway sucks! The people are very unfriendly, like you are interrupting their lives by coming in, and the subways aren't that good. They put on very little veggies, and half the time the veggies look like they've been left out for a week! However the subways in a city near me are quite good with friendly people. It just depends on where you go, but the subway chain is very inconsistent when it comes to fresh food, cleanliness, and customer service.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Subway's a franchise. You might want to look up the owner of that particular branch, and convey your thoughts directly. Corporate may or may not be as effective.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is true. All the Subways in my town are really clean, nice and they always wipe the knives off for me and vegan family. They hook me up too.

I had a really bad experience with a girl that worked at a subway outside of town, she was rude, had a rather unkempt appearance, and was chomping on gum while she sneezed while making our subs. ( we got like 6 or 7 subs )

The other girl working there was apologizing to my grandma about how rude she was to her, and I was giving her glares,trust me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts