VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/art...a-silverstone/

Quote:
I have some guidelines when it comes to clothes, or anything really, says Alicia Silverstone, celebrity authority on the vegan lifestyle. First, I try to find it used so Im not creating more waste. If I cant find it used, Ill make sure its made with an eco material. If I cant find it in either of those categories, Ill buy something regular. But I rarely have to do that. Her no-waste philosophy is shared by Gregory Parkinson, who designed this dress made from recycled silk thats hand-colored with environmentally friendly, water-soluble dyes.
Say what you will about how strictly she adheres to a vegan lifestyle, it seems like she's at least 95% vegan to me and doing a LOT of good for animals with her status. I think the amount of people she's encouraged to eat a more plant based diet is fantastic and I love all the press she's getting

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/art...a-silverstone/

Say what you will about how strictly she adheres to a vegan lifestyle, it seems like she's at least 95% vegan to me and doing a LOT of good for animals with her status. I think the amount of people she's encouraged to eat a more plant based diet is fantastic and I love all the press she's getting
I'm really glad you posted this!
There was that thread where most responders kinda bashed her for saying things that diminished her "veganess".
To me, Alicias been one of Hollywoods best representatives for AR. I can't understand being so strict about everything little thing, every single time, that you alienate those who otherwise would think highly of vegans. We do after all, live in a society where it's bizzare to think about the life of animals on our plate, our feet, or cosmetics. People do care about animals, they're just so conditioned to push it way, way back in their brains so they don't see it. Seems better to gently nudge that concern than scream and shake. The whole "don't suddenly wake up a sleepwalker" thing.
Actually, I have problems with some things made of leather. When I went vegan I gave up a vintage leather bag that was about 30 years old. It was perfect. My current purse is PVC, and about 1 1/2 years old and is badly scuffed at every edge. Scuffed as is, it's going to need to be replaced soon.
I'm not advocating leather in any way, and really can't see using any, no matter how old. I do see a problem with trashing usuable things just to replace them with inferior objects that often are bad environmentally.
I would much rather see more people be "veganish" than have 80% of them totally hostile to the idea.
Alicia strikes me as being much more true about it than Portman ever did.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I just found out she's pregnant!
If she does stray from vegan I hope it's a better reason than "I may want a reg. doughnut", aka Portman!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts