VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of one? I've been looking for awhile but haven't found anything.

I have a cake recipe that calls for a 1/4 cup oil. I was thinking of using 1 or 2 TBSP oil and 2 or 3 TBSP water, (4TBSP = 1/4 cup, right?) maybe less oil or none if possible. Any input?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
is it for health concerns? cause i think if you get a really light, natural non-hydrogenated oil, it's not bad for you. i use sunflower oil most of the time anyway, and don't notice a difference if i use it in place of vegetable oil or butter in recipes.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I was wondering that too LF.

I use olive oil in just about everything I make. I don't think that a good oil is really that bad for. Can be quite good for you in fact.

For margarine, which is just oil really, I use Earth Balance. It tastes fantastic, is reasonably priced, and isn't hydrogenated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

LadyFaile: I'm trying to cut calories and fat intake. I've been craving vanilla cake, so I need to make a lower calorie, lower fat, version. If I figured everything out right my cake shall be at least 864 calories and 28g fat fewer. It just better not taste like crap... or I'm going to be pissed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil is necesssary for your health. Your body needs a certain amount of fat in order to assimilate fat soluble vitamins. Trying to totally cut fat from your diet is harmful. Just make sure that the fats you consume are healthy fats.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only problem you'll find with oils healthwise is when you heat them. That's when it goes from being healthy to actually harmful to your health. Cooking fats at high temperatures, especially frying foods in oil can produce large numbers of free radicals...which in turn cause cancer. Scary.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
yarn, I don't always use cold pressed because of the price...can anyone tell me, again why it is so important?

In one vegan cookbook, it tells me to use olive and in another it says to use canola or soy oil...I always read conflicting info!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When they use heat to extract the oil from the corn, olive, soybean or whatever kind it is. It makes it unhealthy and even dangerous the same as heating oil to high temperatures when using it in cooking does. Like deep frying and such. As mentioned above by Herself.

I use olive oil for somethings, canola for others and toasted sesame sometimes. I am lucky that I have a healthfood store that has very good prices on things.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Mikie writes:

=========

.. margarine, which is just oil really,

==========

Margerine can have lots of ingredients for flavor and texture in addition to oil. Including caseinates (milk protein, curds). Older varieties were made from animal fats. Newer varieties usually contain all vegetable-origin oil, but a substantial portion of it is industrially hydrogenated. This may turn the vegetable oils into a more effective atheroschlerosis generator than naturally hydrogentated animal fats or tropical oils.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like Soy Garden Margarine...kinda hard right out of the tub though. There's no trans fatty junk in their and no animal crap, YEAH. It also contains the good oils/fats you system needs.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
What about those liquid margarines? People say it tastes nasty, but I've had the "Heart Smart Squeeze" kind, and I love it!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I haven't checked out the liquid margerines yet. If they say "liquid vegetable oil" and they don't say anything about any tropical oil being included, or about "hydrogenation" of any of the oil, they might indeed be heart-smart. They could conceivably contain casein, but that would not be bad in re to atheroschlerosis, as far as I know.

Of course, what "heart disease" often really is, is not heart disease, but "circulatory system" disease -- with problems in the heart area of the sick circulatory system, having more of a damaging effect on general health, than problems in other parts of the circ sys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.